Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Smittybilt XRC 8 Competition Winch and was wondering where people were mounting the control box. I have the standard Demello winch bumper. I'm sure there are some others out there with this combination. I have read all the winch threads I can find, but did not see any mention of control box location for this specific winch. The XRC control box seem a little large to me but maybe they are all this big. Thinking of either in the bumper or under the hood but does not look like it will fit between the radiator and the washer bottle like some mounts I have seen. Also if anyone has mounted under the hood where did you get your extension cables? And of course pictures always appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
I recently picked up a Smittybilt XRC 8 Competition Winch and was wondering where people were mounting the control box. I have the standard Demello winch bumper. I'm sure there are some others out there with this combination. I have read all the winch threads I can find, but did not see any mention of control box location for this specific winch. The XRC control box seem a little large to me but maybe they are all this big. Thinking of either in the bumper or under the hood but does not look like it will fit between the radiator and the washer bottle like some mounts I have seen. Also if anyone has mounted under the hood where did you get your extension cables? And of course pictures always appreciated.
I am about 1-2 days from mounting the exact winch in a Lucrum mount on my 2008 MT6 FJ. I have elected to mount the box under the hood on the passenger side inner fender about 1/3 back from the front of the grill. I purchased #2 Marine grade battery cable{fine strands and tinned} in the proper red,black and yellow colors from a place on Ebay called Gregs Marine Wire Supply. It was $2.65 per foot and shipping was a flat $9. Also bought the proper lugs for about $1.30 each. The wire and service were 1st class. I will post pics when I am finished.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have the Demello bumper and looking to get a XRC. I will try to put the control box under the hood. I also worry about getting to the lever through the bumper, seems like a tight fit.
Post pics if you get it mounted.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I dont have an xrc I have a warn they are simlilar.I put mine on the passenger fender of course I bought longer cables.It keeps it dry.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine is also a warn, but mounted mine behind the grille. Not sure about the Smittybilt, but the warn allows you to rotate the gear housing. If you notice I rotated mine to place the lever in the opening better.

I'm also using this wireless winch control. The receiver fit entirely inside the warn control box and you can still use the wired remote. I did have to install a switch to connect the ground side of the relays for the wireless to work, but i liked it for added safety.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIRELESS-WINCH-REMOTE-CONTROL-4x4-Honda-atv-rancher-trx-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf5661fa5QQitemZ330534625189QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Demello bumper and looking to get a XRC. I will try to put the control box under the hood. I also worry about getting to the lever through the bumper, seems like a tight fit.
Post pics if you get it mounted.
I got mine for $382.55 on Amazon with free shipping about three weeks ago. They were at this price for about a week but looks like they are back up to $484.82 now. Keep watching if they went there once they will probably go there again. :) It was really a good deal I think and made me finally pull the trigger on a winch.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got mine for $382.55 on Amazon with free shipping about three weeks ago. They were at this price for about a week but looks like they are back up to $484.82 now. Keep watching if they went there once they will probably go there again. :) It was really a good deal I think and made me finally pull the trigger on a winch.
I have read several places that the XRC solenoids have trouble with water. Someone posted a how to over on tacomaworld about sealing it up better before installing it. Might want to look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am about 1-2 days from mounting the exact winch in a Lucrum mount on my 2008 MT6 FJ. I have elected to mount the box under the hood on the passenger side inner fender about 1/3 back from the front of the grill. I purchased #2 Marine grade battery cable{fine strands and tinned} in the proper red,black and yellow colors from a place on Ebay called Gregs Marine Wire Supply. It was $2.65 per foot and shipping was a flat $9. Also bought the proper lugs for about $1.30 each. The wire and service were 1st class. I will post pics when I am finished.

Bibb in San Antonio
I was just searching on ebay but did not get any hits on "Gregs Marine Wire Supply". I did find some wire from other verndors? What lengths are using? 36 inches or so?

Would this be the right size for the lugs?

10 Bare Ring Lug Terminal Connector #2/0 Wire 1/2" Stud - eBay (item 360226807820 end time Mar-12-11 13:51:16 PST)

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read several places that the XRC solenoids have trouble with water. Someone posted a how to over on tacomaworld about sealing it up better before installing it. Might want to look into it.
Will do and all the better reason to go under the hood I guess.

And thanks for all the responses. This has been very helpful.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
I was just searching on ebay but did not get any hits on "Gregs Marine Wire Supply". I did find some wire from other verndors? What lengths are using? 36 inches or so?

Would this be the right size for the lugs?

10 Bare Ring Lug Terminal Connector #2/0 Wire 1/2" Stud - eBay (item 360226807820 end time Mar-12-11 13:51:16 PST)
No, those are 2/0 not 2 gauge. Read up on AWG wire standards. Ebay seller name is "gregsmarine" but his store is closed till 3-4-2011 while they move. Worth the wait in my opinion if you go this route. I ran all new AWG 2 size cable. About 35ft total for all colors. Not cheap, but the correct way to do this. The XRC ships with some metric size cable{read chinese} that is close to AWG 4 size. I was leary of extending the cable without going up to AWG 2 gauge. I suggest you purchase the wire and lugs from the same vendor. I also suggest you purchase off Ebay a Lenco 840 welding lug crimper for about $20 shipped.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I have the xrc8000 and a all pro front bumper. I have to "clock the side of the winch down so the handle was at the front of the bumper access hole. I mounter the solanoid in the bumper on the passenger side. No problems.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ultimately I decided to seek professional help. Something my friends and family have been encouraging for years. Hope this satisfies them. :jester:

I took it over to Digger at Outrider Offroad today and am very glad I did. He did a great job and I am glad I did because I know I would not have been able to do it as well. He put the control box in the bumber but relocated the plug to the grill so it is an easy plugin. I'm a happy camper today. :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts