Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my Sway Aways on Friday and new BFG 285 70 17 today. I have already seen the lift drop from 4 1/4 to 3 1/4 with about 20 miles. When should I go in for an alignment ?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
i would get it done by at least 250 to 500 miles, i had mine done in 2 days then just about 5000 mile after that, i bought a lifetime alignment and it has already paid for itself. in another 5000 i plan to have it checked again

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would get it done by at least 250 to 500 miles, i had mine done in 2 days then just about 5000 mile after that, i bought a lifetime alignment and it has already paid for itself. in another 5000 i plan to have it checked again
Thanks, who offers lifetime align thats reliable ?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks, who offers lifetime align thats reliable ?
Firestone offers them. Not sure which one is reliable though. It would depend on the tech you get probably.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
TireKingdom has different alignments you can get. I got the unlimited for one year.
I would say wait about a week or 500 miles. Gives the springs a chance to settle. You had a 4.25 inch lift with adjustable coilovers????

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can't see trusting a mass merchandising tire store that uses a corporate model of inexperienced, underpaid techs for alignment work regardless of the marketing scam its sold under.
My opinion would be to seek out a trusted local independent shop that has a single reputation at stake.
Ive been in the suspension mechanics industry for 25 years. If I broke both of my legs today and couldnt do my own work ever again- a tire store would be my last choice to pay and hope for the best for anything but tires.
I can hear you mouthing your words as I write this..."Theres 50 year old John down at the Goodyear who does GREAT!..."
Well, he's the exception.
Often the "free" alignment is just setting the toe close if your lucky.
I highly doubt theyre spending the extra time to match the camber exactly on both sides, set the caster with an added positive .25 on the passenger side, etc. If its within the wide margin of spec that seems good enough to some -but not me.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
if you just lifted it, i wouldnt drive it much before re-aligning it. i would get it done asap. not drive it a month then align it. you will notice the front tires getting worn funny.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I got my done after about 500 miles. Took it to a independant who mostly works on Jeeps and are off roader too. With the growing population of FJC in STL they are getting to know them better. They stayed about an hour late and road tested it three times to make sure every thing was right . I also like that they dont mind me in the shop watching or getting in the way, not in some lobby wondering if they are tearing something up. I have over 1500 miles on it since the alignment and it drives great. I also have the piece of mind that they will address any issues that I might have. I dont see a national chain doing that they would have probably told me to come back the next day. Also those national chains seem to have high turn over and if you have problems and take it back its a different guy working on your vehicle every time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TireKingdom has different alignments you can get. I got the unlimited for one year.
I would say wait about a week or 500 miles. Gives the springs a chance to settle. You had a 4.25 inch lift with adjustable coilovers????
When I first got done and it was sitting in the driveway it was sitting at 38 1/4 front and 40 back measuring the plastic fender straight up center of wheel. After driving around block it went down 1/4. Today it is 37 1/4 front 39 back , however I notice that the passenger side sits at 39 1/2 back. So far thats 3 1/4 over stock.
Thanks everyone for the input and I will go talk to the shop that only does alignments thats been in the valley since I moved here in 1980

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Nice choice!! I just installed mine tonight. Awesome ride. Did you get yours from Metal Tech?? I got the Hybrid kit with the OME rears. Mark really recommended this kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice choice!! I just installed mine tonight. Awesome ride. Did you get yours from Metal Tech?? I got the Hybrid kit with the OME rears. Mark really recommended this kit.
Yea Mark at Metal Tech was real helpful. I just got back from the alignment and runs real good, however he told me that the passenger side ball was loose, I installed Total Chaos while I was at it. Sure as heck it was way loose. I know I torked everything twice and used thread lock. Going to keep my eye on that for awhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts