Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other vehicles I've owned the "slip" light (the vehicle with the little swervy tire tracks behind it) would light or flash when the vehicle detected slippage of the vehicle and the stability control was kicking in to address it.

The FJ's manual says it lights for drive wheel slip.

The reason I ask is I was throwing the FJ around in snow by cornering too fast on purpose and as the rear end was sliding wide and it felt like the VSC was reducing power, the light never lit up; in fact the only time I've seen it light is when I start the FJ.

Normal?

·
Registered
934 Posts
What you are experiencing is correct. The VSC is kicking in due to sideway slipping. I thought a week ago that mine was broke becasue I felt the VSC kick in but also had no light. The light went on as soon as I was adding power and the rear tire spun a bit but would not when just slipping sideways.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

·
Admin
8,481 Posts
If you continue to slip the indicator will come on and it will also start beeping at you.

So annoying I disabled mine :lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you continue to slip the indicator will come on and it will also start beeping at you.
Yup, I've definitely had this happen. It starts beeping at you like crazy and the light flashes. I typically only ever see this when trying to accelerate onto a busy road in 2WD with slush under me or when I play rally driver in open lots. :lol:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
For me it only flashes when I'm in 2WD (Automatic trans) and I slip while trying to go forward. It does not seem to activate in the same manner if you're sliding sideways.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The light comes on when a wheel is slipping/spinning. The beeping comes on when the vehicle is sliding - it is tied to a mass sensor that detects off kilter movement of the FJ. Having a 6MT it will be a lot harder for you to slip - it is a lot easier to do in 2H on an auto. if you have some ice to drive on I bet you can get it to flash...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 2007 2WD Auto FJ with the stock Bridgestone tires in a slide on ice, and the VSC shut down the steering & engine, and flipped the brake pedal up. I could have steered it out of the spin, but everything was disabled! It could have been a bad scene. I can't remember now if I had the optional LSD, or locking rear diff on. Has anyone had this, is this normal (it states in the manual that it is), and how the F#@K do you disable this?!?! I've been disenchanted with the stupid car ever since. I want my AWD Jag back!!!

·
Admin
8,481 Posts
Unplug it.

There's a wiring harness plugged into the brake reservoir. Standing on the driver side you will see it.

The ABS will still be on. If you want that disabled as well you just have to pull the fuse.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read about unplugging the connection under the power steering reservoir. I know exactly where that is. I just wonder what else is lost when this is unplugged. I really want to find a big icy empty parking lot and try this before I go out on an icy mountain road. I'd love to discuss this with someone who has tried this trick. Cuz I live in SoCal, and don't get many opportunities to find frozen parking lots ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got my 2007 2WD Auto FJ with the stock Bridgestone tires in a slide on ice, and the VSC shut down the steering & engine, and flipped the brake pedal up. I could have steered it out of the spin, but everything was disabled! It could have been a bad scene. I can't remember now if I had the optional LSD, or locking rear diff on. Has anyone had this, is this normal (it states in the manual that it is), and how the F#@K do you disable this?!?! I've been disenchanted with the stupid car ever since. I want my AWD Jag back!!!
Shut down the steering? I don't think so :) Do you think maybe its possible you couldn't steer because you were on ice and sliding?

·
Admin
8,481 Posts
I read about unplugging the connection under the power steering reservoir. I know exactly where that is. I just wonder what else is lost when this is unplugged. I really want to find a big icy empty parking lot and try this before I go out on an icy mountain road. I'd love to discuss this with someone who has tried this trick. Cuz I live in SoCal, and don't get many opportunities to find frozen parking lots ;)
Find some loose gravel, it'll give you an idea on what it will do on ice.

When you uplug it the ABS still works, it simply disables the traction control.

·
Registered
42 Posts
has anyone else noticed under hard acceleration near redline the little trac light will come on too ? It doesnt feel like it does anything but the light comes on. mine is a 4wd auto.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts