Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be mounting a compressor on a battery tray. I had the brilliant idea that I could probably just use a battery tray + battery tie-downs to solve my mounting situation and I can!

Except... the battery tie-down hooks that I have and have seen are all 8, 10, or 12 inches long... and not threaded all the way down. I need a j-hook that can have a nut tightened down to about 3-4" from the base of the hook. An 8" j-hook doesn't have threads going that far down.

Do any of y'all have any leads on short battery tie-downs j-hooks?

If all else fails, I can try threading one the rest of the way myself, or getting a threaded rod and bending it... but if I can use a factory-produced, easily-replaceable part, I would prefer to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
buy a die and run it down. then cut off what you do not need
That generally won't work, because the threads on commercially-made tie-down rods are ROLLED, not cut.

The diameter of the unthreaded part of the rod is not large enough to cut a full thread using a die.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 3" lift, american racing rims, homemade t-case shift handle
276 Posts
Have you tried looking at a hardware store for a threaded J hook. The J part is bigger than a battery hold down one. But might work. Should be in with the eye lets n bitch links. At least it is here.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I'm familiar with eyelets (small hollow rivets), eye bolts (I think you meant "in with the eye bolts"), and J-bolts, but I have never heard of a bitch link.

Regional term? Please define ...

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 3" lift, american racing rims, homemade t-case shift handle
276 Posts
I believe the real term is add a link. For joining chain.
And yes I ment eye bolts lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts