Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to possibly put some wheel spacers on my rig and was wondering what some of you thought was the best width(1";1.25";1.5";etc) for the FJ. What's the pros and cons (ie: body mount rub) of spacers and what width provides the best stance and tracking for the FJ with 285's, stock rims, and a 3" lift. At the same time I'm planning on putting an after market UCA on to get the most out of the caster adjustment. What are the benefits of going with a wheel spacer that is hub centric? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Wheel spacer are a hatem or lovem part.. Many dont like wheel spacers because it moves the wheel and tire center line further out from the suspension and changes the geometery of loads on the bearings.
SO pros are increased wheel track width.. clearence for wider tires and wheels...give it a better looking stance..
Cons.. Increaased angle loads that can cause bearing to prematurely go bad, extra maintanence as you do need to recheck the torque of the lug nuts holding them on periodicaly.
Now that you have that small info
I am running 1.25" on My FJ along with 35"tires .. I needed the extra clearence. I have had them on there for 15000 miles with no issues.. on or offroad!
the width is entirely up to you.. running your set up i wouldnt go wider than the 1.25" you really wont gain anything and with the wheel /tire combo.. it will greatly increase your load on the bearings do to the back spacing of the wheel your running
I would never go more than 1.5 on the FJ or any other on road vehicle!
Hub centric is just that.. it is machined with tight tolerences to fit the Hub perfect to give you better balance and greatly lessens the chance of vibration
Non-hub centric align to the studs and there is the chance that it will allow just enough varence to creat a vibration at highway speeds
Hope this helped... I am sure several people will continue to chime in and give their opinions on the pros and cons... :cheers:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ive read both arguments on here for years. I like the idea...

What is the stress difference of a spacer and deep set in wheel?

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Im not good with explaining through words.. Im a hands on teacher /learner..
If you take a standard wheel that is 8" wide and place the mounting flange dead center to it.. All weight applied to that wheel is centered. as you move the flange in or out it changes it Leverage point... On top of that add with say going to a 9 or 10" wheel it increases even more.. Stick a spacer that moves the entire wheel away from the center line of the hub/suspension and it alters the center line for the over all suspension. increases the chance to bend or break parts.
Many say they can tell a difference in the steering charateristics... nothing bad. might move around more on uneven road or increased steering feed back of gravel or rough off roads

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Are you sticking with the stock fenders? Or going the Bushwacker route?

I think you're going to want to do the body mount chop regardless of which spacers you go with.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm in the same boat, going from stock 265/70R17 to 285/75R16 wheels (BFG MT or ProComp MT). my FJ is already lifted and, based on what I've read so far, I don't think I would need to do any body chop for slightly wider tires.

I'm also wondering about benefits of spacers for me, but, thanks to mad_mechanix's explanation, can't really see any other than better look...

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I added the spacer for 2 primary reasons...
Main reason... with the 35x12.5 Nitto mud grapplers on 18" motometal wheels, when I turned full turn and had the suspension under load (uneven trails or terrain) the inside rubbed bad.. With the 1.25 I really got to have it in a bind for it to rub now
the LOOK I love and have always loved big wide tires sticking out from the side of the truck.. it gives it a wider meaner stance....
If it hadnt been for the rubing I Probably would never have gone with them

·
Registered
175 Posts
that's one mean-looking machine! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You can eliminate the need for buying wheels with a different backspacing. Sadly, most wheels don't have very many different backspacings. The wheels i have looked at only have one for the correct bolt pattern and size wheel i need. And its usually not what i want, ha.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this will give you a idea of what I'm running....

mad_mechanix your rig looks sick! I would like to have a very similar set up in lift height, tire size and stance but I just can't justify the cost at this time. In other words I just don't have the cash for it :mecry:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added the spacer for 2 primary reasons...
Main reason... with the 35x12.5 Nitto mud grapplers on 18" motometal wheels, when I turned full turn and had the suspension under load (uneven trails or terrain) the inside rubbed bad.. With the 1.25 I really got to have it in a bind for it to rub now
the LOOK I love and have always loved big wide tires sticking out from the side of the truck.. it gives it a wider meaner stance....
If it hadnt been for the rubing I Probably would never have gone with them
I don't like to do a mod unless it provides some sort of a performance improvement. I like the stance spacers give plus I was hoping it would help with off-camber situations on the trail and give a better track to the FJ. But from what I've been hearing it looks like wheel spacers are doing more harm than good if you really don't need them on your rig for tire clearance. Along with premature bearing wear, it sounds like spacers will set you up for potential body mount rub and fender rub. I had a conversation with Mark at Metal Tech earlier today about wheel spacers and he was saying the same thing, if you don't need wheel spacers for tire clearance you're better off not doing it because of the extra stress and wear they can add to the wheel bearings and I guess they are not cheap to replace.
Are you sticking with the stock fenders? Or going the Bushwacker route? I think you're going to want to do the body mount chop regardless of which spacers you go with.
I'm really trying to stay away from doing the body mount chop and as far as changing out the stock fenders, I'm really trying to put a stop to the upgrades and mods if I really don't need them. Can't spend all my money on the FJ, need some funds to do other things in life. :jester: If it will give a performance improvement I'm open to doing it, if not, I would rather not spend the cash. Thanks everyone for the input on wheel spacers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can eliminate the need for buying wheels with a different backspacing. Sadly, most wheels don't have very many different backspacings. The wheels i have looked at only have one for the correct bolt pattern and size wheel i need. And its usually not what i want, ha.
this is where it gets even more confusing :(
I guess I'll just go to a tire shop, tell them the tires/wheels I want and let them figure it out...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts