Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched, but can't find any answers to these questions:

1. Which backspacing is better with which tires?
2. If you run Wheeler's steelies, which tires are you running and do you rub on the UCAs or Body Mounts?

I have the OME heavy front, med rear setup and know that I want to get some 16" wheels. I'm a simple fan of the black steelies (which I run now), but would like the simplicity, cheapness, and strength of some 16" steelies.

Please advise. I have not done the body mount chop, but my brother can weld and will do it for me in about a month.

If you are running 16" and BFG KM2's you're my hero, please tell me how you got it to work!!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You should be fine with anything up to 34s or 12.5 sections if you have the mounts chopped.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be fine with anything up to 34s or 12.5 sections if you have the mounts chopped.
Thanks.

My concern is only about rubbing on the UCAs... The body mount is an easy fix... I'm still hoping for someone that's running Wheeler's steelies to post what tires they run!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks.

My concern is only about rubbing on the UCAs... The body mount is an easy fix... I'm still hoping for someone that's running Wheeler's steelies to post what tires they run!
Just don't go too wide and you won't have to worry about the UCA. The backspacing on the Wheeler's wheels is near stock.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Currently running with Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 - 265-75R16.
No problems no rubbing

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm running wheeler's 4.5" BS steelies with 255/85-16 Maxxis Bighorns. Chopped the bodymount and have been carefree since.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I went the opposite way and used the 4" backspacing with 305/70-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Body mount chop was all that I needed. I'm pretty sure the 305's would NOT have worked had I gone with the 4.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet. anybody got some pics...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dynapros

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
THe wheelers steelies are actually just the pro comp rock crawlers 87 series but made with that certain back spacing for them of 4 and 4.5 inches. This is what they told me when i called them on the phone.
If you want to run a wider tire (wider than 11inches), id go with the smaller backspacing 4" and wait and see if you need to chop the mounts.

Click on my build up in my signature and you can see pics of those wheels with 34" swampers.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Are these the 4 or 4.5" backspaced units? I'll be running similar sized tires until the cookie cutters come in.
4.5" BS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts