Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Is building a jeep-frame rock buggy disloyal to my FJ?

• You should be ashamed of yourself.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Do us all a favor and sell your FJ.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes, it's cheating on the FJ!

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • If you still off-road the FJ it's ok.

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • It's only ok if you sell the rock buggy instead of driving it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You won't drive the buggy in the presence of the FJ will you?

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • God will punish you for building a jeep frame buggy.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 69 69.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
To let you know I am interested in doing this same thing.
I have onderstood that California has a 20 year rule when it comes to smog exemption. Basically if your vehicle is 20 + years old then you are exempt from smog checks. And smog goes by the VIN of the vehicle body not the engine. I had a friend with a '91 Land cruiser who swapped the engine for a Chevy 350 carborated engine, unfortunately he had to give it up because it would no longer pass smog.
If I remember correctly you can register your vehicle as a vehicle that is not going to be driven at all. Did your your CHP acquaintance say anything about smoging vehicles that are not going to be driven anytime soon?

For smog info in Cali. You can Go to California Department of Motor Vehicles website and type in smog check.
This is the page I found my info. Smog Information

Note: The first thing I am asked by everyone that I talk to about my interest in the 4x4 past-time asks me if I know how to weld. I am trying to figure out which type of welding would be best to learn (I am not worried about the easiest type of welding to learn). Thank you for your updates. FJ or not build ups help you understand what you need to do when something breaks apart.

P.S. Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world. has a lot of info, I would recommend checking that site out also.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Got your PM, but don't have a lot of time at lunch to reply back. I'll get to it tonight for sure.

The FJ40 may be a GREAT idea if you want to run Toyota Fj40 skins on the buggy. And, from what you're telling me.....I'd bet you can do a full tube frame if you play the cards right and buy a titled, currently registered pre-73 rig in CA.

Sean

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
To let you know I am interested in doing this same thing.
I have learned that California has a 20 year rule when it comes to smog exemption. Basically if your vehicle is 20 + years old then you are exempt from smog checks. And smog goes by the VIN of the vehicle body not the engine.
If I remember correctly you can register your vehicle as a vehicle that is not going to be driven at all. Did your your CHP acquaintance say anything about smoging vehicles that are not going to be driven anytime soon?

My Reason for asking the last question is because if the build takes a few years, then I would hope that you would not have to get a vehicle that you are not using smogged. Like for me, my time and money constraints extend my time line beyond what I would like. So, by the time I buy a Jeep and have the funds to do the mods that I was thinking of, a 1983 CJ-7 will probably be smog exempt.
(Though my main reason for the Jeep mod is to know how to do them before I touch the FJ[wife's preference]).

Note: The first thing I am asked by everyone that I talk to about my interest in the 4x4 past-time asks me if I know how to weld. I am trying to figure out which type of welding would be best to learn (I am not worried about the easiest type of welding to learn). Thank you for your updates. FJ or not build ups help you understand what you need to do when something breaks apart.

P.S. Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world. has a lot of info, I would recommend checking that site out also.
MIG is the preferred method of welding for chassis. Quicker and easier.

HTH,
Sean

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
From what I understand, that 20 year rule ended about 10 years ago.:(
Per the CHP, 1973 is the cut-off date. I thought it was a 20 year rule too, but I think that was put into place in 1993...

And the smog emission regs are going to get tighter per CHP so it becomes problematic for a racing engine.

You can get a certificate of non-operation from DMV so you don't have to pay registration fees while the vehicle is not on the road. It puts the vehicle in stasis until you roll it out again.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
.....I'd bet you can do a full tube frame if you play the cards right and buy a titled, currently registered pre-73 rig in CA.
There's one I have my eye on locally...It has to be a currently registered California vehicle with a squeaky clean title to make it smooth. The FJ40 I'm talking about barely runs but the frame looks sound. I'm going to hook up with my CPA at 10 tomorrow and then I'll call the people in Gilbert to arrange for a face-to-face at their shop. Irrespective, I think that's who I'll go with for the intial frame mod. Once I have spoken with them, I'll buy the rolling trash heap I want to mod.

After that I don't know. I'm talking to a friend with connections about the engine I'm interested in. (damn, but they're expensive) He's trolling for something and I'll keep you in the loop.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am inclined to follow the W.E. ROCK Pro-Modified guidelines in the creation of this particular buggy. I also have some ideas regarding "street-legal" mods that are of a quick-release nature, such that a true Pro-Modified competition quality rock buggy could be transformed into a street-legal automobile with minimal effort. I've been reading the vehicle code, making notations and so long as those mods are integrated into the initial design, it should work.

I know that people pay more attention to the Unlimited Class and they're extremely cool, but it's not where I want to take this particular rig. For one, my engineering skills will be pushed to the limit on a Pro-Modified rig, and even at that I'll need a lot of help to make it come out right.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Someday I'd like to pick up a Sammy and go from there. FJC is very capable, but scary to wheel when there's the possibility of body damage.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I am inclined to follow the W.E. ROCK Pro-Modified guidelines in the creation of this particular buggy. I also have some ideas regarding "street-legal" mods that are of a quick-release nature, such that a true Pro-Modified competition quality rock buggy could be transformed into a street-legal automobile with minimal effort. I've been reading the vehicle code, making notations and so long as those mods are integrated into the initial design, it should work.

I know that people pay more attention to the Unlimited Class and they're extremely cool, but it's not where I want to take this particular rig. For one, my engineering skills will be pushed to the limit on a Pro-Modified rig, and even at that I'll need a lot of help to make it come out right.

I sent you a PM with my number....I think it'll be easier to discuss your options that way. If you prefer to keep it in writing....just let me know. :)

Sean

41 - 49 of 49 Posts