Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

When was the last time you used your ___?

3K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  logan9967 
#1 ·
Just curious as we are spending money getting this, that and the other how often you use your stuff.

When was the last time you used your hilift jack?

When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights?

When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water?

When was the last time you used your _____?

What say you?

#2 ·
Just curious as we are spending money getting this, that and the other how often you use your stuff.
When was the last time you used your hilift jack? I used it about two months ago to straighten out a large cactus/tree in my backyard =)

When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights? I like to turn these on every night when returning home down some of the narrow roads near my house.

When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water? Water scares me.

When was the last time you used your _Winch_? The last time I used my winch was about a month ago and that was to stretch out the cable.

I try to buy functional things for the FJ but Mod Madness is a very difficult infection to cure :bigthumb:

#4 ·
I am still sitting here laughing, way too funny!!!!!

I use my lights on the cury backroads in the mountains where I live.

I have not used my Hi lift, but I will be glad it is there when I need it, and I will

I used my winch on my last outing to get my rig back on the trail

I understand your question and agree to a degree. I cant think of one mod I have done that I have not used.

#5 ·
Hi Lift - couple months ago when looking at something under my car - attached to the ARB

Off Road Lights - last night

Chain in the back - A week ago to pull a stranded loaded U Haul to safety in a crowded intersection

Winch - three weeks ago to pull up some bushes, and the week before off road...

Generally, I've found that if you have the stuff with you, your bound to use/need it much more than most people would think

#6 ·
Cool post idea! :)

When was the last time you used your hilift jack? Last time I went rock crawlin... there was a turn in the rocks that was way too tight (most vehicles that do this spot are buggies and they just go straight, which wasn't an option for me), so we had the brilliant idea of doing a a series of 3 point turns in the wrong direction and backing over part of it... it would have worked, but the rear tire skipped off a rock and I ended up with a huge boulder stuck in between the rear axle and the inside of the frame!! Good times...

When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights? Well, I've only had them for a few days so I'm using them way too much since they're still somewhat of a novelty... but I did use them exploring a new area at night after SedonaFest, and then on my way back to the highway which was about 10 miles through the forest. It's really to have some light for once!

When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water? I have not this snorkel that you speak of... ;)

When was the last time you used your gigantic flagpole that doubles the height of the FJ and brings happiness to all the children of the countryside? Just last weekend, that gets used every time I'm out of course! :bigthumb:

#8 ·
I only have the lights and I use them almost daily. where I live the deer are thick. They can appear out of nowhere. I use the lights (KCs) to try and get an advance warning with a reflection from their eyes when they are near the side of the road.

#9 · (Edited)
"When was the last time you used your hilift jack [recovery gear and/or winch]?"

Never yet -- they're insurance.

"When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights?"

I've got 2 PIAA 520 fog lights and use them whenever it's foggy or the road is too dark to see otherwise.

"When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water?"

Don't have one and never intend to go into "super deep water" where I'd need one. ;)

"When was the last time you used your _____?"

. . . K&N Air Filter & Cyclone Pre-Air Filter. EVERY DAY! :)

. . . ClearPlex Windshield Protector. EVERY DAY!! :) :)

. . . Hollandia Sunroof. EVERY DAY!!! :) :) :)

. . . Stant Locking Gas Cap. EVERY DAY!!!! :) :) :) :)

. . . PowerTank. EVERY DAY!!!!! that I have to air up the tires when there's no air compressor available. :) :) :) :) :)

. . . MAF Auxillary Gas Tank. EVERY DAY!!!!!! that I don't have to go to the gas station to refill the main tank. :clap:

#10 ·
When was the last time you used your hilift jack?

ehh.. about 2 weeks ago to check something on the truck.. the last time I really used it was when the wife got the FJ stuck crossing a gully the wrong way, she got the front bumper stuck on one side, the rear bumper on the other, and all 4 wheels spinning in the air... :rofl:

When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights?

Last time it was dark while wheeling!

When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water?

I don't have a snorkel on the FJ.. I had one on the Tacoma, but never found water that deep in So-Cal!

When was the last time you used your _____?

Pull Pal...? (from another thread..) I've never need to use mine in pratical use.

#11 ·
Dont have these yet on my FJ but last vehicle and all previous I had them all except snorkel....never found a use for it really:

1- Highlift I used 4-5 times a year...either to lift a vehicle on trail that had nothing...or to help pull barbed wire for my dads property. Twice over 10 years I have used it for myself...but suspect that is how it is for winches too...end up using them more to help those that got in too far or dont have a way of getting themselves out.

2- Snorkel- never owned and never needed...even in cherokee when i would take it across spring runoff flooded streams in western maryland to go camping or turkey hunting up to the headlights.

3- offroad lights or fog lights....offroad lights i would turn on every night once i got outside of city as we have over a million deer here in SC and like to let your oaks and pines grow up to side of the road.... fog lights i only use when foggy....but driving/offroad lights I use anytime i wont be approaching oncoming traffic.

4- 4wd--- every weekend almost during summer and winter either hunting, camping or exploring. I bet 90% of the people driving 4x4 vehicles whether Jeeps, other SUV, or trucks....only use the 4x4 offroad or in hazardous road conditions less than 1% of the time. I saw a H1 hummer the other day....fairly new so guessing it was about 80-90,000 dollars of truck. Had lowering kit and 24" bling wheels and low profile pirellis on it....sat about 6 inches off the ground. LMAO

#12 ·
When was the last time you used your hilift jack?- well I only got it a couple days ago so.... but insurance is a good thing.
When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights?- as soon as I can get some help installing them Ill use them all the time, Im just a lil scared of drillin through my roof so they sit in the garage for now.
When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water?- Im not sure if my FJ can swim, and Im not eager to find out anytime soon, that and Im not really a fan of the snorkel, its very functional but not my style.
When was the last time you used your _____?- manparts w a girl.... longer than I care to think about.....:couto:

#13 ·
Great post.

I used my Hi-Lift, Off-Road Lights, dual batt. system, Shovel, Power Tank, Stauns, spare axle, tools, rags, zip ties, CB, front skid plate, Gobi Rack on my Mojave last month.

No snorkel.

The one mod I get the least use of is my Max Ax. The ax itself is great but the extra tools have never been used in a year and a half. The ScanGauge is probably the most used and useful of all my mods.

P.S. While the winch seldom gets used, it's a priceless investment when you need it.

#14 ·
When was the last time you used your hilift jack?- Today... mounted it up on the Demello clamps for test fit and drive around for the first time :)
When was the last time you used all your "offroad" lights?- Last night, my kid loves to light up the backstreets...
When was the last time you utilized your snorkel in super deep water?- Last month at a wreck dive in San Diego... oh, the FJ.. don't have one.
When was the last time you used your _____?- 4-wheel Hi - this weekend on the Main Divide... don't think it is really needed on this trail, but my kid screams to put it into 4 wheel drive if we ride off a curb! He even showed my wife how to do it from his booster seat when she parked on a hill at his T-ball game!

Good post, though I jest, it hopefully will get some good information on what is valuable, used, and found to be of real use.

#16 ·
When was the last time you used your hi-lift jack?- Don't have one yet, but it would be a smart thing to have. I have a winch, but it is only at one end. The hi-lift could be used to pull me out from the rear. And with the rock rails, I have even more places to use it if needed. Thanks, now I am going to be thinking about this till I get one...
Used my winch about 6 times this winter, and once this spring.
I use the dual battery kit every day when I start my truck.
I don't have a snorkel, no need. With the pulley problem the FJ has, I do worry for the people that do. I live far from any good off road places. If my pulleys go bad, I am sunk...

#17 ·
I've used my hi-lift jack a number of times - I've used it more often than the factory jack (which I can no longer use after lifting my truck.)

I've used both the axe and shovel I carry too.

I've used off road lights numerous times - very useful when scouting elk at night.

Scuba driving mod - more of insurance than a requirement. I have buried the FJ up to the rock rails in mud, so the possibility of water entering a breather was there before the mod.

Many things are done for insurance - things that are not really necessary until... it's the "until" part that makes them useful.

If the only time you need the hi-lift is the one time when your out of cell coverage, miles from the nearest town, off road by yourself, then the jack pays for itself in that one instance. Even if you never need it again.

#18 ·
So the snorkel is pointless? (unless you relocate your alternator, waterproof electrics, get water tight bearings for pulleys, and scuba mod)

#19 ·
1. Never! knock on wood

2. Never! I ant got none

3. I had to add an add'l 4' of tube and a airplane light beacon for the 9' of water I forge everyday just to try to get to work.:rofl:

4. Flash light. Everyday.

5. Yes I would leave a hummer broken down on a trail. Help a jeep out? Yes. :bigthumb:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

#21 ·
When was the last time I used my............ FJ? December 2007. The wife has been taking care of her since then. But I will be back soon!!!!!!!! And when I get back...... let the modding begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
Used a the Hi-Lift only a couple of times. I've had the winch for a while and not used it until 2 months ago. Then in the last 2 month, I've used it 5 times. You just never know!

#23 ·
Saturday... the day before yesterday.

My buddy and I headed into sunlight basin Friday night to do some backcountry skiing and we came upon the insurmountable drift. To date it is the most stuck I've ever been with the FJ. So, first things first (post Atrac and Locker) - use the shovels. We shoveled alot. No dice. Okay, chain up. No dice. There was a two inch layer of ice between the road and the snow and another two inch layer of ice about 2.5 to 3 feet off of the ground (in the drift) on which the FJ was supported. One negative side to a full set of skids, in this case budbuilts, is that they distribute weight very nicely on top of snow, which is bad when you want/need to get your claws into the dirt. Incidentally this drift went over 8 feet deep just to the left of the road. Its dark and we're not going any where any time soon: next step - pull out tent and set up in road. Saturday Morning: Hmmm, time to pull down the 60" hilift, mount the wab-fab rail adapter and get the rig in the air. Unfortunately, the passenger side of the vehicle is the side we need to get up but the snow/ice won't let us. So we went to work on the drivers side. Yes, we're dorks, but I'd rather be an alive dork then a dead anything else - we wore our ski helmets while working with the hilift. I've seen them slip too many times and this was no exception. It slipped twice, even with the base. But we finally got the rig up in the air enough to get 3 feet of rock (yea, I said 3 feet) stacked under the front and rear driver's side meats. All set - giver hell. And we're out....

When is the last time you used your imagination. Often times its your greatest tool. I do not have any wheeling partners so the art of self-recovery and sufficiency is something I strive to perfect... Here's three of the worlds crappiest pictures taken with my cell phone before it died. THEY DO THE SITUATION ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTICE. This was our state of affairs Saturday morning:

My buddy with a early morning WTF look on his face

BTW I don't have any offroad lights - I do have a handheld spot light and we did use it. My winch and bumper are on the way but I don't think they would have been of any use in this situation. And 10 minutes after we freed ourselves, a bear hunter showed up. Aint that the way it goes:cheers:

#29 ·
Saturday... the day before yesterday.

My buddy and I headed into sunlight basin Friday night to do some backcountry skiing and we came upon the insurmountable drift. To date it is the most stuck I've ever been with the FJ. So, first things first (post Atrac and Locker) - use the shovels. We shoveled alot. No dice. Okay, chain up. No dice. There was a two inch layer of ice between the road and the snow and another two inch layer of ice about 2.5 to 3 feet off of the ground (in the drift) on which the FJ was supported. One negative side to a full set of skids, in this case budbuilts, is that they distribute weight very nicely on top of snow, which is bad when you want/need to get your claws into the dirt. Incidentally this drift went over 8 feet deep just to the left of the road. Its dark and we're not going any where any time soon: next step - pull out tent and set up in road. Saturday Morning: Hmmm, time to pull down the 60" hilift, mount the wab-fab rail adapter and get the rig in the air. Unfortunately, the passenger side of the vehicle is the side we need to get up but the snow/ice won't let us. So we went to work on the drivers side. Yes, we're dorks, but I'd rather be an alive dork then a dead anything else - we wore our ski helmets while working with the hilift. I've seen them slip too many times and this was no exception. It slipped twice, even with the base. But we finally got the rig up in the air enough to get 3 feet of rock (yea, I said 3 feet) stacked under the front and rear driver's side meats. All set - giver hell. And we're out....

When is the last time you used your imagination. Often times its your greatest tool. I do not have any wheeling partners so the art of self-recovery and sufficiency is something I strive to perfect... Here's three of the worlds crappiest pictures taken with my cell phone before it died. THEY DO THE SITUATION ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTICE. This was our state of affairs Saturday morning:

[pics snipped]

BTW I don't have any offroad lights - I do have a handheld spot light and we did use it. My winch and bumper are on the way but I don't think they would have been of any use in this situation. And 10 minutes after we freed ourselves, a bear hunter showed up. Aint that the way it goes:cheers:
This is a GREAT story that makes the case for making sure that you are adequately prepared, as much as you can be, for the anticipated road conditions, the need to carry survival as well as recovery gear, AND for taking your time to assess your predicament, develop a plan to get out and then execute it.

Excellent work!!! :rocker:

#25 ·
Thats the downside to having extra weight... you get stuck in the soft stuff easily. hope you didn't go with an overweight bumper too! Might make next stuck even more fun. you engaged atrac and locker before you went into the snow... right?

#27 ·
Weight doesn't necessarily kill you, often times it's the specific conditions more than anything. For instance, I drove 4 miles in the soft fluffy stuff you see below, before my lift, with no problems whatsoever:

In contrast, this was wet slop with thick layers of ice in it and below it. As for the ATrac and locker... I went into it with the Atrac engaged (I don't think I've ever turned it off) but not the locker. I'm a firm believer that you should leave your self some available tools in the case that your progress is hindered. If you get stuck with all the stops pulled, well then your definitely stuck...:bigthumb:

#26 ·
As I tell my wife:
It's not the 100 trips you DON'T use it....it's the ONE that you DO.
Safety/Armor mods are insurance policies. $2k of protection on a $30K truck, not bad in my book. Amortize? that 2K over the 10 years I'll have my FJ....it comes out to about $200/year, $17/mo, $.54/day.

Excuse me while I go spend about $1500 on all the stuff I don't have yet :)

#28 ·
Weight def makes you more likely to get stuck though.
Snow is one type of terrain where IFS actually helps! I think it may help in mud too. I went on a snow run where the snow run was wicked deep and everyone was getting stuck a lot. I had no lift, AT style tires, and I didn't air down because I hadn't gotten a compressor yet. But I was still doing just as well as all these lifted jeeps with 33 Muds, some with 35s. I got out of the FJ every now and then to watch how the people behind me got passed some deep bits. The front axles would act as snow plows sometimes and cause the rigs to get stuck! IFS pushes the snow under it and glides over.

#35 ·
I agree that weight contributes to getting stuck, but unfortunately even the stock FJ is a heavy beast so we're all hosed on that account. And I very much agree on the IFS and snow. If you don't have a SFA pushing snow around it helps immensely.:cheers:

#32 ·
Agreed on the winch. I've not had to use it for the longest time and then all of a sudden used it 5 times in 2 months. If Wyotto had a winch and a Pull-Pal, he'd gotten himself out of there in a few min. An exhaust jack is also handy in situations like that too.

#34 · (Edited)
I agree on the winch in combination with a pull-pal... the winch and bumper are coming soon - dare I say in the next week (it's been 5 months but I think the bumper is going to powder coat this week). I will probably be waiting a while on the pull-pal and exhaust jack. The wabfab adapter and Hi-lift have paid for themselves several times over tho:clap: That said, the exhaust jack would be alot safer. The other thing I could use is some wheeling buddies.:wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.