Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got my tires today and i put my lift on last weekend. I have the Toytec 3" and 295/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler AT's mounted on stock alloys. I would like for the tires to stick out a little more. I think it would look a great deal better as well as get the inside of the tire a little further away from the UCA's. They aren't touching, but they still make me a little nervous.

I have heard in the past that wheel spacers aren't all that safe. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Also, currently the tires do not rub on the body mount, but they are awful close (like 1/8") when I turn them on flat pavement (haven't had it wheelin yet to see if they rub then). If I use the spidertrax spacers to bring them out an inch and a half will this make that worse or better? It seems like it would make it worse, but I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has done this.

By the way, i tried to search and find info on this before posting, but the search is a little cryptic, so sorry if this duplicates another question.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Search for spider trax or under my sn. I have bolt on spacers with 5k miles and no issues yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
all i know is that the fj was designed around a certain wheel size, tire size, and backspacing... spacers change that geometry, and cause forces and moments (think physics....) where they're not supposed to be... but, you'll have issues with any changes from stock if you're talking equipment lasting as long as the factory gear would... if you understand how everything works and the effects of changes, you'll be fine... Keep an eye on everything and if you can't tell, it never hurts to have a trained set of eyes on it every once in a while...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have custom 1" spacers, with separate bolts and had them 2+ years 20k miles , no issues. I have very heavy tires and rims also. I had a stock front shock leak oil but that could have been from off-roading. Every time I go in for a tire rotation I have them re torqued and checked.

I love the wider stance.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I spacers look good if you bring the tires to where they fit flush as looking down the side from the front.
I think the jeep guys that have huge spacers and then extremely wide wheels that aren't very tall look silly. (that stick out past the fenders a good 4-5 inches and the tires are only 31's)

Chatsworth, did you notice any difference in cornering stability running spacers?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I spacers look good if you bring the tires to where they fit flush as looking down the side from the front.
I think the jeep guys that have huge spacers and then extremely wide wheels that aren't very tall look silly. (that stick out past the fenders a good 4-5 inches and the tires are only 31's)

Chatsworth, did you notice any difference in cornering stability running spacers?
I had a good test cause I bought the lift, spacers, tires and rims all at the same time. When they went to do the install, the company sent the wrong bolt pattern on the rim. So for a day I had just lift ,spacers, with stock rims and tires.
The only big difference I noticed on street driving was I had a much better turn radius, thats with the stock tires and rims.
Im sure I got more stability , both from wider tires and wider stance. Im sure bellydoc could point out the exact psychics.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I had a good test cause I bought the lift, spacers, tires and rims all at the same time. When they went to do the install, the company sent the wrong bolt pattern on the rim. So for a day I had just lift ,spacers, with stock rims and tires.
The only big difference I noticed on street driving was I had a much better turn radius, thats with the stock tires and rims.
Im sure I got more stability , both from wider tires and wider stance. Im sure bellydoc could point out the exact psychics.
I think you mean physics. :lol:
I understand the physics of it pretty well, i have a BS in physics. The wider your base, the more stable.
With your wide tires and spacers, do the bushwackers still cover the tires or are they further out than the fenders?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Here is a pic of mine with factory rims with MTR's and 1.25" spider trax spacers. Just after pics for your reference.

Hope this helps. 3000 miles and no issues. I used that thread lock stuff and the spacers. Loctite.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think you mean physics. :lol:
I understand the physics of it pretty well, i have a BS in physics. The wider your base, the more stable.
With your wide tires and spacers, do the bushwackers still cover the tires or are they further out than the fenders?
Yea auto spell check and jagermeister dont mix.
The bushwackers are just almost dead on as far as coverage, they solved tire spray issues. I use to have a huge issue with going through gutters, water in pot holes, and gutter water, spraying the sides of my doors. Im sure due 2 combo of spacers and tires that look like a riverboat paddle wheel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know if this will worsen the body mount rub issue. Currently, mine is not chopped and it doesn't rub at all. I'm thinking that bringing the wheel out 1.5" will definitely make it rub. By the way thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can run without them. I just think it will look a lot better with them and I won't have to worry about the tire rubbing on the UCA's when i air them down. Now I just have to decide if all that is worth cutting my body mount.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
A few thoughts... If you are close to hitting the
body mounts now, the 1-1/4" spidertax will
increase the tire swing and make it worse, and
you will rub the mounts...

If you are worried enough about the UCA rub,
you could opt' for a set of UCA's from All-pro,
TC, or even the new ones from lightracing, all
which will give you better more clearance at
the tire...

If you are really looking for that wider stance,
then you will need to get the mounts chopped
prior to adding the spacers...

Money, well, UCA's are not cheap, but the
spacers will run you 2bills plus shipping, and
the UCA's start at I believe $499 for the AP's,
and up from there...

I added the spacers to my FJ, to give me a tad
more clearance of the upper fender wells when
off roading by using the tires like the rock rails
to keep trees and such away, and they also
put my tires in line with my all-pro rock rails,
and gave me a tad more stability due to the
wider foot print...

OH yeaa... I have had the spiderrax on since I
believe summer to fall of 06', and not one issue
at all, and they never loosened up either (I do
check when rotating the tires and/or working on
other suspension items)...

·
Registered
379 Posts
all i know is that the fj was designed around a certain wheel size, tire size, and backspacing... spacers change that geometry, and cause forces and moments (think physics....) where they're not supposed to be... but, you'll have issues with any changes from stock if you're talking equipment lasting as long as the factory gear would... if you understand how everything works and the effects of changes, you'll be fine... Keep an eye on everything and if you can't tell, it never hurts to have a trained set of eyes on it every once in a while...
I have been running spacer for 65k miles on my fj. and its not hurt one thing, good tire wear and so forth

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Why do so many people go with the 1 1/4" spidertrax? I was thinking 1" would be enough for me? Do you need the xtra 1/4" to clear the studs? Anyway, I've been debating this for quite some time... mostly for stability reasons. But, I have to admit, the way they make the stance look is high on the reason list. :rocker: Glad to hear so many people are having no issues with long term use. I knew these things were taboo to some in the beginning.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why do so many people go with the 1 1/4" spidertrax? I was thinking 1" would be enough for me? Do you need the xtra 1/4" to clear the studs? Anyway, I've been debating this for quite some time... mostly for stability reasons. But, I have to admit, the way they make the stance look is high on the reason list. :rocker: Glad to hear so many people are having no issues with long term use. I knew these things were taboo to some in the beginning.
1" would be good, but 1 25" is the very max. I ran with 1.25" to get the tire as far away from the upper control as I can.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I think that the popular brand (Spidertrax) only makes them in 1.25". The one person who had 1" in this thread said they were custom. So availability is probably the answer. By design, the thicker spacer is stronger because there is more material between the bolt head and the mounting surface.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I think that the popular brand (Spidertrax) only makes them in 1.25". The one person who had 1" in this thread said they were custom. So availability is probably the answer.
Didn't realize that.... looking at them, it appeared that the bolts were recessed in an extra 1/4" so... it seemed like 1" would work to me.

By design, the thicker spacer is stronger because there is more material between the bolt head and the mounting surface.
Good point... We would have to have someone measure the mounting surface thickness between a 1" and 1-1/4"... I bet they are pretty close though.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Here is a pic of mine with factory rims with MTR's and 1.25" spider trax spacers. Just after pics for your reference.
That about the way my setup looks along the fenders but what got me there was totally different. 1st, my AR Teflon Chambers are 17 x 9 which is much wider than stock. 2nd, these wheels are 4 1/2" backspacing but have a -12 offset. Combine the two with 33" tires and you have an immediate need for a body mount chop. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Also we are going with spidertrax due to its hub centric design. :rocker:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.