Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally had some time to look at the rig after Ouray. The week before the trip I had the inner tie rods replaced and an alignment. When I got it back there was all kinds of pinging and creaking and pops in the steering, but after cruising to Ouray and working the rig all that seemed to resolve itself.

Upon my return I noticed what felt like my tire lugs biting into the body mount when in reverse at full lock on the drivers side. I was certain this couldn't be the case since I had the mounts chopped ages ago and have never had them rub since. I also have noticed what might be more significant body lean than there is normally on the driver's side, but haven't completely unloaded the rig to compare.

The rub in reverse at driver's full lock is, in fact, the tire rubbing on the body mount. It appears the front drivers wheel is about an inch further to the rear in the wheel well than the passenger. Simple alignment issue, or something more?

Sorry the perspective is off, but I was dodging traffic to get the pics :D

Drivers full lock

Passenger full lock

Drivers static

Passenger static

Thoughts?

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
As a hint when you get it aligned at a dealership or a less than intelligent alignment shop, tell them to move the tires forward towards the forward end of the spec. Last time I got aligned they aligned it to spec, but didn't even bother testing it by turning the tires. I tried to back out the parking space and I couldn't turn my wheels at all without hitting the body (when I never had a problem before).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all. Looks like one of the driver's side caster adjusters slipped, so it's back at the shop to realign and check all the other bendables. We chatted about alignments and lift applications, and a reliable tech was going to go over it with the alignment guy to keep the caster forward as much as possible. Looks like I might revert back to the OEM UCAs as well. The TC uniballs appear to be fading a bit and I'm sick of digging crap out of the upper bezel and trying to keep them lubed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts