Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a casual CB user, and by that I mean I only use it if I take a fairly long drive on highways and don't want to deal with radar. I also have a headset mic and speaker with a push to talk button. Typically when I have used my radio in the past I just put on a magnetic mount antenna on the roof and put the radio under the seat because it never leaves channel 19. I WOULD consider mounting it but I would not likely leave it in the FJ so maybe just under the seat would work out. In the case that I do decide to mount it permanently, I'd love to hear ideas and possible see photos of where you guys have your CBs mounted. I prefer to not put it on top of the dashboard by the gauges because of how much would have to come apart to route the antenna lead. For power, I have a 4 outlet lighter adapter that also has 2 USBs, so the phone and table are always powered. The radar detector is plugged into that as well as a 2 USB outlet lighter adapter, so yes, I have 4 USB power sources.

Just don't know where I'd mount this radio. Suggestions? Ideas?

:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
I am a casual CB user, and by that I mean I only use it if I take a fairly long drive on highways and don't want to deal with radar. I also have a headset mic and speaker with a push to talk button. Typically when I have used my radio in the past I just put on a magnetic mount antenna on the roof and put the radio under the seat because it never leaves channel 19. I WOULD like to have a mount for it but I would not likely leave it in the FJ so maybe just under the seat would work out. In the case that I do decide to mount it permanently, I'd love to hear ideas and possible see photos of where you guys have your CBs mounted.

Just don't know where I'd mount this radio. Suggestions? Ideas?
For a minimalist CB install that comes out cleanly when you don't want to use it, it's hard to beat the Midland 75-822. The compatible headset/mic/PTT is under $12 on Amazon.

Here's my install thread.

When the radio is in use:

When the radio is not in use:

If you're very attached to your old Cobra single-DIN unit, some people prefer to mount them to the ceiling to get them up and out of the way.

As for where to put the antenna, if you want to maximize range on the highway then any of the 4-6 foot magnetic antennas on the roof will work well. Most of us use the Bandi mount on the rear hinge, it gives great clearance for trees while offroading but obviously has less range than a 6-foot whip on top of the truck.

Unless you're constantly swapping the radio between cars, why not just find an unobtrusive spot and leave it installed all the time? You can always put a quick disconnect on the antenna and take it off whenever you don't feel like using it.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
x3 on a Midlands

I just use the tiny 3M clear hooks on my dash. I drilled a hole in the Midlands clip. Works well. I can remove it with no trace

Magnet antennas are nice. I did a permanent antenna. Can just quick-disconnect it, or I added a hinge.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My radio is mounted to the passenger side of my center console on a springtail solutions console rack. Plenty of room for the passenger still and it's within easy reach. If I wanted to remove it it's just a few minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Small midland unit on passenger side of center console with velcro. Comes off and into the garage after every trip. Antenna cable coiled under driver seat. CB power wire connected to a hacked cell phone charger plug. Installed a constant power outlet in the side of center console for power.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Here is where I mounted my 2M ham radio:

You can do this for CB too, with radios like the Cobra 18 that have the speaker on front.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My radio is mounted to the passenger side of my center console on a springtail solutions console rack. Plenty of room for the passenger still and it's within easy reach. If I wanted to remove it it's just a few minutes.
Probably the easiest and least permanent way to go. A magmount like a wilson 2000 is simple and very effective. You can pull them all the way off or leave the magmount in place and just remove the coil and whip.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I don't use a CB very often, so I use a 75-822 and a Li'l Wil antenna.

You should probably consider an FM (Ham) radio, if you want real range.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ended up putting my CB under the deck I made for the back compartment. The picture shows facing back toward the rear of the FJ. The reason this will work for me is that I never leave channel 19, and I use a headset mic. The power is on a lighter plug which runs between the seats up to the passenger side of the console where I have a 3 outlet power extension. It currently holds the radar detector, the power to the LEDs under the dash, and now the CB. I carry a 12v-110v inverter, but that's in the glove box waiting for a more permanent solution. I will wire that to the battery and mount it permanently somewhere. The magnetic antenna stores under the wood that is the back decking, and the headset mic just comes up between the seats into the driving compartment. All I need is a push to talk button that clips to my shirt or jacket. I use it so little I didn't need to get too fancy with it. Just for perspective, I bought this radio in spring of 2014 and have never used it beyond testing it. I just don't go anywhere I'd need it. I only carry is so if there is a true emergency I can pop the antenna onto the roof and call for help.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
I mounted mine in a similar way but on the driver's side. I have an old radio shack mini cb that's about half the size. I made a couple of metal hooks mounted to the radio bracket and they slide into the cup holder. No holes either. I still have the cup holder on top of the console I use.

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I mounted mine with some aluminum bar stock, used screws and double sided mounting tape to hold it tight.
This was the first mod I did to the FJ and its worked flawlessly. Last January we went on a night ride up in the mountains and I got lost :( silly me when right when I should have gone left. I was talked back with guys using theses small Cobra's and 3 foot fire sticks, these Little CB's are amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have the midland as well and really like how compact it is. I'm also running the bandi mount with a quick disconnect so I can install and remove my antenna in seconds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts