Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally ordered a short shift kit for my FJ after 2.5 years of driving the stock UPS truck shifter haha. The only problem is, when it gets here, not only do I not trust myself taking apart my car, but I lack many of the tools needed for the install. What kind of shops will do it for me? I assume that I can't take it to the dealer since it's an aftermarket, non-TRD part. Will any performance shop know how to do the install if I give them directions, or is there somewhere specific I should go? Also, how much am I looking at for the install? Would it be more worth it to go out and buy the tools to do it myself?

Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
355 Posts
For a person with limited mechanical skills, a screwdriver, hammer, and a basic metric socket set it should take 30 - 45 minutes.

----- it's very easy!

If you still don't trust yourself to do it. Any mechanic can do it for you and they will probably charge you 1 hour of labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a person with limited mechanical skills, a screwdriver, hammer, and a basic metric socket set it should take 30 - 45 minutes.

----- it's very easy!

If you still don't trust yourself to do it. Any mechanic can do it for you and they will probably charge you 1 hour of labor.

Haha ok, thanks. I was just getting a little nervous reading the PDF instructions because it said you needed a torque wrench to tighten it down to an exact point and had to use a center punch and Loc-Tite to stake screws in with a hammer, use certain kinds of grease, etc. and I don't have any of that stuff. Looks like a trip to Lowe's is in order. I was reading the instructions for a Tacoma since I couldn't find any for the FJ, but I'm assuming it's similar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, I finally ordered a short shift kit for my FJ after 2.5 years of driving the stock UPS truck shifter haha. The only problem is, when it gets here, not only do I not trust myself taking apart my car, but I lack many of the tools needed for the install. What kind of shops will do it for me? I assume that I can't take it to the dealer since it's an aftermarket, non-TRD part. Will any performance shop know how to do the install if I give them directions, or is there somewhere specific I should go? Also, how much am I looking at for the install? Would it be more worth it to go out and buy the tools to do it myself?

Thanks. :cheers:
did you end up installing yourself? if so, how did it go? any issues then and now? I'm mechanically challenged and paranoid of screwing up my FJ!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts