Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figure someone here will have an answer. I e-mailed Icon about my squeaking uniballs and they recommend trying graphite powder on the uniball. I imagine applying by removing the inspection cover and putting some on top of the uniball from there. The only thing that bothered me was I read about graphite possibly being corrosive to aluminum. Does anyone have any insight on this? Oh yeah, and is there a store (automotive, hardware, ETC) that should have this?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Well I figure someone here will have an answer. I e-mailed Icon about my squeaking uniballs and they recommend trying graphite powder on the uniball. I imagine applying by removing the inspection cover and putting some on top of the uniball from there. The only thing that bothered me was I read about graphite possibly being corrosive to aluminum. Does anyone have any insight on this? Oh yeah, and is there a store (automotive, hardware, ETC) that should have this?
You should be able to get it in every hardware store in little cans shaped like mineral oil. Not sure about it's corrosiveness to aluminum.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My son and i used to do the pinewood derby for cubscouts, so you might go to one of the larger craft stores that has the pinewood derby kits, that is where we got our graphite in a bottle maybe this will help you I think it was Michaels that nasty craft store with a lot of stuff. yes stuff what do they do with all that..?

:)

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys at least that will give me a place to start. I went to order the crap online. It was $1.80 a tube and costs $9 to ship! There's got to be a better way.:lol: I think i'm going to start selling nickels on E-bay for .05 with $10 shipping. I'll be rich in no time!:rofl:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I don't know of any reaction between Graphite and Aluminum.. Ron

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what I read.

Better Lubricants than Graphite
Graphite powder, although it is an excellent dry lubricant, has been shown to be corrosive to aluminum when there is possibility of moisture being present. Consequently, the USAF banned the use of Graphite lubricants on any USAF aircraft, several years ago. While graphite was the standard when the Speed Graphics were now, there is now a much better alternative: Molybdenum disulfide powder (Chemical symbol=MoS2).

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sorry... I didn't read the whole deal.. You are correct, Moly will always be better than graphite and it'll stay where you put it. It may get all over you, but that's a side/non-issue.. Sorry for the misunderstanding.. Cheers.. Ron

Here is what I read.

Better Lubricants than Graphite
Graphite powder, although it is an excellent dry lubricant, has been shown to be corrosive to aluminum when there is possibility of moisture being present. Consequently, the USAF banned the use of Graphite lubricants on any USAF aircraft, several years ago. While graphite was the standard when the Speed Graphics were now, there is now a much better alternative: Molybdenum disulfide powder (Chemical symbol=MoS2).

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got some Molyb. Sounds like a better route. Hopefully it gets here before the weekend so I can get it in the uniballs and really work it in over the weekend with the Bruisers in Rausch Creek PA! $13 delivered for 1/4 lb. That should go a long way.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Why don't you try this Dupont product. It sprays on and then dries leaving a coating of Teflon.

It is a very advanced lubricant and easy to use.

Here's some background.

DuPont™ Teflon™ Lubricants and Greases Home Page

Available at every Lowe's in the USA.

Not nearly as messy as graphite either. It will stay put. Graphite travels.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts