Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be needing a hi-lift jack and need to put it somewhere, but the problem is where to put the hi-lift jack if you don't have a roof rack.

Some stick it on metal bumpers, especially with brush guards (I'm not going that route)

I saw one guy put it along the back seat where people put their feet (My second choice)

My first choice is to anchor it to my spare tire someway, either in front or in back but I can't seem to find anything for the FJ, only for jeeps. Anyone know or seen one? Man-a-fre said he might have one soon but that could be next week or 6 months.

Anyone seen a hi-lift anchored on the spare?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You might use a spare tire-can or bike mount. Ron

I'll be needing a hi-lift jack and need to put it somewhere, but the problem is where to put the hi-lift jack if you don't have a roof rack.

Some stick it on metal bumpers, especially with brush guards (I'm not going that route)

I saw one guy put it along the back seat where people put their feet (My second choice)

My first choice is to anchor it to my spare tire someway, either in front or in back but I can't seem to find anything for the FJ, only for jeeps. Anyone know or seen one? Man-a-fre said he might have one soon but that could be next week or 6 months.

Anyone seen a hi-lift anchored on the spare?

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would advise against mounting it to the spare especially if you are running a 285 sized spare. When i had my BFG AT 285 on there with a spare tire bike rack, with a road bike (light) and a regular mountain bike on there ( i am assuming both of these together weight less than the hi-lift) i COULD tell it was putting stress on the door hinges. The door wouldn't even shut. I had to lift up on the door in order for it to latch properly. If you aren't running a roof rack or don't want it up there, i say rear seat footwell.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That's probably true. We had the same probem/issue with the gate on the TJ's. It tended to droop over time on it's own. Ron

I would advise against mounting it to the spare especially if you are running a 285 sized spare. When i had my BFG AT 285 on there with a spare tire bike rack, with a road bike (light) and a regular mountain bike on there ( i am assuming both of these together weight less than the hi-lift) i COULD tell it was putting stress on the door hinges. The door wouldn't even shut. I had to lift up on the door in order for it to latch properly. If you aren't running a roof rack or don't want it up there, i say rear seat footwell.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Mount it to the inside of the rear cargo door on an angle. Still out of the way and easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I put it in the Hi-Lift cover and strap it down in the cargo area. I do the same with the Pull-Pal.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There is a bit of room under the cargo area with the frame as possible mounting points. Just a pain to get to in the mud or snow, but out of the way and non-visible.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Remember - there are pieces... you don't have to keep it all together. On my CJ, I kept the mechanism in a tool box (mounted) and the ladder/main bar bolted to top of the fenders behind the passenger seat.

You could keep the mechanism in a secure box - you could even keep that part under the hood: passenger side fender... tons of room if you don't have a C.A.I. or compressor. The main bar and handle much (!) easier to stash once their ridin' solo.

Note: Taking the Hi-Lift apart is easy. And... if you think that part is tricky or a hassle... uhm, ya probably shouldn't be carrying a Hi-Lift... perhaps a AAA card a cell phone are more appropriate - kidding of course ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know alot of people say its not good to have it inside but if I can get out of the FJ...I can get my hi-lift out...The hardware cost 2 bucks,seats still fold down,not one rattle (ever),plus it stays clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Behind the front seats

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be scared of those last two installs of having anyone get in back. Someone did say the jack comes apart so that might be an option for the longer parts (no sharp edges) and stick the rest of it back in the jack area (which is quite big if you take out the metal bracket that holds the bottle jack.

I guess I need to just buy one and figure out where to mount it.

To much speculation! Thanks for the ideas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts