Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FNG here with a dumb a** question. When getting in to some serious wheelin' do you/should you disconnect the sway bar? If it should be disconnected when do you do that? Here is the situation, if I load up the FJ with all of the super cool camping, wheelin' and hiking junk then drive 14 hours to my top secret isolated camp spot, I want that sway bar connected for on pavement driving, right? So when it comes time to roll off road do you diconnect the bar? Remove it completely? Or just leave the damn thing alone! What if you have skid plates? If it is disconnected does it allow better wheelin'?It would seem like it would to me, but I'm an FNG so let the education begin.....:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Please don't just disconnect it, you will damage your CV boots. If you want to take it off, it is really easy (6 bolts, more if you have the stock "bling" skid plate).

There is plenty of debate on this subject and I've provided some threads for you to read for yourself. I take it off, it "feels" like its gets more articulation. But, if you read Bellydoc's responses (who is very respected in his knowledge and ability to articulate technical subjects) who disagrees with this premise. Reading a couple of these will help you make the decision for yourself...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/50394-front-sway-bar-disco-pro-con-confusion.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/46771-sway-bar-disconect.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/9645-disconnected-flex-pics-rock.html?highlight=swaybar+disconnect

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/21146-bandi-steps-up-complete-swaybar-disconnect-development.html?highlight=swaybar+disconnect

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I "feel" smarter already, but in reality it is not true! Ha! I'm not ready to crawl under there to disconnect/remove anything until I get done reading these threads from people who have been there and done that, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
When I go somewhere for an extended period of serious wheeling (Moab, etc.), I remove the front swaybar. The vehicle does fine with it on (as many will attest), but the stock swaybar links are prone to breaking under severe conditions, which causes them to drop down and tear the CV boots, which in turn leads to other problems. For close to home, short wheeling trips I leave them on and just check the links periodically. It doesn't take long to remove the swaybar once the front skid is off, so the process isn't a pain in the ass to accomplish. I did buy a pair of the All Pro swaybar links but they're much more difficult to install/remove to I just keep them as a backup in case the stock units explode.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
When I go somewhere for an extended period of serious wheeling (Moab, etc.), I remove the front swaybar. The vehicle does fine with it on (as many will attest), but the stock swaybar links are prone to breaking under severe conditions, which causes them to drop down and tear the CV boots, which in turn leads to other problems. For close to home, short wheeling trips I leave them on and just check the links periodically. It doesn't take long to remove the swaybar once the front skid is off, so the process isn't a pain in the ass to accomplish. I did buy a pair of the All Pro swaybar links but they're much more difficult to install/remove to I just keep them as a backup in case the stock units explode.

Jim
You must love cracking your knuckles Jim, I'm too lazy for that . I'll have to send Sara under there with a wrench :lol:.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The rear sway bar and control arm will limit you, but the IFS sway bar is not going to give you much of anything extra as the IFS itself is the limiting point not the sway bar. If you fix the IFS to droop more, yes, removing the sway bar will benefit you. Actually too much droop on the IFS can potentially cause you CV issues unless the center axle has been relocated as it is int the 6" lift kits.

In the rear the solid axle is naturally going to droop as much as it can and w/o a sway bar (and control arm) it droops more.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
The rear sway bar and control arm will limit you, but the IFS sway bar is not going to give you much of anything extra as the IFS itself is the limiting point not the sway bar. If you fix the IFS to droop more, yes, removing the sway bar will benefit you. Actually too much droop on the IFS can potentially cause you CV issues unless the center axle has been relocated as it is int the 6" lift kits.

In the rear the solid axle is naturally going to droop as much as it can and w/o a sway bar (and control arm) it droops more.
Don't you run the risk of unseating your rear springs by removing the rear sway bar???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts