Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! I'm going to Pismo Beach CA this weekend for the Cruiser Surf n Turf taking, but I've never wheeled in the sand before! I know to air down but how low? And what gear ? 4low or 4hi? Any tips would be great!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
10 lbs is a good starting point if you are strictly goind on sand. Lower if you are getting stuck.

You want a larger contact patch.

4 Hi is okay unless you cannot get started out in Hi 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Keeping momentum going is important in sand if it's deep soft stuff or you're going uphill, so your mud tires don't dig in. Because they're trying to dig in your front end will slalom in soft sand, and you'll feel like you don't have as much steering control as you normally would, but once you get used to feathering the gas to compensate it's a lot of fun. I suppose it MIGHT be even more fun if someone were to disable their nanny's and do doughnuts in 2WD if there were plenty of space. Of course I would never recommend such a thing, it just crossed my mind.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually the proper way to drive on Sand is to just drive on it just like you did on the Highway. Do not air your tires down or anything. The reason for driving like that is, so once you are hung up, you have tricks to fall back on to get yourself unstuck. Such as letting air out of your tires, using 4 wheel drive then if you have it. Using a 5 gallon bucket to get water to put under your wheels, as wet sand will pack harder and making it easier to drive out. carrying a shovel and Burying your spare tire in the sand and using a highlift jack to winch yourself out, ett,etc....

These are but just some of the tricks used to get yourself out of sand, if no one else is around. If you get hung-up in sand with all your tricks already used such as 4x4, air downed tires ect,etc Then you will be really hung up. Have fun!

·
Banned
10 Posts
Actually the proper way to drive on Sand is to just drive on it just like you did on the Highway. Do not air your tires down or anything. The reason for driving like that is, so once you are hung up, you have tricks to fall back on to get yourself unstuck. Such as letting air out of your tires, using 4 wheel drive then if you have it.
What???? That does not make any sence . If you air down properly you won't get stuck in the first place.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Air down but not below 20 lbs... You risk popping a bead and tire damage. Anything below this requires beadlocks (IMO).

If you get stuck, first get out and assess the situation. The first option is usually to try and shovel a path out. People get hopelessly stuck when they try to "rev their way out"; which usually just digs you in deeper.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Air down but not below 20 lbs... You risk popping a bead and tire damage. Anything below this requires beadlocks (IMO).

If you get stuck, first get out and assess the situation. The first option is usually to try and shovel a path out. People get hopelessly stuck when they try to "rev their way out"; which usually just digs you in deeper.
X2. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I always run 13 to 15 on rocks or sand and never sllipped a bead or got tire damage, I think it depends on your tire wheel combo. By the way, nize zombie revival o this thread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I air down to 12-15 as well. This is a requirement on the ORV corridor on cape cod. Not that they enforce it. My friend only aired down his durango to 20 and ended up being unable to climb a hill. The ranger asked about his tire pressure...doh!. he aired down to 13 and got up the hill.

Not sure how different tires handle it though. I have the stock BFGs ATs on my FJ and have never gotten stuck on the beach. Keep it on 4-hi unless I have a tough hill coming up in which case I go 4lo.

low and slow on the beach.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I went down to 18 psi with my GY MT/R's and it was fine. Ran most of the time in 4-lo and 3rd gear...you can pick the gearing option you like best. Never got stuck but mud tires do dig a lot in the sand. Had to take a couple of runs at certain places but no big deal.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
One note about Pismo
If you go back in the dunes, you need a flag. It needs to be at least 8 feet in the air. ATV shops have them with all kinds of mounting solutions. At night the flag needs to be lit. The dunes have really steep rolls. Don't fly over one without knowing how steep it is. I think thats common sense but if you have never done the dunes it all kinda looks the same so you loose perspective.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The FJ did great at Pismo. I ran in 4 HI the hole time. I didn't air down when we first got there. Next to the water the sand is pretty hard. When I did air down to do the dunes(18lbs), boy! could you tell the difference. Much more grip. As for flags at Pismo about the one thrid of people used them, its not mandatory. Keeping up momentum is key, but watch out for drop offs as for it is very hard to see elevation change.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have never drove a 4x4 on the beach down here. Nor have I ever aired down, but I also have never been stuck. The key is to not stop in soft sand unless you absolutely have to, just keeping your momentum up is crucial. Also if your parked and trying to leave, do not turn your wheel until you are moving. I see so many people who turn the wheel in 2x4 trying to back up, get dug in, and have no clue why they are stuck.

Or you could just use your locker. Took my Taco out to the beach the first time a week or so ago, locked it, no problem at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts