Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well as I impatiently await my new 2011 FJ Cruiser to arrive (see the Aussie forum - you'll understand) I have been trolling through the Wheels and Tires forum to get an idea of what people are doing/recommend etc. and I have to say thanks to everyone it's been a great read so far.

I am not sure if I should post this here or in the newbies section but here goes.

I have decided to stay completely stock in regards to wheel/rim size. Here in Australia we get one choice only (so far) from the factory being 17" rims with 265/70 (R/T) tires. I have read all the pros and cons of wider tires (and rims) and narrower (pizza cutters) and based on what I have read I think the Toyota engineers got it right... Only in the context of standard "mixed terrain" that many average punters like myself will use them them for.

Flame if you will but all I am saying is from what I have read there is no need to change from the stock size unless you are looking at doing a particular activity more than anything else - for general purpose off/on roading standard seems to be a good middle-ground - as you would expect.

Now... having said that there is the matter of what type of tire :thinkerg: now that is going to fill my mind for some time to come while I wait, wait, wait............

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi all,

Well as I impatiently await my new 2011 FJ Cruiser to arrive (see the Aussie forum - you'll understand) I have been trolling through the Wheels and Tires forum to get an idea of what people are doing/recommend etc. and I have to say thanks to everyone it's been a great read so far.

I am not sure if I should post this here or in the newbies section but here goes.

I have decided to stay completely stock in regards to wheel/rim size. Here in Australia we get one choice only (so far) from the factory being 17" rims with 265/70 (R/T) tires. I have read all the pros and cons of wider tires (and rims) and narrower (pizza cutters) and based on what I have read I think the Toyota engineers got it right... Only in the context of standard "mixed terrain" that many average punters like myself will use them them for.

Flame if you will but all I am saying is from what I have read there is no need to change from the stock size unless you are looking at doing a particular activity more than anything else - for general purpose off/on roading standard seems to be a good middle-ground - as you would expect.

Now... having said that there is the matter of what type of tire :thinkerg: now that is going to fill my mind for some time to come while I wait, wait, wait............
If I understand you correctly you are saying the stock *size* is correct, but not necessary the specific stock tire you get from the dealership...yes?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my view... The stock tires are more designed/aimed at (at least here in Australia) road only driving with very little mixed terrain driving. If you think about it Toyota spends millions/billions of dollars developing cars, so they wouldn't just choose any old wheel/tire size. It may still be a compromise but one that is going to suit most people, most of the time...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Crui5erFJ, I think you are on the right track to wait and see. Go out and enjoy your FJ and experience the stock capability with your daily driving and offroad adventures. This vehicle is built very well to handle most situations. If you find over time that you desire more challenging trails, then future modifications will be in your horizon.

I live in the flat farm country of Kansas, but travel to the mountains of Colorado once a year to get the satisfaction of offroad driving (old mining trails mostly). My vehicle is stock, except for rock rails. I have the 16" rims and 265/75R16 tires rated for light truck.

Welcome to the forum and experience the fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts