Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my leather steering wheel in my 2008 TTSE FJ Cruiser had seen better days and I really wanted to do something about it.

I really didn't want to have to go through the hassle of removing the steering wheel and sending it off to a company to be professionally re-wrapped and I didn't want a tacky cover from Wal-MArt or anything like that. But then from the following thread I learned about Wheelskins:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/6515-wheelskins-com-2.html

Looked like a nice product from the YouTube videos I looked up and from their website: Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor

So I decided to dive in! I first ordered their EuroTone Two Color cover since I wanted to get a 2-tone color scheme that reminded me of the 2012 TT that had red on the steering wheel. I didn't want the perforated option they offer since that isn't my taste but it is cool that they have options like that.

The first one I ordered was white and charcoal which I discovered was a mistake since the charcoal color they offer wasn't close to matching anything on the interior of the FJ even though the interior color scheme of out FJs, like the seats, is "charcoal". So I sent it back and they were nice enough to replace it with a black and white one at no charge.

So then I got the new one quickly and here it is!

I really enjoy the look and the nice feel of the new leather!

Just a tip for your own installations if you decide to go this route, be sure to pull it tight, even tighter than you think possible, and do it from the get go!! They say in the instructions that "Tight is right!" and they are correct. I really didn't get into the right swing of getting it nice and tight so the 2 edges meet snugly until half way through sewing it on so maybe I will redo it eventually but it is good enough for now. It says to leave 6" hanging out in the beginning but when I had finished wrapping my steering wheel I had a couple feet left so give your self some extra slack in the beginning so that way you can re-tighten where you began since when you start it is difficult getting it tight.

So enjoy the pictures and hope this helps others out there!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Very nice. My 07 steering wheel leather is still in great shape but this is definetly something to get when the time comes :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm seeing the same wear as you were. Thanks for the write up! Definitely a more cost effective option than the $550 new wheel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looks great. I wonder if there are any tips to make current leather wraps or new ones last longer?

·
Registered
391 Posts
This forum is costing me money everytime I check in. Found wheelskins on ebay and ordered one. I went with charcoal/gray. I really wanted to use a baseball stitch but quickly realized there wasnt enough thread to go all the way around. The seller on ebays was great. I wasnt sure which color thread to use so they sent me both black and gray. I went with the gray. I was thinking that the final knot might unravel because its waxed. So, a trick I learned from archery is to make a knot or two and cut the thread with 1/4" tail. Then use a lighter to melt the loose ends. Its nylon so it will melt and ball up. While its still melted, press the lighter against it. It will blend with the cover and the new melted end will not pull thru the knot. Secured for life!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
My FJ did not even have a leather wrapped wheel - and the plastic steering wheel was horrible. Wheelskins was one of the first mods i did. starting to look a little worn after 4 years, but still serviceable.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My FJ did not even have a leather wrapped wheel - and the plastic steering wheel was horrible. Wheelskins was one of the first mods i did. starting to look a little worn after 4 years, but still serviceable.
My main concern is, my FJ has the red/black OEM leather. putting this on top of OEM, how thick it will be. Second concern is wheel skins told me the sides are 11 inch, bottom is 7 inch, so Have to see how it matches my OEM design.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whoa! Glad this thread was resurrected. Seems like a relatively cheap mod to keep my wheel in good condition (and to remind my wife that I can still out sew her.)

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
My main concern is, my FJ has the red/black OEM leather. putting this on top of OEM, how thick it will be. Second concern is wheel skins told me the sides are 11 inch, bottom is 7 inch, so Have to see how it matches my OEM design.
i wouldn't think it would fit over a leather-wrapped wheel, but it looks like the OP did just that. looks pretty good, and he seems to like it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
i wouldn't think it would fit over a leather-wrapped wheel, but it looks like the OP did just that. looks pretty good, and he seems to like it.
yeah they recommended to put it over oem leather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts