Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fj built for north america well be locally made and only comes as V6 model.
There is the version which well be sold in Europe and middle east with (Diesel be an option) and that well be built in Japan.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I had read somewhere that the FJC was built in Japan.
As for Japanese assembly quality; Toyota Camry, the best selling and most dependible car in USA is made in Kentucky. Americans can do a fine job provided management would let them. If GM was turned over to Toyota they would probably turn things around eventually. GMs problem lies in management. They are more concerned with quantity than quality.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
medrad said:
The fj built for north america well be locally made and only comes as V6 model.
There is the version which well be sold in Europe and middle east with (Diesel be an option) and that well be built in Japan.
Where did you hear this? Last I heard the FJ was being built for North America only and was being build in Japan.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
SpeedwayBlue said:
I got nothing against american workers but, I prefer my FJ,s "vin" starts with a "J".
Would you not buy it if was made in USA??
Personally, I've bought three Toyotas made in USA. And even though it's not out there, I'd never buy a GM made in Japan

·
Registered
378 Posts
They could build them in Ethipoia for all I care. If that keeps the price down, so be it . They all go through the same QA and I am behind the TOYOTA name regarless. Just because the plants might be on foreign soil, there are so many parts that are imported and exported anymore, you really don't know where they come from.
Whatever way that doens't hurt my wallet is for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I read Japan as well. As mentioned during the FJC announcement in Chicago a while back "Toyota did not announce prices, but did say they intend to sell about 40,000 per year in the US, Canada, and Mexico. FJ will be built in Japan, and the vehicle shown in Chicago was what Toyota considered an "exterior prototype". I read a study where they compared American built Honda Accords to the Japanese assembled ones. No difference in quality.

What differentiates Toyota quality from the rest? It's the company culture, philosophy, design, and empowering assembly line workers and treating them as team members. Read what's posted by Toyota on their Kentucky plant website:

"Toyota's commitment to a world class, quality automobile is entrenched in the entire manufacturing philosophy. From the development stages to manufacturing a product, the quest for superior quality is evident.

PHILOSOPHY
The cornerstone of Toyota's quality control system is the role of the team members in the production process. The principles on which Toyota was founded are employed at the Georgetown plant.

Toyota involves its team members by:

encouraging an active role in quality control,
utilizing employee ideas and opinions in production processes,
and practicing "kaizen"— striving for constant improvement.
Toyota team members treat the next person on the production line as their customer and will not pass a defective part on to that customer. If a team member finds a problem with a part or the automobile, the team member stops the line and corrects the problem before the vehicle goes any farther down the line."

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm not gonna lie to you guys. i kinda feel a sense of pride (lil bit) at starting a thread that actually caught on.

as for where it'll be built - no disrespect to KY, i know they build a product 50 million times better than buik - but it would be icing on the cake if Huang Shii Toyota himself assembled the FJ. i trust Huang. we go way back.

·
Registered
162 Posts
other1 said:
Would you not buy it if was made in USA??
Personally, I've bought three Toyotas made in USA. And even though it's not out there, I'd never buy a GM made in Japan
Heck no, i think the FJ,s going to be a top shelf rig, sold all over the world (most traveled rig, like the old ones) and i'll buy one, i just beleave there is an even higher level of quality, coming out of japan.

Toyota built the chevy nova, (same as the corolla) and it was a good car that i would buy. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
ilitig8 said:
TruckTrend (Jan/Feb 06) has a 4 page spread on the FJ and says it will be built in Tahara, Japan.
someone assked about rear child seat teathers. they are clearly shown in one of the pictures in this issue of truck trend. the yellow also looks really cool in this issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
other1 said:
I had read somewhere that the FJC was built in Japan.
As for Japanese assembly quality; Toyota Camry, the best selling and most dependible car in USA is made in Kentucky. Americans can do a fine job provided management would let them. If GM was turned over to Toyota they would probably turn things around eventually. GMs problem lies in management. They are more concerned with quantity than quality.
Actually, the Toyota Prius is the most reliable car according to the reliabilty surveys, and the Ford F-series is the best selling vehicle in America.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mpd8488 said:
Actually, the Toyota Prius is the most reliable car according to the reliabilty surveys, and the Ford F-series is the best selling vehicle in America.
Surveys can be very decieving. The Prius has a tendancy to drain batteries and leak battery fliud (sometimes starting a fire). Toyota includes a service contract in the sale of the Pius, so every car gets serviced and updated as needed automatically. Some call this a "continous recall". Owners just get a good functioning car after each service. (Source: LA Times 11-30-05)

No disrespect to Toyota or the great new entry Prius and it's wonderful polution free mileage figures. After all it is NEW technology. If every auto had a service contract in place like the Pruis we'd all have more reliable cars.

Glad the FJC is using proven components! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
The FJ Cruiser is built in Japan at the Katashiki plant.
I work at a Dealership in Puyallup Washington and we just received the initial
spec's the other day.
It's interesting that most of the information posted on the forum here is accurate. It's a great way to keep informed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OCatTOP said:
The FJ Cruiser is built in Japan at the Katashiki plant.
I work at a Dealership in Puyallup Washington and we just received the initial
spec's the other day.
It's interesting that most of the information posted on the forum here is accurate. It's a great way to keep informed.
Hey, OCatTop, Do you know when the FJ,s will be arriving at the toyota facility at terminal 4, port of portland? Much like the wait and anticipation of the FJC, I could'nt wait to see the '05 tacomas come in. I did'nt see them unloaded, but i got to see a bunch of them in every color lined up in the lot.

I hope i get lucky and see the cruisers being off loaded. Whatever i see i'll post photos here. KILLLLLLLLER I'M STOKED!!! :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
The prius only looses its battery power after sitting for extended periods untouched-weeks at a time. Also, the chances of battery acid leaking is really no greater than in any other vehicle.

And no, the prius does not pose a risk to firefighters using the jaws of life, no the batteries don't need to be replaced every few years, no the prius does not need to be plugged in, no the prius does not get EPA mileage, but it still gets twice that of just about every other car out there, yes the prius makes economical sense to those who drive a lot, and no the only owners of priuses are not tree hugging hippies.

There, I thought I would just correct all the myths about the prius that most people believe :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
HunkerDown said:
Surveys can be very decieving. The Prius has a tendancy to drain batteries and leak battery fliud (sometimes starting a fire). Toyota includes a service contract in the sale of the Pius, so every car gets serviced and updated as needed automatically. Some call this a "continous recall". Owners just get a good functioning car after each service. (Source: LA Times 11-30-05)

No disrespect to Toyota or the great new entry Prius and it's wonderful polution free mileage figures. After all it is NEW technology. If every auto had a service contract in place like the Pruis we'd all have more reliable cars.

Glad the FJC is using proven components!

:D
The Prius does not come with a "factory service contract" designed for a "continuos recall". Let's get our facts straight.

The Prius has the same warranty as every Toyota product: 36 month/36,000 mile Bumper-to-Bumper; 60 month/60,000 mile Powertrain; 60 month/60,000 Restraint System; 60 month/unlimited mileage Corrosion Perforation. And 96 month/100,000 mile Hybrid System warranty. Hunker, last time I checked, a Factory Warranty and a Service Contract were two completely different things.

Toyota has even opted not to continue with the 36 months/36,000 miles of Roadside Assistance coverage that was offered on the 2004/2005 Prius for the 2006MY for two reasons: 1) wide public acceptance of the Prius and hybrid technology over the past 2 years(heck, they even licensed their technology to Ford and Nissan); and 2) roadside assistance was needed so little for the past two years. You see, they included the coverage so the Prius buyers would feel more at-ease with their purchase decision.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts