Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a store somewhere between Orange and L.A. County that I can go into a store and pick up A Midland 75-822 CB?

I was hoping to find a retail store rather than ordering online.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Check with Walmart. I think they carry that one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, actually I checked and I think the Midland was listed at $78.00 on Amazon. I was hoping to just put the cash and not charge anything. But I think it might actually be cheaper in the long run.

I had a chance to check out Mikescruiser's set-up and it seems lie it would be perfect for me. Especially with the auto connection that plugs into the cig lighter. I'm guessing that once I get a larger antenna the range should be ok for what I need it.

What has your experience been with the Midland??

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
It's been great. I have the 4' antenna on a Bandi Mount, with the connector on the passenger side of the center console. I have the CB in the glove box until I need it, then I simply plug it in and turn it on. It gets very good reception and transmission too. It's the best non-permanent setup I have seen. By non-permanent I mean a radio that I can take out and there will be no trace of it ever being in the rig. No holes drilled, nothing permanently mounted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been great. I have the 4' antenna on a Bandi Mount, with the connector on the passenger side of the center console. I have the CB in the glove box until I need it, then I simply plug it in and turn it on. It gets very good reception and transmission too. It's the best non-permanent setup I have seen. By non-permanent I mean a radio that I can take out and there will be no trace of it ever being in the rig. No holes drilled, nothing permanently mounted.
Ok I'm sold. After hearing a couple good recommendations and doing some research in this thread I'm going to pick one up. I'll make one last stop at a local Walmart just to take a look. If not Amazon here I come.

Thanks,

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I finally broke down and ordered the Midland off Amazon.com. It should be here on Wednesday. Just in time for Big Bear. I wasn't able to order the Bandi mount just yet. I'll have to make due with a magnetic mount for now. But is there anything else someone would suggest getting or doing, or researching before using the thing this weekend. It's been a loooonng time since I've played with a CB.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Cruiser4,
I wish I had seen this thread previously. You have a very good and well respected shop in your backyard. The Solder Joint in Orange on Tustin is an old time cb shop. I would suggest you visit them.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cruiser4,
I wish I had seen this thread previously. You have a very good and well respected shop in your backyard. The Solder Joint in Orange on Tustin is an old time cb shop. I would suggest you visit them.

Regards, SSC
Bummer, is that The Solder Joint 2-Way Radio Sales and Service this one? If so, it can easily be on my route home in the evening. I still need to look into a antenna. I'll give them a try first. I can still use the information.

Thanks,
:rocker:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Indeed, that is the place. For what it's worth I run a mag mount. Little husler and it has served me well. I had the bandi mount setup with a firestick and it was terrible.

Regards, SSC

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
We have a similar setup. I run Wilson Little Wil.

·
Registered
371 Posts
By George, You have good taste!:rocker:

Hope to see you in BB this Sat, so long as certain bolts come in. Lost my rear UCA bolt during the past week of wheeling.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it sounds like I'm on the right track. But I still don't know what is meant by "tuning" with a SWR meter. At least not all the technical aspects. As I understand it the antenna must be trimmed to match the radio's impedance...?? I think I 'll be stopping by that shop on Wed. after the radio arrives hopefully I can get a crash coarse in CB electronics. And take a look at the antenna's you both mentioned.

Thanks,

·
Registered
371 Posts
Buy your antenna from them and they will set it up.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check The Truck Stops: Pilot, T/a ,flying J,petrol They Usually Have A Good Selection

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Truckers spend a lot of time with the CB so those places have quite a selection.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Truckers spend a lot of time with the CB so those places have quite a selection.
I remember starting to get into CB's as a teen when we were out camping. But I assumed that whole thing died out over the years. The only two way communications I've been use to are the Motorola Handhelds everyone has when you're at Disneyland. I do know when the Midland arrives there will b e no stopping my boys from wanting to play with it.

If anything I sure learning allot looking through all the posts.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
With the Midland, you may want to consider an extra battery or keep it charged. It's so portable it's easy to forget.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts