Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm a newbie with a recently purchased 2012 FJ Cruiser. I've wanted a Land/FJ Cruiser since I was a kid. I have one now but don't quite know where to start. I grew up near the Couer d'Alene Mountains and did quite a bit of off roading back in the day-way before all this new-fangled technology ;-)

Now I live in the flat lands of Indiana. The closest mountain is Rumpke Dump which is 120 miles away in Cincinnati. I know there are mud pits not too far away. There are hills down in Kentucky and Tennessee which also aren't way far away.

So I'm looking for a little guidance. Should I leave my FJ stock or should I build out the suspension? I'm not really looking for any more height. I also want to be able to thrash it around a bit without worrying too much about destroying it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,736 Posts
Leave it stock and see how it works for you as they are pretty good just as they are. New tires to match what you need, ie mud or AT, and go have fun.

Reactions: land.crusher

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,350 Posts
X2 ^^ Do research on tires and get some good ATs maybe a bit larger than stock so you’ll have increased clearance, go play and keep reading up on mods....it’ll all fall into place :wink

·
Registered
68 Posts
I too recently got an FJ and decided I wanted to keep it very stock, except for tires. Within 2 hours of taking ownership, it was wearing BFG KO2 in 275/70/17. Two weeks later, my FJ was in Ocotillo Wells, CA on some trails. Climbed, did some technical trail and cruised along on some washboard. Ran through some sand and dodged rocks. Went up and came down at some steep off camber angles. This thing did not even break a sweat and except for tires, it is bone stock. Did not even have to engage ATRAC or the locker. Did it all in 4h. Granted, this was nothing CRAZY but well above and beyond what any AWD or “normal” vehicle could endure or do. SO impressed with this FJ. Plus the easy clean interior was a breeze to take care of afterwards.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,095 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outstanding. I'm going to go find some place to play this weekend. I think I'm going to start with skid plates. Protection is always a great investment. Thanks for your answer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts