Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies for not being a gear head. I have a 2010 and it has a very pronounced sway side to side on the highway. Feels unsafe. I understand people remove them to get better off-road performance, but I can't tell if they have been removed or not. Does anyone have any undercarriage photos with factory sway bars in place that they can show me? Educate a green horn? Thanks

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
These components are more correctly called 'anti-roll' bars, but please define what you are calling "swaying". Worn out shock absorbers, control arm bushings, and ball joints are probably more likely be be the cause of your stability issues than missing anti-roll bars on a 2010 FJ.

How many miles on the odometer?

Do you have any service history showing that the front struts and rear shocks have ever been replaced, or the front suspension overhauled?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These components are more correctly called 'anti-roll' bars, but please define what you are calling "swaying". Worn out shock absorbers, control arm bushings, and ball joints are probably more likely be be the cause of your stability issues than missing anti-roll bars on a 2010 FJ.

How many miles on the odometer?

Do you have any service history showing that the front struts and rear shocks have ever been replaced, or the front suspension overhauled?
Thanks for the advice! I crawled under and see that the anti-roll bars are still in place, which I am happy about, because I was going to replace the shocks anyhow. I just wanted to make sure my money was going to the right place! My 2010 has 123,000 and still has the OEM baby blue Bilstein shocks (I think they are a 4000 series). The previous owner did not keep shop records, so it may be that these are the original shocks! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Not sure I am interpreting what you are saying correctly, but I am thinking one possibility when you say swaying, is that you mean your tires tend to wander and grab the high spots between the lanes and pull either right or left when it is on uneven surfaces or lines/cracks, etc.

Does your FJ have a lift? Does it have aftermarket upper control arms? Has it been aligned recently and are they able to get it within OEM alignment specs? As FJtest mentions, it could be a lot of things, not just worn out shocks.

You might also take a close look at the upper and lower control arms and bushings on the rear axle too as worn out bushings on those can cause a vehicle not to steer straight (in addition to the front control arms, bushings, etc).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure I am interpreting what you are saying correctly, but I am thinking one possibility when you say swaying, is that you mean your tires tend to wander and grab the high spots between the lanes and pull either right or left when it is on uneven surfaces or lines/cracks, etc.

Does your FJ have a lift? Does it have aftermarket upper control arms? Has it been aligned recently and are they able to get it within OEM alignment specs? As FJtest mentions, it could be a lot of things, not just worn out shocks.

You might also take a close look at the upper and lower control arms and bushings on the rear axle too as worn out bushings on those can cause a vehicle not to steer straight (in addition to the front control arms, bushings, etc).

My FJ is all factory. No lift. Previous owner just used it as a grocery-getter. So all parts look original. I will talk to my mechanic...thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts