Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
4401 - 4413 of 4413 Posts

·
Registered
2011 ICEBERG- 6-speed
57 Posts
After more than 3 weeks in hibernation, drove Lakandula to Alabama Hills in Lone Pine, CA. Easy and moderate trails criss-cross Alabama Hills and driving around the different rock formations is quite a sight, a respite from work indeed.

PA090084 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

PA090098 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

PA090103 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

PA090115 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

PA090068 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

PA090028 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

PA090013 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

IMG_2478 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

and decided to drive up Mt Whitney's trail head before heading home.

PA090143 by Ramon Flores, on Flickr
Very nice... what are you running for susp & tires?

·
Registered
2011 ICEBERG- 6-speed
57 Posts
The colors here in Utah have been changing and today I drove a road called the Alpine Loop, and I'm glad I did! The storm came in this evening that is supposed to drop snow up here over the next couple days so if I didn't drive it this morning like I did I would have missed this! They close the roads once the snows come.

View attachment 1178136
View attachment 1178137
View attachment 1178138
View attachment 1178139
View attachment 1178140
View attachment 1178141
View attachment 1178143
View attachment 1178144
View attachment 1178145
Absolutely beautiful! Where is this? I have to go.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,375 Posts
Absolutely beautiful! Where is this? I have to go.
It is on a scenic road called the Alpine Loop. It is located in Utah, you drive up American Fork canyon and travel up and over a pass and drop down into Provo Canyon.

·
Premium Member
3,653 Posts
"Where did you go with your FJ today?"

Today I drove my FJ from my old home in Michigan to my new home in Jackson Hole, WY.
Well, I finished the drive today, it took more than one day.

Best part: climbing steep hills going over passes, where the speed limit is 80mph and not ever having to downshift because the supercharger just keeps on providing more power.

Most interesting part: while carrying a trailer over the last few hours (picked it up in Rigby, ID), experimenting with what gear to be in by monitoring the real time mpg. 5th was best with the trailer in tow (the trailer wasn't too big or heavy but the passes were steep).

Worst part: backing into a low canopy and cracking my rooftop box, late at night, after a 12+hour day. Linus: You know, you lose focus in this game for one second... Danny: I know, somebody gets hurt. - Ocean's 11.

From Bozeman to Big Sky the road was a red snake continuous line of cars, but all of the rest of the trip the roads were pretty empty, and fast.

Curious part: east of the Mississippi 93 octane is available at every station, I was getting ~13.5mpg driving at a steady 80~85mph. West of the Mississippi, only 91 octane is available anywhere, and going the same speed, mpg dropped to mid 12's (no passes, or significant altitude change). The 91 is often labelled as ethanol free, but apparently that 3% increased energy content was no match for what the engine ECU could do with those extra octane points. I tried a variety of octane boosters once it was clear that was the issue and not my travel speed, but found no benefit. The ECU tune for the supercharger definitely retards the timing when not getting enough octane (of course it doesn't sense the fuel, it listens for knock and retards for that).

Man this fuel tank is small. Filling up every 4 hours is not really a problem, because a brief break is nice in that interval, but having to continuously question if a fuel station will be available in the remote parts of the west means you really have to keep on your toes (or carry a full can on the roof and futz around with that). Aux tank needs to be my next project.

I installed a Pioneer head unit and high quality front speakers some years ago, but this is the first really long trip after I experimented (a LOT) with equalization and it rocks now. Very satisfying listening experience. It turns out there was one single, narrow frequency band (3.15k Hz) at which the audio was extremely harsh, making the whole thing should painful at volume. Attenuating that one narrow band really opened up the rest of the range (and made my ears happy).

Many people have complained about the hardness of the driver's seat on this forum. I put on a seat cover and then put a piece of 1" foam rubber under me and it made a world of difference (and I also put some 2" behind my lumbar spine which also improved that support).

Before this trip, among the other maintenance items conducted: fluid changes, zerks greased, driveshaft bolts torque checked, O2 & A/F sensors replaced (100k mile service) and MAF cleaned, while changing the oil and swapping on the snow tires I noticed one tie rod end was quite loose. So, I replaced those and had a 4 wheel alignment done. In past years at high speed (80+) it felt less stable than now. Now it is just as solid as can be, and tracked straight as an arrow. Very nice.

Norm

·
トヨタ Master
16,331 Posts
"Where did you go with your FJ today?"

Today I drove my FJ from my old home in Michigan to my new home in Jackson Hole, WY.
Well, I finished the drive today, it took more than one day.

Best part: climbing steep hills going over passes, where the speed limit is 80mph and not ever having to downshift because the supercharger just keeps on providing more power.

Most interesting part: while carrying a trailer over the last few hours (picked it up in Rigby, ID), experimenting with what gear to be in by monitoring the real time mpg. 5th was best with the trailer in tow (the trailer wasn't too big or heavy but the passes were steep).

Worst part: backing into a low canopy and cracking my rooftop box, late at night, after a 12+hour day. Linus: You know, you lose focus in this game for one second... Danny: I know, somebody gets hurt. - Ocean's 11.

From Bozeman to Big Sky the road was a red snake continuous line of cars, but all of the rest of the trip the roads were pretty empty, and fast.

Curious part: east of the Mississippi 93 octane is available at every station, I was getting ~13.5mpg driving at a steady 80~85mph. West of the Mississippi, only 91 octane is available anywhere, and going the same speed, mpg dropped to mid 12's (no passes, or significant altitude change). The 91 is often labelled as ethanol free, but apparently that 3% increased energy content was no match for what the engine ECU could do with those extra octane points. I tried a variety of octane boosters once it was clear that was the issue and not my travel speed, but found no benefit. The ECU tune for the supercharger definitely retards the timing when not getting enough octane (of course it doesn't sense the fuel, it listens for knock and retards for that).

Man this fuel tank is small. Filling up every 4 hours is not really a problem, because a brief break is nice in that interval, but having to continuously question if a fuel station will be available in the remote parts of the west means you really have to keep on your toes (or carry a full can on the roof and futz around with that). Aux tank needs to be my next project.

I installed a Pioneer head unit and high quality front speakers some years ago, but this is the first really long trip after I experimented (a LOT) with equalization and it rocks now. Very satisfying listening experience. It turns out there was one single, narrow frequency band (3.15k Hz) at which the audio was extremely harsh, making the whole thing should painful at volume. Attenuating that one narrow band really opened up the rest of the range (and made my ears happy).

Many people have complained about the hardness of the driver's seat on this forum. I put on a seat cover and then put a piece of 1" foam rubber under me and it made a world of difference (and I also put some 2" behind my lumbar spine which also improved that support).

Before this trip, among the other maintenance items conducted: fluid changes, zerks greased, driveshaft bolts torque checked, O2 & A/F sensors replaced (100k mile service) and MAF cleaned, while changing the oil and swapping on the snow tires I noticed one tie rod end was quite loose. So, I replaced those and had a 4 wheel alignment done. In past years at high speed (80+) it felt less stable than now. Now it is just as solid as can be, and tracked straight as an arrow. Very nice.

Norm
Welcome to Wyoming, high roller! You will never benefit from high octane in this high altitude. Yes, here, the only way to get ethanol free is to get 91 (85&87 at two places in my town), but not all 91 is ethanol free. Most places post whether it is or not. I'd say about 30% in the state is ethanol free. Jackson and Teton counties are not very conservative anymore, so they don't mind "saving the environment" with ethanol fuels. It's simply a biproduct of living here. I run 85 e-free most of the time in my county, but our baseline altitude is 7200'. About once per year I run 91 but there's really no benefit and gas mileage is no different in my '07. Our '18 4Runner, I can tell a slight amount of difference but it's also a different version of the same engine with different VVT tuning, perhaps that's the difference.

Are you retired now and how did you find property here? It's been through the roof since last year.

·
Premium Member
3,653 Posts
"Are you retired now and how did you find property here?"
Howdy Cabin, I was thinking of folks like you, on this forum who already live in WY and nearby when I made this move. Possibly I'm the only one in J'Hole at the moment (though it would be great to hear otherwise). I think I remember you're in Cheyenne?

I am sort of semi-retired: thanks to Covid we all learned working remotely actually can work, so I went part time (3 days/wk) and remote, starting this month. Am renting an apartment this year, on the lookout for property to buy, but as you'd noted, everyone else also realized the same as me and real estate, which was already in the "Manhattan, NY" league has gone up even more. The plan is to spend winters in WY, summers back east at my house there. If I can buy a property here it'll be rented each summer (where the really big bucks are, weekly rentals through the 3 peak months, etc.) to help pay the vig.

Besides part time remote work for my main job, each winter I'll be patrolling at Snow King, and then each summer go back to full time. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'll see how it goes this first winter (taking the pay cut + the rental apartment + all of the ski trips I've planned which are strangely not hardly any cheaper even though they don't require airfare, or hotel for the local ones) + replacing gear which is kind of getting near that stage and will now be used daily + additional training and certification for patrol/AVI safety/etc.). If it works out, I'll do this for the next several years, until there's a really good reason to retire (like, to get access to my retirement funds to provide the resources to purchase).

I like my job, though it is really hard, I get a lot out of it, mentally, emotionally, and satisfaction-wise. So retirement isn't the big draw it is for most.

My take on life right now is "yippee-kiyay, m*therf*cker!"
As Warren Miller always said, "Quit your job, move out west and become a ski bum. Because if you don't do it this year you'll be another year older when you do."

Norm

·
トヨタ Master
16,331 Posts
"Are you retired now and how did you find property here?"
Howdy Cabin, I was thinking of folks like you, on this forum who already live in WY and nearby when I made this move. Possibly I'm the only one in J'Hole at the moment (though it would be great to hear otherwise). I think I remember you're in Cheyenne?

I am sort of semi-retired: thanks to Covid we all learned working remotely actually can work, so I went part time (3 days/wk) and remote, starting this month. Am renting an apartment this year, on the lookout for property to buy, but as you'd noted, everyone else also realized the same as me and real estate, which was already in the "Manhattan, NY" league has gone up even more. The plan is to spend winters in WY, summers back east at my house there. If I can buy a property here it'll be rented each summer (where the really big bucks are, weekly rentals through the 3 peak months, etc.) to help pay the vig.

Besides part time remote work for my main job, each winter I'll be patrolling at Snow King, and then each summer go back to full time. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'll see how it goes this first winter (taking the pay cut + the rental apartment + all of the ski trips I've planned which are strangely not hardly any cheaper even though they don't require airfare, or hotel for the local ones) + replacing gear which is kind of getting near that stage and will now be used daily + additional training and certification for patrol/AVI safety/etc.). If it works out, I'll do this for the next several years, until there's a really good reason to retire (like, to get access to my retirement funds to provide the resources to purchase).

I like my job, though it is really hard, I get a lot out of it, mentally, emotionally, and satisfaction-wise. So retirement isn't the big draw it is for most.

My take on life right now is "yippee-kiyay, m*therf*cker!"
As Warren Miller always said, "Quit your job, move out west and become a ski bum. Because if you don't do it this year you'll be another year older when you do."

Norm
Air BNB is a good way to make some income. My uncle was a ski instructor out there for years. Winters in J Hole, and then in Nashville for the non-ski seasons. He retired at 59 if I remember doing what he loved in Jackson. He didn't stay and went back south full time as it was too expensive up there to live on retired benefits. I live near Laramie, on the other end of the state. We have a few members out your way from what I know. I'm sure some have moved on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Utah, again...
Plant Natural environment Natural landscape Bedrock Mountain

Scariest thing I've done yet were the switchbacks on the Flint Trail. Had my wife literally crying in the passenger seat. Rated as a 2.0, easily a 2.5, I'd put it at a 3. Not for the faint of heart, shouldn't have been there by myself.
Sky Plant Bedrock Natural landscape Landscape

Sky Plant Tire Plant community Ecoregion

Plant Tire Car Sky Vehicle

South draw road into Capitol Reef, also a pretty sketchy 2.0. Most of the road is easy, a few steep washed out descents on the edge made for a white knuckled ride. Again, wife was not happy but the unbelievable scenery made up for it.

4401 - 4413 of 4413 Posts