Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
4521 - 4540 of 4573 Posts

· Premium Member
6,847 Posts
Went to the power equipment store to sell my old 1980's Stihl dislocate your shoulder just trying to start it chainsaw you can't even get parts for anymore for a newer easier to start for an old lady with osteoarthritis in the left shoulder homeowner version. I've got just landscaping cutting to do now, so I don't need something sufficient for logging anymore. While headed down the street, there were 3 of us FJ's all in line front to back on the street at the stop light for some reason. We all waved to one another and thumbed up. Must've looked funny. A gang of FJ's. Corvallis seems to be an FJ mecca for some reason because I see A LOT of them here.
I remember back in the day having 27 Fjs in a row going to a trail run. And we had about 75 Fjs when we all got together at Pismo Beach. That doesn`t happen anymore.

· Registered
419 Posts
Mahogany flat campgrounds, Death Valley CA.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Registered
265 Posts
We've been in Troncones for a week now, which is a rustic little beach town on the west cost of Mexico. Haven't been doing a lot of offroading, but the FJ has been great to get to some out of the way spots, like this one we found today:

Sky Plant Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

We'll be here for a couple more days, then head home. We'll probably take the FJ out to explore another part of the coast once more before we leave. This is the low season, as its supposed to be the rainiest month, but the weather has been amazing, and we've had the entire place to ourselves.

· Registered
260 Posts
We've been in Troncones for a week now, which is a rustic little beach town on the west cost of Mexico. Haven't been doing a lot of offroading, but the FJ has been great to get to some out of the way spots, like this one we found today:

View attachment 1216919

We'll be here for a couple more days, then head home. We'll probably take the FJ out to explore another part of the coast once more before we leave. This is the low season, as its supposed to be the rainiest month, but the weather has been amazing, and we've had the entire place to ourselves.
I want to overland in Mexico so bad! I would need a tour guide. Looks absolutely beautiful on the west coast and baja.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: FJExpat

· Registered
418 Posts
@leooshyou could join the baja xl group. 3000+ miles, down the peninsula to Cabo and back. It's a little pricey. Something I've been wanting to do since I heard about it. I don't have the balls to go tooling around remote parts of Mexico by myself, kudos to you @FJExpat

Reactions: FJExpat

· Registered
265 Posts
I want to overland in Mexico so bad! I would need a tour guide. Looks absolutely beautiful on the west coast and baja.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ya, the amount of beautiful undeveloped country to explore in Mexico could keep you busy for several lifetimes.

If I were to try to illustrate how it differs from overlanding in the US, I'd say the convenience factor is much better up there. Forestry roads, state and national parks with defined routes, you really know what to expect and where you can and can't go.

Down here though, you open up Google maps and select some out of the way routes which seem like they'd lead somewhere cool, and 4 out of 5 times they're gated off before you get anywhere interesting. But that 5th time is some random track a humble guy cut to get out to some remote spot he's attempting to cultivate, or something akin to the western US expansion, where some family cut a track up into the mountains to start a homestead, so that you and that guy or family are the only people driving that track. So, you can waste a day not finding anything at all worth exploring, but often enough you can find routes where it feels like you're one of a handful of people who have ever been on that specific spot on the earth. It's a cool experience.

Taking my head out of the clouds, I think we probably found out about it too late to do it this year, but apparently there is a big corgi event on the beach close to San Diego in October (we have an adopted corgi). I think definitely next year we'll have to plan it out, do a road trip from central mexico all the way up the west coast, Baja, and up to Dan Diego. When that time comes around I'll definitely make a post about it, as it would be awesome to meet up with FJ enthusiasts in southern California and do some off roading either in that part of the states or in NW Mexico.

· Registered
265 Posts
@leooshyou could join the baja xl group. 3000+ miles, down the peninsula to Cabo and back. It's a little pricey. Something I've been wanting to do since I heard about it. I don't have the balls to go tooling around remote parts of Mexico by myself, kudos to you @FJExpat
Since I bought my FJ about a year ago I've hade the mad idea of buying a couple more, modding them up, and then offering an adventure overlanding touring experience of of San Miguel de Allende. I think there are multiple reasons why it's farcical and way too niche to be worthwhile, but it still strikes me as a fun idea. lol

· Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
1,072 Posts
Went on a rescue mission 😅
Some friends got stuck over night... 9pm till 7am and 3 jeeps couldn't make it, so we got together and went to get them out...
It's very close to where I had my FJ's drowning incident, quarry that got filled during rains, playground next to home... Lately the quarry wins more than we do 😳

But rescue went well, we went in and out, almost 0 delays...

Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Cloud Sky Plant community Ecoregion Plant
Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Wheel Water Car Plant
Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle
Water Plant Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Cloud Water Sky Plant Car
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

· Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Went out to check the roads/trails that have been closed due to the fires two years ago. Took the iPad and GAIA Gps and found a couple work arounds. We can now go up to Mt Hood on Hwy-26 and come back on Hwy-224 and make the loop. First time since the fires.

Sorry, only pics of Mt Hood from High Rock to the south. Looking pretty shabby until the snows start.
Sky Mountain Plant Ecoregion Tree

Sky Mountain Plant Highland Landscape

From a previous winter, snows better get a move on.
Sky Mountain Snow Natural landscape Plant

· Registered
265 Posts
Took a spontaneous trip to Guanajuato capital today. During October they hold a massive city-wide month-long festival called Cervantino, a mix of art and music and film. We hadn't been the last couple years due to COVID, but wanted to at least get a peak this year. It's such a beautiful city to visit, but this time we took advantage of the FJ and took a very remote mountain route back. Nothing technical or difficult, but about 15 miles of extremely rough bedrock through some mountain passes. I'm curious of the history of this route, it must have its origins in the 18th century silver trade which was massive in this region, as I can't imagine why anyone would construct this route in more modern times. Regardless, just a really nice day over some pretty remote countryside.

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Car

Tire Cloud Sky Car Plant

· Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Ran the Naches Wagon Trail from the ridge to NF 1900 today. Did not see any one on the trail today, no rigs, no people, not even at government camp. Beautiful day. Here is a shot from the Naches Pass. Great spot for a snack while listening to the elk bugle close by.
Leaf Plant Wood Font Grass
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

· Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Where else? Back up to Mt Hood to check things out. The fire didn't go everywhere, still some beautiful country.

Note: The cause
Leaf Font Rectangle Grass Wall

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Road surface

Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Motor vehicle Road surface Vehicle Asphalt

One of the many beautiful camp grounds destroyed.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Water Plant community Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

Doesn't really show how clear, that's the bottom not a reflection
Water Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Lake

Water Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Riparian zone

Started using the new (to me) GAIA Overland map. Really like it.
Computer Personal computer Table Output device Plant

I'll post more, 10 is the limit

4521 - 4540 of 4573 Posts