Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post here, for anyone who's needed to install one of these. I located the amp in the passenger side foot well, on the right hand side. The pic below is taken through where the glove compartment is. I unbolted the white wire management tray, and gently eased the amp in. It fits snugly between the black-box data recorder, and the side wall of the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Very nice...What is it? lol

Its a profesional P.A. /air horn system. This is the same ones that emergency vehicles use. I build emergency vehicles for a living, and haveinstalled quite a few of these units, and am in the middle of installing the same one on my FJ. i was going to put the mpunder the passenger seat, but in the passenger foot well seems to be a much better spot! never thought of putting it there!

Maximnt, what speaker are you using? How are you going to activate the airhorn? Are you going to use a momentary switch, or hook it up to the horn switch?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey 5150, I'm using the SA314B mounted behind the front grill where the stock horn used to be. I cut down an SABKT1 vehicle mount so that it would mount on top of the upper cross member. I'll take pictures tomorrow to show you. It's not the best setup, but I was working with what I had available.

The wiring is a little "hackey", I pulled the speaker wires and a trigger wire from the front, and have got the horn being triggered off the stock horn output. I wanted to trigger off the actual horn pad, but I wasn't in the mood to disassemble the steering column when the Toyota diagrams show what looks like a common ground for the horn pad which would have made it necessary to cut wires (AFAIK - I'm not a pro, just a geek. :) )

I then ran power from the interior fuse box (I think I'm going to splice into the horn relay power but right now am just jammed into the accessory fuse), and grounded just below the amp where there is a vehicle ground point. My goal was to do the minimum amount of "damage" to the vehicle.

Its a profesional P.A. /air horn system. This is the same ones that emergency vehicles use. I build emergency vehicles for a living, and haveinstalled quite a few of these units, and am in the middle of installing the same one on my FJ. i was going to put the mpunder the passenger seat, but in the passenger foot well seems to be a much better spot! never thought of putting it there!

Maximnt, what speaker are you using? How are you going to activate the airhorn? Are you going to use a momentary switch, or hook it up to the horn switch?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
5150, I wish you were closer to me. I have a box I wanna put in, but don't have the professional know-how....don't wanna cook the FJ!
What are you wanting to put in?

Hey 5150, I'm using the SA314B mounted behind the front grill where the stock horn used to be. I cut down an SABKT1 vehicle mount so that it would mount on top of the upper cross member. I'll take pictures tomorrow to show you. It's not the best setup, but I was working with what I had available.

The wiring is a little "hackey", I pulled the speaker wires and a trigger wire from the front, and have got the horn being triggered off the stock horn output. I wanted to trigger off the actual horn pad, but I wasn't in the mood to disassemble the steering column when the Toyota diagrams show what looks like a common ground for the horn pad which would have made it necessary to cut wires (AFAIK - I'm not a pro, just a geek. :) )

I then ran power from the interior fuse box (I think I'm going to splice into the horn relay power but right now am just jammed into the accessory fuse), and grounded just below the amp where there is a vehicle ground point. My goal was to do the minimum amount of "damage" to the vehicle.
I'm a little confused. So you are using the horn button to trigger the air horn? And it sounds like you took out the factory horn since your putting the new speaker in its place. There's no need to have to disasemble the sterring wheel or colum. You can just find the horn wire that goes to the horn relay, or even tap off the horn itself. I'd love to see picsof your install! I'm just waiting on my CB to get her so i can wire up everything at once.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
5150, I wish you were closer to me. I have a box I wanna put in, but don't have the professional know-how....don't wanna cook the FJ!
Dave, I told you I would be more than happy to help you install it. It is no harder than installing a car stereo Amp and Speaker. :wave:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi guys... I have the same PAP in my FJ. The amp is under my passenger seat, but after seeing this, I'll move mine to the footwell, too!

The speaker I'm using is the Sho-Me slim: Able2 Sho-Me Slim 100 Watt Siren Speaker 30.0200 from SWPS.com
and I've got the horn triggered from the steering wheel horn pad. I removed the stock Toyota horn and used the "second" horn tap (the one wrapped in tape on the passenger side of the engine compartment) as the trigger.

It took less than 30 minutes to put the whole thing together and it works great!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry got not getting pictures today guys, it's been coming down all afternoon. I'll try and grab some tomorrow, or this weekend.

Gonna be in Boston Friday and Sat, anyone know anywhere to wheel near there?

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
I've got the horn triggered from the steering wheel horn pad. I removed the stock Toyota horn and used the "second" horn tap (the one wrapped in tape on the passenger side of the engine compartment) as the trigger.
Do you have PA capabilities with the unit you're using?? If so, how do you access it??

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Hi guys... I have the same PAP in my FJ. The amp is under my passenger seat, but after seeing this, I'll move mine to the footwell, too!

The speaker I'm using is the Sho-Me slim: Able2 Sho-Me Slim 100 Watt Siren Speaker 30.0200 from SWPS.com
and I've got the horn triggered from the steering wheel horn pad. I removed the stock Toyota horn and used the "second" horn tap (the one wrapped in tape on the passenger side of the engine compartment) as the trigger.

It took less than 30 minutes to put the whole thing together and it works great!
Nice. I'm setting mine up so when its turned on, the horn button activates the air horn, then when its off, the standard horn works like factory. Wasn't aware that there was a second tap not being used for a second horn.

Do you have PA capabilities with the unit you're using?? If so, how do you access it??
The unit he he's using is a combonation air horn/P.A. system. it has a micro phone that plugs into the amp. You can buy an extention cable so you can mount the amp under your seat, or in this case the passneger foot well. :)

Here's the unit were talking about...

Whelen PAP112 Power Airhorn plus Amplifier with Public Address--Vehicle Lighting Solutions, Inc.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Does the amp need room to dissipate heat? I don't know if it gets hot or not, but if it does, won't it overheat in the foot well?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Does the amp need room to dissipate heat? I don't know if it gets hot or not, but if it does, won't it overheat in the foot well?
I doubt the amp will ever get hot. Is is not being used like a car stereo amp is err I mean on all the time. It is only on for a brief moment of time and not constantly on being used for long periods of time. Otherwise a great question. :wave:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks Ace. Didn't know that. :)

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Install a secondary fuse block and you wont have to worry about frying anything. Just my humble opinion :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've used this unit for a number of years and never had a heat issue, even when it was installed under the passenger seat of a pathfinder.

Whelen does recommend that the unit be installed against a piece of the body on the car to allow heat dissipation, and I think this comes pretty close to achieving that. :)

To answer your other question, there isn't an AUX in for a CB, however I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to accomplish with some basic soldering.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts