Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo, I'm a newb/beginner level offroader, and will be gettting a winch from my fam the next time I make it back to Iowa. In the meantime, I was hoping you locals may help be able to help me out with suggestions for the best places to buy, if its better to buy a pre-packaged kit or individual parts on their own(guessing its better to buy the individual parts on my own, and use an old Mil-spec bag I have sitting around for my "recovery gear bag"), and perhaps be able to tell me exactly what I "need".

I'm thinking the following would be "good" to have:
Receiver shackle bracket w/3/4" shackle
2- 3/4" shackles
1- 1/2" shackle
1- 3"x30' tow strap (30,000lb minimum)
1- 3"x10-20' Tree protector strap

I have several pairs of shop/work gloves, mats, etc......just thought the above would be a good list of "items" to have readily available. If I'm missing something, or have extra, please share your feedback. For the level and amount of offroading I do, I would rather buy skids for my rear LCA's/shocks than a Hi-Lift Jack, and I'm pretty sure I'd have made the right choice....

Thanks, folks!!! I've yet to be disappointed with this forum! :rocker:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Soooo, I'm a newb/beginner level offroader, and will be gettting a winch from my fam the next time I make it back to Iowa. In the meantime, I was hoping you locals may help be able to help me out with suggestions for the best places to buy, if its better to buy a pre-packaged kit or individual parts on their own(guessing its better to buy the individual parts on my own, and use an old Mil-spec bag I have sitting around for my "recovery gear bag"), and perhaps be able to tell me exactly what I "need".

I'm thinking the following would be "good" to have:
Receiver shackle bracket w/3/4" shackle
2- 3/4" shackles
1- 1/2" shackle
1- 3"x30' tow strap (30,000lb minimum)
1- 3"x10-20' Tree protector strap

I have several pairs of shop/work gloves, mats, etc......just thought the above would be a good list of "items" to have readily available. If I'm missing something, or have extra, please share your feedback. For the level and amount of offroading I do, I would rather buy skids for my rear LCA's/shocks than a Hi-Lift Jack, and I'm pretty sure I'd have made the right choice....

Thanks, folks!!! I've yet to be disappointed with this forum! :rocker:

I got my receiver shackle from Harbor Freight. HERE They are local. So, you can just drive there, but you might want to call them first to make sure they have one in stock....maybe get them to set it aside on the day you're heading that way.

I got my shackles from TRDParts4U. HERE You'll have to order and have them shipped. Oh....they have three sizes, but this one (10,000 lbs) seems like the best one for most applications we'll be getting into with the FJC.

As for tow straps....I think I got mine at a car parts store a few years ago, but I'm looking for a new one. I think I recall Harbor Freight having a pretty good price on one when I was there last.

ARB has some pretty good stuff. Here's their strap page. I think you can get most of their stuff from TRDParts4U too, but haven't searched specifically for anything other than the shackles there yet.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Northern Tool and Tractor Supply both have these types of products. Pre purchase inspection and local pick up FTW.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
You should definitely check prices.
I found the same quality shackle at two different places where one place had it for $9 and the other place was $18.

Here's my recent thread from when I was looking to buy shackles...LINK.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
You are missing a big item........snatch block. You should always have at least one snatch block (more than one often useful for changes of direction and deflecting your line) in your kit. This increase your pulling abilities in two ways: 1) simple mechanical advantage 2:1, and 2) puts more cable in play and off of your drum, increasing your winche's pulling power.

Maybe overkill, but a hi-lift is awfully handy to have if/when your winch fails. :rocker:

Have fun and get dirty!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts

·
fka Silverheels
128 Posts
I have a copuple of shorter tow straps, but for actual recovery I would suggest going with a quality snatch strap instead of a tow strap. They have more stretch and are a little more effective and safe if you are pulling a jeep out of the mud. The tow straps are best for pulling the jeep back to town!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
As everyone has already mentioned, there are many places to pick things up.

Harbor Freight is my fave, for the stuff they carry. Good prices, great return policy and they have coupons floating around everywhere (come in the paper, many magazines and online).

4 wheel parts has a lot of stuff. I dislike doing business with them, but sometimes when it comes to just buying off their shelf and not needing any help or service, I'll hang my head in shame and buy from them.

Then of course online. There are always deals to be had online. If you're putting together a package type of order, many places offer free shipping over $75, $100, or $150.

As others have mentioned, a snatch-block is a good idea, as is some good old fashioned chain. There are many times when a 8 foot section of chain comes in very handy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can also try Jax Mercantile, they have a store in Lafayette now on Hwy 287. I know they have straps and clevis'/shackles and if you decide to get a hi-lift they have those there as well. Just do a google search to visit their site.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Heck yeah. I keep forgetting about that Jax. I used to love the one in FoCo when I was in school, but have only been to the close one once.

I may have to stop over there this weekend.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Heck yeah. I keep forgetting about that Jax. I used to love the one in FoCo when I was in school, but have only been to the close one once.

I may have to stop over there this weekend.
Yep, they have a nice selection of hiking boots/shoes too and some brands I haven't seen anywhere else around here. I picked up a pair of Patagonia's with some Christmas cash!

Madman, my advice is to piece it together those kits seem way to expensive to me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow!! As usual, you guys never cease to help out immensely!! :bigthumb: I really appreciate the help, feedback, and recommendations. Looks like I have some online shopping and stores to visit!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Yep, they have a nice selection of hiking boots/shoes too and some brands I haven't seen anywhere else around here.
I won't hold my breath on finding shoes or boots there. When you wear size 16EEE, the choices for stores as well as the selection dwindle dramatically.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Among a lot of tools, and specialty items, much of which is specific to where I go wheeling, I also carry a bottle jack and a 12"x16" square of 1" plywood to use as a base. I also carry a few extra blocks of wood. I don't care much for the stock jack. I also carry a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, communications (CB, Garmin's Rino 2-way FRS/GMRS Radio and GPS receiver), rope, collapsible shovel, a tarp, some basic metric tools and a socket set, a More Power Puller ( to complement my Warn winch), a chain saw for those mountain logging trails, a Glock 9mm, several flashlights, small ai compressor and more stuff I'm not recalling. When I used to wheel my 1978 Jeep rock crawler, I carried a lot more including a spare drive shaft and other spare parts as well as a more diverse selection of tools. But I kind of scaled back with the FJ.

Here's a good list broken down into basic to advanced:
Offroad Checklist for the Off Road Trip

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Try http://truckandwinch.com/ speak to Amador and tell them you know Dave from fj cruiser forum and he will hook you up with stuff.. They carry winches, and some recovery gear including several different tire decfleaters, snatch straps, d rings, hi-lift jacks and a bunch of other stuff.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I have a copuple of shorter tow straps, but for actual recovery I would suggest going with a quality snatch strap instead of a tow strap. They have more stretch and are a little more effective and safe if you are pulling a jeep out of the mud. The tow straps are best for pulling the jeep back to town!
Definitely a good idea to add a snatch strap to the mix (I was going to make that point too). However, it's not good to think of it as being better than a tow strap for offroad recovery gear.

They each serve different purposes. As you already pointed out, the snatch strap is good for yanking a vehicle out of mud, and the tow strap is good for static pulling, like towing a vehicle back to town.

The tow strap is also good for something else (while doing offroad recovery; not just after you get the rig unstuck).... using the static pull method to help someone up from a low spot when slow speed and precise movement is important.

Yep, you're right, we really should have both a tow strap and a snatch strap; not just one or the other. However, if, for some reason, a person can only have one (I know, it's hypothetical nonsense, but indulge me), I think the tow strap is the better choice, simply because it serves as the lowest common denominator between the two (it actually can be used like a snatch strap is used, but just not as effectively, while the ineffectiveness of trying to use a snatch strap like you would use a tow strap seems higher to me).

Snatch strap is on my list of recovery gear to get next, as soon as I save up for it.

You can also try Jax Mercantile, they have a store in Lafayette now on Hwy 287. I know they have straps and clevis'/shackles and if you decide to get a hi-lift they have those there as well. Just do a google search to visit their site.
Cool! I did not know about Jax. I will be checking it out this coming weekend. :bigthumb:

...if its better to buy a pre-packaged kit or individual parts on their own(guessing its better to buy the individual parts on my own, and use an old Mil-spec bag I have sitting around for my "recovery gear bag")
...my advice is to piece it together those kits seem way to expensive to me.
Yep. There's nothing wrong with buying one of the all-in-one packages (if money were not an issue, and I just wanted to make sure I get everything of the highest quality, etc right away and not 'reinvent the wheel, I'd buy one), but they definitely seem much more expensive than the sum total of the pieces they normally include. In the ones where the pieces separately are not cheaper, it's often because they are of such high quality and qualification (e.g. some of the shackles out there are twice what we will probably ever need....ya, they're 'better', but not necessary).

Among a lot of tools, and specialty items, much of which is specific to where I go wheeling, I also carry a bottle jack and a 12"x16" square of 1" plywood to use as a base. I also carry a few extra blocks of wood. I don't care much for the stock jack. I also carry a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, communications (CB, Garmin's Rino 2-way FRS/GMRS Radio and GPS receiver), rope, collapsible shovel, a tarp, some basic metric tools and a socket set, a More Power Puller ( to complement my Warn winch), a chain saw for those mountain logging trails, a Glock 9mm, several flashlights, small ai compressor and more stuff I'm not recalling. When I used to wheel my 1978 Jeep rock crawler, I carried a lot more including a spare drive shaft and other spare parts as well as a more diverse selection of tools. But I kind of scaled back with the FJ.

you bring up a lot of great points. We should probably create a thread that details all of the things we're talking about here....e.g. the 'essential' set as well as the 'exhaustive' set. I don't think anyone's maintaining a thread on this forum like that yet....if they are, please post up here so we don't duplicate.

I will start the thread in the offroad/tech section if it's not there yet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
RadoRoo thanks for the tip on Jax! I was really impressed with the quality and price of their shackles. 3/4"=$9.95 and 5/8"=$6.95. Granted the ARB 3/4" is rated at 19,000lbs and the one's I purchased are 13,000lbs, but for half the price, I can't really complain. I believe the 5/8" are rated at 9000lbs, and ARB's are 10,640lbs. Snagged 2x3/4 and may buy a couple 5/8" later. I wasn't too impressed with their tow and recovery straps, but the shackles were definitely a good find. :clap:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Holy $h!t! That's A LOT! :lol: I have a feeling I won't be embarking on that level of offroading too soon, but thank you very much for the pointers. :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
RadoRoo thanks for the tip on Jax! I was really impressed with the quality and price of their shackles. 3/4"=$9.95 and 5/8"=$6.95. Granted the ARB 3/4" is rated at 19,000lbs and the one's I purchased are 13,000lbs, but for half the price, I can't really complain. I believe the 5/8" are rated at 9000lbs, and ARB's are 10,640lbs. Snagged 2x3/4 and may buy a couple 5/8" later. I wasn't too impressed with their tow and recovery straps, but the shackles were definitely a good find. :clap:
That's great to hear.
Do they have 'WLL' marked on them (in the metal as part of the cast). Generally speaking, we're looking for something that has a working load limit of around 10,000 lbs (which means it has a breaking strength several times that) for our FJC recovery gear setups.

If these are of that quality/rating, I'll probably pick up and extra one or two this weekend when we go there to check it out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts