Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I consider the Houston area a part of the Southeast, I am throwing out the question of where are you taking your FJ?

Where are there good off road public places to drive?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Eclectic said:
Since I consider the Houston area a part of the Southeast, I am throwing out the question of where are you taking your FJ?

Where are there good off road public places to drive?
You'll have to drive out of the Houston area to find any good ORV parks. Just to name a few places that we (TTORA) visit:

Barnwell Mountain - Located in Gilmer, Texas
Katemcy Rocks - Located in Mason, Texas
Trees Ranch - Located in Kerville, Texas
Shiloh Ridge - Located in Alto, Texas

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
There is a wash system just outside of town in Vegas that sprawls out all over the desert. I plan on exploring that with a couple of jeep guys I work with... they are nearly as excited I'm going with the FJ as I am. The Sheep Range, a mountain range to the North of Vegas has a hidden forest and a couple of lakes stashed above 8000' that I fully intend on finding and exploring, it's required that you have a 4x4 for access. Moab is only 6 hours away. Colorado is 8 hours away and is going to be my first road trip - after getting it home from California - I really want to take a class to learn about all the new fancy crap on this truck though. I don't want to screw it up. I could handle locking hubs and I've driven other 4x4's in tactical environments, but ATRAC, TRAC, VSC, Locking Rear Differential... come on now, how much computer crap can we cram on one truck? So, my first excursion may be some kind of training class. Hopefully we can talk a trainer into doing a group thing for the whole lot of us.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Psst, hey Percy, just between you and me, you're posting in the Southest Regional Forum. Vegas is way west of here. I didn't see a Western Region Forum though so we'll take you in here, no problem.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
We're planning a trip in mine already this summer. I'm loading up the camping stuff and my mountain bike, and heading to Moab followed by California for a brief stint. I can't wait!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
guess ther regional forum concept isn't working eh ekool?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks for the ed CaliFJ but have you looked in the forums section lately? There are now regional forums. Region as in 1) Of or relating to a large geographic region. or 2) Of or relating to a particular region or district.
Eclectic was trying to use this new feature to focus his thread on the Southeast region. I didn't get it at first either until I saw it labeled as such in the Active Threads. I think EJR brought this up a while back wanting to meet other FJC desperados around socal.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
oh sorry I just always hit the "active topics" link. oops

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly-however I don't wish to exclude anyone. Maybe someday I will see the wash system outside of Vegas.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
me too. I've got to quit trying to be a moderator.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pancho, your in Houston. Do you hit the trails? Or is it mostly private deer lease type of stuff?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've got 20 acres in the Hill Country above Leakey on the Frio River. About a third of my property is river bottom but I don't do much down there except park and drink beer, and try to keep others off of it. About another third is slope/bluff/mountain and pretty rugged but I don't have any trails on it yet, if ever. It's better to wheel on somebody else rocks right? I'm not a hunter but it's big deer hunting country around there so there's a lot of jeep trails already and plenty of rocks to crawl around on, without trashing my place. I'm heading out Friday after work for a long weekend...yeehaa.
But Leakey's only about half way to where I really like to go - Big Bend Country. There are a whole lot of back roads out there to explore. I think the area around Terlingua could really develop an offroad market like Moab if they wanted to, but I don't think they want to. Plus it's 10-12 hours out there from here. Pretty remote to just about anywhere. But I dig it out there.
I've never been to any of the ORV parks Tacozilla mentioned. I've heard of them but I'm not really gotten into that scene much, nothing against it. Now if they had a class tailored specifically to driving the FJC offroad then that would get my interest.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Pancho said:
I've never been to any of the ORV parks Tacozilla mentioned. I've heard of them but I'm not really gotten into that scene much, nothing against it. Now if they had a class tailored specifically to driving the FJC offroad then that would get my interest.
Why do you need a class? Just come out with us! We will teach you how to Tread Lightly while wheelin legally within ORV parks or while visiting state/federal ORV trails all while teaching you the safe way to do it. What could possibly be more fun than wheelin with a bunch of Toyota off-road enthusiasts! :D

And, just to comment about your statement here:

Pancho said:
It's better to wheel on somebody else rocks right?
Just make sure you have permission to do so! :) Nothing makes us off-roaders look bad than illegally wheelin on private property that we had no permission being on. I'm sure you did not mean it that way...just didn't want others reading it to get the wrong idea and go tear up their neighbors property. ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hey I wasn't tryin' to invade your space or anything, just goin' to active topics... I know, sorry excuse... but it sounded like a fun topic, nonetheless.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:) Then by all means repeat the topic in your regions.:D

It will give us all a place to look if we are planning on traveling outside of our regions.:cool:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think Texas needs it's own forum damn it. Just kidding around fellers. Percy is welcome down here any time. And yes Shannon I know a lot about trespassing and land issues and all that mess. I've got a thousand feet of Frio River, some of which some sons a bitches think they can drive their vehicles through. It's that "navigable stream" issue. Are you familiar with it? As a landowner in the area I have legal access to many easement roads and jeep trails in the area, but lots of other folks that come up through where I am don't. It's an ongoing issue. So yes I was being sarcastic about other peoples rocks. I guess I need to be more careful since it is a sensitive and misunderstood issue. It's great to get out and enjoy beautiful country but in states like Texas where it's almost all privately owned property one must be careful to know where to go, or not. It's good to see discussions of land use issues on forums such as ttora.com. And about the driving class, it's not that I'm anti-social, it's more about the time. That's why I'm thinking I'd be interested in a very focused class just on driving the FJC. But maybe I'll congregate after there's a bunch of FJC owners out there and we can watch each other bounce around and learn from a more experienced offroader like yourself. Sounds fun. And maybe Percy can come to.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I've got family and friends in Arlington (DFW Area) and eventually we will take the road trip back out that way... So I will DEFINITELY have to plan a couple extra days (1 for the trip down there since it take a day and a half to cross texas) and play for a day with the mighty Pancho.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Pancho said:
And yes Shannon I know a lot about trespassing and land issues and all that mess. I've got a thousand feet of Frio River, some of which some sons a bitches think they can drive their vehicles through. It's that "navigable stream" issue. Are you familiar with it?
I'm very familiar with it. SB155 closed down all access to river beds of navigable waters to all motorized vehicles. The the new law was put into affect in January 2004. We (the 4x4 community) fought hard on that one to try to kill the bill but we lost.

The main reason that bill was ever introduced was because of exactly what you are saying you have problems with Pancho...people trespassing on private property. It is ashame that a few bad apples ruined it for all of us.

Now if some of you read this and wonder..."why in the hell would you want to drive through a river?" Well, to clarify, the places that we went were dried riverbeds which did not have water flowing through them but were considered part of the river as they would have water flowing through them from time to time.

I'm not familiar with the Frio River Pancho as I never have been there to wheel. The one place that we went to was up in Kingsland called 'The Slab' which was part of the Llano River. Never had water flowing through it unless they had a bunch of rainfall...then it looked like an actual river and you certainly could not drive a 4x4 through it!

The land owners there had a big problem with people trespassing all the time. Coming up from the river at night and camping on their propery and usually leaving trash behind. Which, if I were a land owner there I would be furious if it was my land they were doing that to. I'm not blaming the land owners for that new law passing. I blame the idiots that did it! They were the drunken, redneck morons (usually local) that wanted to take their big huge POS down the river and party. That's who ruined it for those of us who actually obeyed the law and treaded lightly!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts