Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting some first aid kits around, and I was wondering where everyone picked up small quantities of various medical supplies. Most pre-assembled kits seem to be half complete (though suggestions on a base would be helpful), so I was wondering if there was a good website that sold a lot of one-offs and small packs of first aid items. (I live in a rural area, so if Wal-mart doesn't carry it, I don't have much other choice).

Also for reference (and critique), here is a list I compiled from The Red Cross, Mayo Clinic, and REI. These quantities are specifically for use in the FJ, home and travel kits would have more or less.

(Apologies if the format is a bit tough to read, I copied and pasted from a spreadsheet).
Cleaning/Sterilizing

5 pkgs Antiseptic Wipes (BZK preferred)
10 ea Clensing/alcohol pads (topical anesthetic pref)
1 ea Irrigation syringe with saline
5 pkgs 1g Antibiotic Ointment (Bacitracin)
1 bottle ~4oz Hand Sanitizer

Bandages and Dressings

10 ea Large Adhesive Bandage
10 ea Medium Adhesive Bandage
10 ea Small Adhesive Bandage
5 ea 3" x 3" Sterile Gauze Pads
5 ea 4" x 4" Sterile Gauze Pads
1 ea 3" wide Rolled Gauze/Bandage
1 ea 4" wide Rolled Gauze/Bandage
30 ft 1" wide Cloth/Medical Tape
5 ea Hemostatic gauze (blood-stopping)
2 ea 5" x 9" Absorbent Compress Dressings
1 ea Trauma Dressing
5 ea Butterfly strips
2 ea Triangular bandages (cravats)
4 ea Finger Splints
1 ea 3" wide Elastic Wrap Bandage

Medication

2 doses 325mg Aspirin
2 doses Antihistamine (Benadryl)
10 doses 200mg Ibuprofen
5 doses Loperamide (Andi-diarrheal)
1 roll Chewable Antacid (Tums/Pepto)
5 doses 60mg Pseudoephedrine
5 doses 10mg Cetirizine (Zyrtec)

Treatments

1 ea Insect bite/sting treatment (AfterBite)
5 pkg Aloe Vera
5 pkgs 1g Hydrocortisone ointment
1 ea Cold Compress

Tools/Utility

1 ea Blunt-tip scissors
1 ea Tweezers
1 ea Disposable Safety Scalpel
1 ea Oral Thermometer (Non-glass/mercury)
1 ea Mylar blanket
2 pair Large Gloves, non-laytex
10 ea Cotton Swabs
5 ea Cotton Balls
10 ea Safety Pins
1 ea Needle + Thread
1 ea First Aid Manual/Info Cards
1 ea This Inventory List

·
Registered
220 Posts
A few additional tools that are invaluable when you need them.

1. Shears
2. Puncture resistant gloves (Mechanix gloves are fine).
3. A GOOD headlamp.
4. C.A.T. Tourniquet.
5. Airway kit (naso-pharyngeal, or esophageal) and lubricant
6. Sam Splint
7. Chemlights (glo sticks)
8. More Benadryl, or an Epipen if you can legally carry one. During an allergic reaction, both can be a lifesaver in delaying a reaction.
9. More Cravats.

Replace the butterfly bandages and suture kit (assuming needle/thread) with 3m steri-strips. Take up less space, work way better, and a non-professional can apply them painlessly and without giving their patient an infection.

I listed items above because you stated that you are rural in location, and so response times are longer.

A lot of what is on your list can be found on Amazon, or through wholesalers as part of a "first aid kit refill". You can also get a kit from Elite First Aid that will come with much of what is on your list, and can be supplemented to become a fairly comprehensive kit. These work great for a vehicle kit that is not going to see a lot of daily abuse. Additionally, Blackhawks first aid "roll" is excellent. It gives the quickest access to everything you need, and allows you to expand (or reduce) what you keep on hand. Since it comes in all black, you will want to add identifying colors and symbols to it.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
2 item I have that I didn't see listed were:

Small note book and pencil

Glucose tablets

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I also carry a sharpie to be able to write down information on a person. Also large zip-lock type bags to dispose of medical waste.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also carry superglue in both my personal kit and FJ kit. For odd cuts or those that need a little extra support I find it does a great job, then top it off with a butterfly strip or similar.

Obviously don't dump it in the wound, but for helping to close one up it works wonders.

My kits also have a lot more Benadryl, Ibuprofen, etc along with a shakable cold/hot packs, typically at least 2 of each as they don't seem to last that long once used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I won't even begin to list my medical supply inventory. It's obscenely extensive for someone who isn't a doctor =)

As for the 'where' to get part, chinookmed.com = ftmfw. Selection, prices, service, etc. all top notch.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. I have several avenues to check for the supplies now, and a few good additions. I guess I should have mentioned the non-medical items like lights, pens, bags, etc, I already have on hand near the kit in my FJ or backpack, so I didn't include them.

I'm not too worried about response times. I'm in rural Ohio, not Montana :) I just wanted to specify that we didn't have any sort of nice speciality store, or even remotely special store near by where I could get a variety of medical supplies. Walmart and a CVS pharmacy would be it. There are plenty of small towns and villages, each with their own squads (about half of them volunteer). From home I would have an ambulance in 5 minutes, the worst response time I would expect anywhere in my county is 20 minutes.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,210 Posts
North American Rescue, bought some supplies from them and check out the training video section. Amazon has good prices on Pulse Oximeters, SAM splints, Stethoscope and BP cuffs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Lots of great suggestions/items. There are lot of great pre-built kits out there, but you can probably find 95% if not 100% of what you need in your local walmart at a considerable savings. I put together 3 VERY well stocked all around first aid kits for family members for under $100 (kit bag not included).

As a former medic, er tech and military air-evac technician I tend to carry a lot of gear that many others may not - to include IV kits (thankfully I have a few nurses who keep me supplied... also it is amazing the looks you get when you are giving yourself an IV to cure a hangover in camp) , field surgery kit, sutures etc.

What I found works for me is I have multiple kits. For everyday, in town driving I carry a bag filled with primarily trauma related supplies - Stop the bleeding and stabilize and let the paid hero's do the rest. When going on a trail/road trip where timely response/treatment may not be readily available I, that is when I actually break out big bag.

Regardless of the equipment, the best thing to do is either get some formal training or good books to educate yourself. You don't need everything in the supply catalog in your first aid kit - you just need some basic supplies, common sense, basic skills and ability to improvise, and most importantly - the ability to remain calm when faced with a trauma/medical situation.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Just put mine together today. I like to be prepared, I combined two kits and ended up with a lot of bandages. Any suggestions on things to add?

Bandage Materials

15 - Bandage, 3/8” x 1-1/2”
15 - Bandage, Fabric, 1" x 3"
18 - Bandage, Fabric, Knuckle
62 - Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
5 - Bandage, Fingertip
10 - Bandage, Butterfly strips
2 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
2 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2
2 - Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
1 - Gauze Roll, 2" x 148"
6 - Gauze Pad, 2" x 2"
6 - Gauze Pad, 3" x 3"
4 - Gauze Sponge, 4" x 4"
1 - Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
2 - Wound Pad, 2" x 3"
2 - Wound Pad, 3" x 4"

Bleeding

Plenty - Latex/Nitrile Gloves
1 - Instructions, Easy Care™ Bleeding
1 - Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
1 - Quikclot (25g)

Blister / Burn

1 - GlacierGel (Large Oval)
1 - Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (14 pieces)

Duct Tape

1 - Duct Tape, 2" x 180"
2 - Duct Tape, 2" x 50"

Fracture / Sprain

1 - Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 3"
1 - Bandage, Triangular
1 - Instructions, Easy Care™ Fracture & Sprain

Instrument

1 - EMT Shears, 4"
1 - Pencil
3 - Safety Pins
1 - Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
3 - Thermometer, Disposable
2 - CPR Mask
2 - Respirator Masks

Medical Information

1 - Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine
1 - Patient Assessment Form

Medication

8 - Acetaminophen (500 mg), Pkg./2
2 - Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
7 - Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2
8 - Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
6 - Diamode, 1/pk
6 - Diotame, 2/pk
6 - Diphen, 1/pk
2 - Oral Rehydration Salts, 12.5 g
1 - Instructions, Easy Care™ Medications

Wound Care

6 - Antiseptic Wipe
10 - Antibiotic Ointment (.9g)
1 - Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2
1 - Instructions, Easy Care™ Wound
1 - Povidone Iodine, 3/4 oz
1 - Syringe, Irrigation, 20 cc, 18 Gauge Tip
1 - Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
2 - Skin Tac Adhesive Wipes
1 - Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10

Survival (Work in Progress)

1 - SOL Sport Utility Blanket, 5' x 7'
6 - Hand warmers
1 - Gerber Camp Ax
2 - 8' x 10' Tarps
72 hours food/water for 2
250ft 550 Paracord

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Lots of great suggestions/items. There are lot of great pre-built kits out there, but you can probably find 95% if not 100% of what you need in your local walmart at a considerable savings. I put together 3 VERY well stocked all around first aid kits for family members for under $100 (kit bag not included).

As a former medic, er tech and military air-evac technician I tend to carry a lot of gear that many others may not - to include IV kits (thankfully I have a few nurses who keep me supplied... also it is amazing the looks you get when you are giving yourself an IV to cure a hangover in camp) , field surgery kit, sutures etc.

What I found works for me is I have multiple kits. For everyday, in town driving I carry a bag filled with primarily trauma related supplies - Stop the bleeding and stabilize and let the paid hero's do the rest. When going on a trail/road trip where timely response/treatment may not be readily available I, that is when I actually break out big bag.

Regardless of the equipment, the best thing to do is either get some formal training or good books to educate yourself. You don't need everything in the supply catalog in your first aid kit - you just need some basic supplies, common sense, basic skills and ability to improvise, and most importantly - the ability to remain calm when faced with a trauma/medical situation.

:cheers:

Walmart x2, and IVs for hangovers! :rocker:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,

I saw this thread and thought that I would put my two cents in. I am a little familiar with first aid supplies and such...I am currently an NP in a trauma center and previously have worked as a paramedic, Navy corpsman, and wilderness first aid instructor, among many other roles.

To answer your question about where to buy first aid supplies, I highly recommend Rescue Essentials. I have been buying from them for years and have nothing but goodness to say about them. Their customer service rocks and their merchandise is of good quality and reasonably priced. They have complete kits (including various vehicle kit, such as an over the visor kit), or empty bags and all the supplies if you want to make your own. They stock a lot of military grade equipment and civilian style stuff too. Recently they have added survival equipment as well.

Rescue Essentials sales a lot of "reasonable" sized items, but sometimes I want more. For example, individuals packets of Zantac and other medications. I like Zantac, not only for GERD but it is an antihistamine and works well with Benadryl in treating allergic reactions. I figure if I have an in CONUS travel first aid kit I only pack a few doses of each med--if you need more than that go to a CVS. Foriegn travel and back country or different. Well, packing a few doses of Zantac can be a hassle, and buying individual packets from a gas station.... Try Minimus.biz. It is a company that sales single serving and sample items. Instead of packing a whole bottle of Advil Cold and Sinus against the chance of getting a cold, just pack a few packets/pills.

I agree with many of the above comments. The best thing you can pack for first aid is some competent, high quality training. There are like 23 uses for a safety pin in first aid, learn them. You can treat a gaping wound, a sucking chest wound, or a broken arm with duct tape. In many cases it comes down not so much as to what you have as to what you know and improvisation is king.

Having said that, if you can get purpose made items, do so. I agree that Steri-strips are much better than buttery fly bandages (which just look silly) or tryin to suture with needle and thread. If you are going to try and use Steri-strips,be sure to cover the skin with tincture of benzoin first so the strips will stick better. Don't get tincture of benzoin in the wound, just around it. Super glue is an option, though you can buy the real Dermabond. Another option is skin staples. You can buy these from Rescue Essentials or Cabelas. Be sure to carry both the stapler and the staple remover. And be sure not to do anything if you don't know how to do it. Closing a wound the wrong way, not cleaning it enough first, not treating it right can cause things to get a lot worse. Clean, clean, clean.

You may want to look into the military first aid kits. I may be partial, but I think that the Marine IFAK (designed by corpsmen) is the best first aid kit going. They can get pricey ($90), but if you build your own from the contents list you may be able to shave some dollars off (eg., skip the modified SAW pouch, use Israeli dressings, skip, the water purification tablets, etc and you'll save $20-$30. Also, look at the H&H Super Cravet. It is a sterile triangular bandage that can double as a wound or burn dressing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Condor rip away EMT Kit fastened to the back of the rear passenger head rest stocked with way too many items to list here......

Point is everyone should have a emergency first aid kit in their homes and vehicles.....

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I have most of those things, but I'd add a sam splint or two, make sure you have plenty of gloves (Nitrile, is my preference), eye protection.

4 x 4 gauze pads are the do-all of first aid. you can clean with them, pack them around wounds, cover eyes, etc.

Clotting agents are worth having, along with Betadine, sting-eze, calamine, and burn gels.

I also have a couple of chest seals in my kit. (I don't carry airways because I'm not qualified to insert one - yet)

remember, the main thing is to stabilize until you can get them to a hospital or until the paramedics can arrive.

duct tape, super glue, and athletic tape, are incredibly useful, as well as needle nose pliers, tweezers, and a magnifier.

Throw a life straw or two in your kit for emergency water.

I have three first aid kits:

one I keep in my FJ at all times. A trauma bag with more supplies, meds, wraps, tools, and a small field trauma kit that fits in a BDU / ACU thigh pocket (I usually keep it in my back pack).

The one kit stays in my truck and I have to check the liquid components (wipes, etc) and replace frequently. The other two I keep in my house and only take when I'm going somewhere. That way I know I have good supplies in the event I forgot to check my truck kit.

Part of every trip is checking my supplies at the end, even if I never used any.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts