Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a DX959 with the souped up output transistor mods. I have mounted a K40 antenna on my roof rack and I'm ready to route the cable, I just need to decide where to mount the CB unit itself. I've seen a number of different setups, but wanted to see more pics before I settle on a final location.

some setups I've seen so far (in person or online):
  1. LandCruiserSteve - Steve mounted his on the back of the center console. I like the handiness of this location, but step daughter rides in back seat a lot and the radio unit will be very close to her knees
  2. DoubleJFJ - Julian mounted his on the passenger side of the front of center console, but wife rides in the front and ... see previous entry
  3. CtheProducer - I believe Corey hung his from the roof, but I'd rather avoid tearing up the headliner and built-in tweeter exciter, plus I am not sure how to attach to the actual roof, headliner doesn't have the strength needed.
Any more suggestions for a full sized CB installation? Lets see some pics of your favorite installs!

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts

The HAM radio is on the passenger side of the console (picture). The CB is a Midland - guts in the handset.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I mounted mine like Uphill's, only on the driver's side of the console. The mic is mounted on the side of the radio closest to me.

The radio and mic are easy to reach, and my right leg rests comfortably against the bottom of the case (the bottom faces the driver's door, so that the speaker can be heard).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess if I am going to be risking someone's shins, then it would make better political decision to offer up my own. I will evaluate the driver side console more (tried it and it looked very tight) as well as the "integrated into the console storage box" idea like Dominic uses.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone done a review on C/B's? I'm new to the whole "what's yer handle" scene and i'm looking for some advice.

Come back...

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
My requirements were simple. It could not take occupant space and it had to be accessible by the driver and passenger.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chris2....that is just....god thats awesome...nice job.

·
Registered
627 Posts
How is it mounted exactly?? doesn't look like you used any single-din mounting kit.
I used the stock mount, some of its screw holes lined up for the radio and cb. I then filled in the sides with some pieces of aluminum that I painted. I think the double din kit works also.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I recently acquired a DX959 with the souped up output transistor mods. I have mounted a K40 antenna on my roof rack and I'm ready to route the cable, I just need to decide where to mount the CB unit itself. I've seen a number of different setups, but wanted to see more pics before I settle on a final location.

some setups I've seen so far (in person or online):
  1. LandCruiserSteve - Steve mounted his on the back of the center console. I like the handiness of this location, but step daughter rides in back seat a lot and the radio unit will be very close to her knees
  2. DoubleJFJ - Julian mounted his on the passenger side of the front of center console, but wife rides in the front and ... see previous entry
  3. CtheProducer - I believe Corey hung his from the roof, but I'd rather avoid tearing up the headliner and built-in tweeter exciter, plus I am not sure how to attach to the actual roof, headliner doesn't have the strength needed.
Any more suggestions for a full sized CB installation? Lets see some pics of your favorite installs!
Skorp62, I use to have the DX959 until one of the movers stole it when I moved from Ca back to Texas! Anyway, I now have a Galaxy 66V from the same place (RadioActiveRadios.com - CB Radios, 10-Meter Radios, Base Stations, Antennas, and more!) and love it. Anyway, I just made a removable mounting platform I put behind and between the front seats. I'll get you a picture when if I get the chance tonight. I use the Bandi mount with a Wilson 2000. It's a little tall but it's very flexible! I just run my cable right between the rear door and body. With the weather stripping I don't have to worry about the cable being cut. How do you like your 959?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I use the Bandi mount with a Wilson 2000. It's a little tall but it's very flexible!
I'm seriously considering the Wilson 500 (shorter whip, but same baseload?). How do you like your Wilson? Comparable to a K40?

Apologies for the thread hi-jack, everyone. But the antenna is equally, if not more important than, the radio. If the OP hasn't bought his antenna yet, then the question is relevant...

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I'm seriously considering the Wilson 500 (shorter whip, but same baseload?). How do you like your Wilson? Comparable to a K40?

Apologies for the thread hi-jack, everyone. But the antenna is equally, if not more important than, the radio. If the OP hasn't bought his antenna yet, then the question is relevant...
To be honest, I just changed out from a firestik to the Wilson due to wacking the firestik at drive thru's! I haven't put the radio in since. I did use the K40 magnet mount before I put the Bandi mount on and it was excellent! The Firestik worked equally as well. I'll find out how the Wilson does on my way to the Thrill on the Hill next month.:wave:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts