Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Steel or Aluminum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched and didn't find any thread that directly compares the Pros/Cons of both. So far I've been searching for aluminium to save weight but there is little out there that is the same or lighter than the stockers in 18in sizes. So I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.

I hoping to tap into your guys/gals experiences over the years.

Has anyone actually damaged an aluminium wheel where in the same or similar situation they though or have seen a steel wheel survive?

Basically whats your preference between the two and why?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
If you are trying to find a lighter wheel than stock in a larger size your going to be hard pressed to do so. I'm sure there are a few out there (not counting forged wheels). Larger wheels require more material than their smaller counterparts (same wheel 16" will be lighter than the same wheel in 18").

·
Registered
493 Posts
What kind of tires are you going to put on the 18" wheels?
Are they for street, or of road?
Whatever you might save in the rim weight will be more than used up if you put some large AT tires on them. You might be giving up rim strength also with the
lighter rims also.

KyFJGuy

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly street, likely Nitto Terragrappler in 285/60-18 on an 18x9 wheel, should match the stock tire OD nicely.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Whatever you might save in the rim weight will be more than used up if you put some large AT tires on them. You might be giving up rim strength also with the
lighter rims also.

KyFJGuy

Key word there is "MIGHT".....Lighter wheel doesn't mean a loss in strength. It is heavily dependent on the wheel design and mfg process. There are several companies that make extremely light wheels which are incredibley strong.

Your CVs will thank you quite a bit for the reduction in rotational mass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts