Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting a set of fuel wheels for my FJ in 17" 8.5" wide with a -6 offset. I want to run 305/70s (ridge grapplers), I'm pretty confident on the rest of the fitment, I've got aftermarket UCAs and I've done the BMC but here in Australia the cops are pretty strict on wheels sitting out from the flares...:rolleyes:

I'm wondering if anyone is running a combo like this and can tell me if they have much poke?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
OEM FJ Wheels are 17.0" x 7.5" wide with backspacing of 4.84". The wheels you have described are 4.74" backspacing (e.g. 0.1" further out toward the street side from the OEM wheels). In addition to the 1.0" of extra wheel width...so in total the outside edge or street side edge of the alum rim will be 1.1" further outboard from stock spacing.

Now for the tires. 265 width is 10.43"; 305 width is 12.01". So you have 1.58" wider than stock tire but you have increased rim width by 1.0"...so you will see tire bulge or shoulder bulge that is greater than current setup (I'd guess up to 0.6" more split between the inside and outside tire beads).

So, educated guess is that the tire/rim combo will be about ~1.4-1.5" further out toward the street side with that wheel and tire combination. In addition, if your current UCAs are close to touching the current 265 tire, you are only adding 0.1" of additional clearance with backspacing but adding perhaps up to 0.3" off additional tire/shoulder bulge toward UCA.

And, of course all this is guesswork and doesnt take into account different tire design/shoulder lugs etc. As always there is no substitute for trying it out. But in your case you can look right now to see what 1.5" further out does with regard to the OEM flares and feel just how close the current inside tire bulge is toward the UCA to see if there is room if it was decreased by 1/4" to 3/8".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts