Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some info on wheel spacers, mostly why people run them and any disadvantages to running them.

After bending a spindle, I am going to gusset them when I replace the bent one. I am going with the allpro gusset and it can be used with a wheel backspacing of 4.75. I measured my stock 16" off road alloy and I am pretty sure it is closer to 5"BS. So I need to run a spacer.

Other than clearing the gusset, why do people run wheel spacers?
Is there any disadvantage to running them?
I am leaning towards the 1.25" spacer, but I am not sure if it will clear the gusset. Should I go with the 1.50"

I run a 285/75/16 w/coil overs. I run them as low as possible without rubbing.

Thanks!

John

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
If you run a 1.25" wheel spacer on your stock wheel, that will technically change your wheel offset to 3.75".

People run wheel spacers for a lot of different reasons, and I'm sure you will get a lot of different answers, pro and con.

Do a quick search on the subject and you will find the golden ticket.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
All I can say is go with spidertrax, they are the best!!!! I disagree about just for looks I run 1.25 on my jeep and the stability of a wider wheel stance is incredible. I've been on two wheels more than I care to admit to and since I put spacers on it hasn't happened once. Just make sure you use locktite and check TQ on every rotation. Ive never had an issue with mine and would do it again.

Post up picks when your done. Thanks
________
Vaporizerinfo

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I have been doing some research and the common themes is that they cause more stress on the bearings, more stress on the suspension and might cause the tires to rub on the body mount.

Not many plus's for all the negatives. All I wanted to do was gusset my spindles. Oh well, that's the life of mods, everything has its cost.

Can anyone confirm the bs of the oem 16" off road alloy rim. I am pretty sure my measurement is correct and it is close to 5".

I was going to go the body mount chop when I move up to 35's, but maybe I will hold off on the gusset until I can get new rims with the correct bs.

To bad i already ordered the gussets. I guess they will have to wait.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I ran wheel spacers at one time and they made my tires rub on tight turns. I had the body mount chop and they still rubbed. I took them off and sold them. It doesn`t matter what brand of spacer you buy there are plenty of them out there. Spider trax are way over priced compared to most other brands. Don`t use them if you don`t really need to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone run something like these spacers. Seems like the best fit for my use. Just enough to clear the gussets. I saw a post that my bs for the 16x7 rims are 4.59"

Custom Toyota Wheels from Wheeler's Off-Road

opinions?

thanks!

john

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I ran wheel spacers at one time and they made my tires rub on tight turns. I had the body mount chop and they still rubbed. I took them off and sold them. It doesn`t matter what brand of spacer you buy there are plenty of them out there. Spider trax are way over priced compared to most other brands. Don`t use them if you don`t really need to.

You get what you pay for in my world. I want the highest quality grade 8 studs, the dual corrosion coating and Ive read everywhere they are the best. Its $200 for four spacers seems well worth the extra piece of mind to me. If one breaks you will probably be severely injured, die or kill someone else. I want quality grade 8 studs not grade 8 studs made by the lowest bidder. My jeep has been airborne and I've never broke anything but my ribs. Forged is a much better process than cast aluminum but cast is a cheaper process. You decide.
________
Colorado medical marijuana dispensary

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Anyone run something like these spacers. Seems like the best fit for my use. Just enough to clear the gussets. I saw a post that my bs for the 16x7 rims are 4.59"

Custom Toyota Wheels from Wheeler's Off-Road

opinions?

thanks!

john
Avoid those at all costs on the FJ. They are wheel "spacers". On the FJ, the front lug bolts are actually shorter than the rear. Either run a Spidertrax or All Pro Off Road wheel "adapter", no more than 1.25", and get the extended thread "ET" style lugs from All Pro.

You should just consider the option of new wheels with the right offset for your application....Or a quality engineered wheel adapter from the aforementioned manufacturers.

Avoid wheel "spacers"!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Avoid those at all costs on the FJ. They are wheel "spacers". On the FJ, the front lug bolts are actually shorter than the rear. Either run a Spidertrax or All Pro Off Road wheel "adapter", no more than 1.25", and get the extended thread "ET" style lugs from All Pro.

You should just consider the option of new wheels with the right offset for your application....Or a quality engineered wheel adapter from the aforementioned manufacturers.

Avoid wheel "spacers"!
Thanks for the info. Supposedly the stock BS is close to 4.5-4.625" I wish I could get a straight answer.

The gussets have shipped, so I will have to test fit to see if they will work. If not, then you are probably correct and I will have to wait till I can get newwheel with the correct BS.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
758 Posts
There's really no difference in running a 3.75" backspaced wheel vs. a 5" backspaced wheel with a 1.25" spacer. The added stress is essentially the same, and really minimal when you consider the advantages of added stability due to a wider stance and the ability to add a gusset to the rather weak spindles. We sell hundreds of spacers (technically adapters) every month and when installed properly there are absolutely no issues with running them. In fact, I have spacers on the back of my Tacoma to match up with our front LT kit with 4.5" BS WE wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
There's really no difference in running a 3.75" backspaced wheel vs. a 5" backspaced wheel with a 1.25" spacer. The added stress is essentially the same, and really minimal when you consider the advantages of added stability due to a wider stance and the ability to add a gusset to the rather weak spindles. We sell hundreds of spacers (technically adapters) every month and when installed properly there are absolutely no issues with running them. In fact, I have spacers on the back of my Tacoma to match up with our front LT kit with 4.5" BS WE wheels.
Nevermind, I got the info off all pro web site

1 - 13 of 13 Posts