Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, I've had a Kenwood TM-281a ham radio in the FJ, mounted on the driver's side of the center console. Ran the power cable from the battery thru the firewall at one of the outlets where other wires go in. I recently upgraded to a Kenwood D710a (awesome radio BTW). I had planned to mount it in the back and run the head up front. To do this, I was going to run 10ga wire from the battery to the back, where I'd connect it via powerpoles to a red-dee-tee power distribution system for the D710a and a possible future HF radio. Problem is, I cant find anywhere big enough in the existing firewall to feed the 10ga wire thru. Any ideas of a good place to go?

Also, I have a Panavise mount in the dash which has an AMPS pattern mounting plate on it. Sadly, the d710a mounting options arn't compatible with it, and Im not having much luck finding anything. Anyone ever do this or use some other way of mounting other than the two poor options Kenwood provides?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Try the firewall bulkhead boot on the passengers side (~3" rubber, below the hood hinge). This is the same one that has the rear windshield washer hose, and is outboard of the larger boot that carries an electrical bundle.

This is where I ran my 8ga. for my TM-710 and other needs. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I ran many wires thru a boot on the drivers side. It has a large bundle of wires and the hood release cable running thru it. I stuck a straightened coat hanger thru from the engine side with the new wires and pulled it thru.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
there is a nice flat spot left of the driver side wire bundle to drill a 1.25" hole

then slip in a daystar firewall boot and you are good to go.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I cut a bigger hole in the firewall rubber boot to send everything through...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that. Saw that awhile back. Unfortunatly, the rear view mirror is completly different in my 2008 compaired to that mirror and another 710 install I saw on here.
I also ran my power wires through the driver's side firewall boot. Two 10ga wires weren't a problem to add. I also ran the power cable to the rear on the driver's side placing the wire in the channel under the kick panels. I also routed the remote cables in the same channel. At this time I have a Yaesu FT-857 body mounted on a peice of flat stock avout 1/4 in by 2 in and long enough to go from oneof the cable hooks to the other (the cargo ties on the side wall of the cargo area). I have a tuner mounted next to it.

The mount for the face is another piece of the flat stock drilled and slightly bent to follow the roof line. A peice of 1 in angle about 2 in long was used to mount the face on and that was bolted to the flat stock. The material was obtained from a junkyard at a very inexpensive price. It took an hour or two to cobble it together taking my time. It even looks pretty good.

I used a CAT5 cable for the mic qand ran it to the console. The mic cable comes up through the emergency brake opening. Real handy..

I upladed photos of most of this to the site. Take a look. Most everything on the FJ snaps apart and back together. There are a minimal amount of treaded fasteners. The job is really quite easy and can be done quickly. I take my time cause that's part of the fun for me.

Good luck and 73!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
The boot on the passenger side behind the glove box is pretty big. I have a couple smaller wires going through there but you could run a much larger wire through that baby.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My 710 is mounted on the dash. I Velcro'd the factory mount and ran the cable through the dash and out under the gauge cluster. Had to make a relief in the base of the cluster.

The transceiver is mounted under the drivers seat on a homemade bracket.

Still not 100% on where the mic will end up. Right now it rests in the front cup holder.

Yes it blocked the compass, but I can turn on the GPS and get compass readings from the radio. :bigthumb:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
The boot on the passenger side behind the glove box is pretty big. I have a couple smaller wires going through there but you could run a much larger wire through that baby.

Isn't that black small plug next to where you ran your wires a rubber firewall gromet that toyota installed in case someonewants to run wires and all we have to do is make a slit in it? Just curious as it serves no other function does it??

·
Registered
832 Posts
Try the firewall bulkhead boot on the passengers side (~3" rubber, below the hood hinge). This is the same one that has the rear windshield washer hose, and is outboard of the larger boot that carries an electrical bundle.

This is where I ran my 8ga. for my TM-710 and other needs. Hope this helps!
Its a good way inside.
I ran...
1) 2ga for amp
1) 6ga for rear distribution fuse panel, radios and chargers
1) 8 conductor belden HD rotor wire for my relays to switches control lead
4) 14ga for relay to roof lighting
1) 14/2 for rear bumper lighting

All through that rubber boot

DX FJC

I'm on my phone because I'm screwing off...

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Its a good way inside.
I ran...
1) 2ga for amp
1) 6ga for rear distribution fuse panel, radios and chargers
1) 8 conductor belden HD rotor wire for my relays to switches control lead
4) 14ga for relay to roof lighting
1) 14/2 for rear bumper lighting

All through that rubber boot

DX FJC

I'm on my phone because I'm screwing off...
Yup, I ran (2) 2ga cables through the drivers side grommet along with several 10ga wires without issue.
The FJC is very forgiving when it comes to running cables!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I ran many wires thru a boot on the drivers side. It has a large bundle of wires and the hood release cable running thru it. I stuck a straightened coat hanger thru from the engine side with the new wires and pulled it thru.
^

I did the exact same thing !!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
One of the most perfect places to run heavy gauge into the cab. Drill a new hole and install a gland nut appropriately sized for the wire. 1/0 AWG for 2 Alpine PDX amps.
^

This is how I ran both Power and Ground into the cab for power distribution !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts