Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin' Everyone,

I'm planning a trip up to Lake Tahoe, kinda a long weekend get away for me and my woman. We'll be there for a few days so I'll have some time to get Slim dirty.

Anyone know of some scenic trails we can drive? Not looking for anything too challenging since we will likely be alone.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
~Brian

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mornin' Everyone,

I'm planning a trip up to Lake Tahoe, kinda a long weekend get away for me and my woman. We'll be there for a few days so I'll have some time to get Slim dirty.

Anyone know of some scenic trails we can drive? Not looking for anything too challenging since we will likely be alone.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
~Brian
There are several areas, but the key will be "WHEN" -- Snow is an issue into June, so knowing the when will help steer you into the correct area.

You could drive up to Tahoma, and drive the back side of Rubicon Trail, up to the Outlook in a fairly stock rig, with minimal, if any damage risk. Miller lake is nice and easy along the way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are several areas, but the key will be "WHEN" -- Snow is an issue into June, so knowing the when will help steer you into the correct area.

You could drive up to Tahoma, and drive the back side of Rubicon Trail, up to the Outlook in a fairly stock rig, with minimal, if any damage risk. Miller lake is nice and easy along the way.
The "When" is in July so snow shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll research those trails.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
467 Posts
There are a lot of different areas up there... July should be a great time... I would still head up to Tahoma, and cut into Miller lake, and travel as far as you feel comfortable. You could also head up to 80, and do Eagles Lake (see thread in Norcal Forum).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would NOT suggest running the back side of the con to lookout with a stock rig.
Last july was worse then the previous and thats a bad idea to run alone.

You should never wheel alone.
Seriously? Tahoma to look out? What do you consider "worse"?

How far would you consider going in? I've seen stock rigs there many times.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Seriously? Tahoma to look out? What do you consider "worse"?

How far would you consider going in? I've seen stock rigs there many times.
Stock RIGSSS.

Going in there alone can get you jacked up really quick. It is easy but the small boulder field toward the end spells trouble for someone alone with out spare parts or another rig to yank them out.

I dont think its a good idea to wheel barney riley alone and I got out of there in 2wd.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should never wheel alone.
Generally, I agree with that statement and I'm not looking to do any technical wheeling. Basically I'm looking for some dirt roads into the back country.. Nothing over a dificulty rating of 3 or 4.

My rig isn't stock and I can handle worse, but I don't like to get out into the rocks and climbs w/o other rigs along.

Who knows.. Maybe I'll try and throw together a group run while I'm up there... :rocker:

·
Registered
467 Posts
That may be during Jeep Jamboree, so it may be real crowded.

Driving in from Tahoma is fine, and you will have fair warning before it gets too bad. There are always people out and about up there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Kokopeli,

Throw this out to my fellow club members. These guys have decades of wheeling experience in Lake Tahoe and Northern Nevada. And if you're looking for scenic trails, Jumbo Grade is a good option. It's off of Highway 395 between Reno and Carson City. Easy trails, but awesome views, and at the end you can drop into Virginia City and find some great smokehouse BBQ.

These guys are very knowledgeable about this region, and have been a great help to a newb like me. They're always willing to share their knowledge.

NV- Battle Born Cruisers of Northern Nevada - IH8MUD.com Forum

·
Registered
201 Posts
we did blackwood canyon and ellis peak last july.

Blackwood Canyon/ Ellis Peak run 7/19/2007

it was relatively easy, except for the hill rockyfj climbed.
I have to agree with Potato this run was a comfy and slightly bumpy run. Not really technical at all. Some spots that could be considered technical but you can easily bypass them. The Scenery is really good with a great lunch spot at the top of Ellis peak looking over Lake Tahoe and other peaks in the distance. Great 360 views. Even saw a bear running across the trail. Well Potato did but he didnt get his camera ready in time :)

Highly recommend for an easy to moderate day trip.

My two cents

RockyFJ

·
Registered
102 Posts
try this loop:
Google Maps

it starts above at the barker pass road, and head west. then go south and then meet up at the exit of the rubicon trail.

last time i ran this, stock trucks i went with had no issues...

just dont GO ALONE...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts