Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can my stock breaks really handle all the extra weight from mods and gear? I don't hear much about people doing brake upgrades. I suspect that extra weight is too much for the stock setup. Should I be worried about the safety of driving a heavily modified rig on stock brakes?

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
I replaced mine about a week ago at 59,800 miles. The stock brakes are great and no need to worry about safety, but the more weight and rubber you add, the quicker you will need to change pads.
I would bet that I would have got 75,000 on the OEM pads if my truck were still stock.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When it comes time to change pads, you might want to upgrade the pads alone.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I waited till 30k and brought it to the dealer and told em about the squeak since I read about the TSB. they replaced everything except the callipers, even the rotors!! that was nice of them. No need for an upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right on. I was at the dealer today because I lost my emergency brake. It felt really loose to pull the lever, and it would roll on any kind of incline. They took apart the rear brakes and found that there was sand packed into the drum for the E-brake. Cleaned it. Now it works again. I got stuck in some quick sand type stuff last week, so it must have gotten in then. Anyhow, I remembered that TSB about the front brakes so I asked them to check if my build date was on the list. 07/07. They ordered the new parts today.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
im running 315's and i have 24k miles on the stock brakes. They still look look great, and grab great, but they got a screech to 'em now.. So i will be replacing them with aftermarket pads for a better bite.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got 20k and there starting to feel like there 60-70 percent gone, but i am hard on my brakes. Ill be replacing them at 40k probably. But what is this about a tsb for them?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I got 20k and there starting to feel like there 60-70 percent gone, but i am hard on my brakes. Ill be replacing them at 40k probably. But what is this about a tsb for them?
Tell your service writer that there is a Technical Service Bulliten on the FJ's brakes. they squeak in reverse untill they warm up. more of an annoying thing but if they are willing to fix it for free take atvantage of it. They use some new kind of ceramic pads and different rotors. all under warranty

·
Registered
504 Posts
Tell your service writer that there is a Technical Service Bulliten on the FJ's brakes. they squeak in reverse untill they warm up. more of an annoying thing but if they are willing to fix it for free take atvantage of it. They use some new kind of ceramic pads and different rotors. all under warranty
Where do you go for service? I have had some issues with Chula Vista Toyota and I am looking for a good dealership.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Kearny mesa off the 163 and Balboa. ask for Oscar Araiza. He asks no questions. even had my inner cv joint boots leak taken care of.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I have one of the heavist FJ's and I just checked two days ago when I rotated my tires at 48,000 miles, I have over half the pads left. Then again, I don't drive like most, I don't use my brakes, I just plow into people and they stop me or just get out of my way:rofl:

J/K about the plowing into people :lol:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Kearny mesa off the 163 and Balboa. ask for Oscar Araiza. He asks no questions. even had my inner cv joint boots leak taken care of.
Cool, ill give them a call, i also was going to Chula Vista, but they dont seem like they want to help that much...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one of the heavist FJ's and I just checked two days ago when I rotated my tires at 48,000 miles, I have over half the pads left. Then again, I don't drive like most, I don't use my brakes, I just plow into people and they stop me or just get out of my way:rofl:

J/K about the plowing into people :lol:
I've stopped that way a couple times :lol: Good to know that they can handle the extra weight. I think I may upgrade to some stainless brake lines... That is supposed to really firm things up. Just curious Shadow, do you know what your rig weighs? Is the raptor supercharged?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts