Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 FJ is showing door ajar light when I push from the inside on the passenger side doors while they are closed. Also happens on it's own if I'm turning left at moderate speed.

I tried opening the passenger side door, pushed the door ajar switch (the black rubber button that detects if front passenger door is open) so the light went off, and then pulled slightly on the very bottom of the suicide door, which triggered the door ajar light.
So I am assuming it is definitely not a problem with the button switch on the suicide door frame, seems like the sensor might be built into the latch at the bottom of the suicide door or something?

Any ideas how I can fix this?

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
the courtesy switch for the suicide door is located in the upper latch (you can experiment with this by taking the end of a philips screwdriver and rotate the ratchet of the latch to the fully latched position, and then press the plunger of the front door's courtesy switch an seeing when the dash light goes out)

Either the switch in that upper latch has failed, come disconnected, or perhaps it is not getting to the fully latched position every time (there is also a 1/2 latch position, for safety, which comes first, and then the fully latched position, the switch will only go out when in the fully latched position).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Norm365.

I tried closing the latch with a screwdriver, and clearly saw the half/fully latched positions you mention. Unfortunately neither turned off the door ajar light.

But then I tried closing the bottom latch with the screwdriver, and that helped. So both top and bottom latches have to be fully engaged. My problem seems to be the bottom latch only partially engages, so a small tug on the door will trigger the door ajar warning. Slamming the door a little harder than I normally would does latch it fully, so that's at least a temporary solution.

Tried applying some wd40 to the latch, but it's still not latching with a soft/normal closing of the door. I'm guessing the proper fix is adjusting the hinges on that door?

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
don't use WD40, it leaves behind a waxy residue that will attract dirt and gum up the mechanism, use a lubricant instead

When a door won't latch completely every time, it isn't the hinges you adjust, its the striker.
Loosen the screws holding that striker, drive the striker outboard with a plastic faced hammer JUST A LITTLE, and then check for operation. If you went too far, then drive it back in again, just a little. Once you are satisfied, torque the screws tight to hold it in place.

note that after you do this the door might not compress the weatherstrip completely anymore, and if so, could cause wind noise, that is a delicate balance to achieve

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Wow, this is really lame: I just found out that the FJ shop manual fails to explain anything related to the access door, they just missed it completely.

I had to do some research, but the torque for the striker screws is 23Nm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't use WD40, it leaves behind a waxy residue that will attract dirt and gum up the mechanism, use a lubricant instead

When a door won't latch completely every time, it isn't the hinges you adjust, its the striker.
Loosen the screws holding that striker, drive the striker outboard with a plastic faced hammer JUST A LITTLE, and then check for operation. If you went too far, then drive it back in again, just a little. Once you are satisfied, torque the screws tight to hold it in place.

note that after you do this the door might not compress the weatherstrip completely anymore, and if so, could cause wind noise, that is a delicate balance to achieve
Perfectly explained. Thank you so much! A small issue for sure, but it's been bugging me like hell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recent thread about door sensors. Search
Door Ajar Warning Light 2013 FJ
Jump to Latest

Good luck.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
Thanks, but the other topics about door ajar / courtesy sensors all seem to focus on the front door sensors (or rear window), not the suicide door sensors built into the latches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts