Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a battery + core cable upgrade, trying to figure out everything I need.

I want to upgrade the starter's power supply. I can't readily spot the starter's power supply with the hood popped. Is there even a power supply for it? There must be - I've seen in photos, what is clearly a positive terminal... but I can't with confidence find a power supply line in my engine compartment.

I need to know how long it is, so I know how much cabling I need to buy.
I need to know what gauge it is (which I could measure once I find the darn thing) so I can ensure it gets upgraded, and so I know what kind of terminals I'll need.

I've spent over an hour searching around google, these forums, other FJ forums, 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra forums (for some reason Google likes to offer those for queries with "FJ Cruiser" in them...?), but I'm still not sure where the starter's power supply line is.

Could someone take a photo of theirs, or point me to a photo where someone has? The length+gauge of the ????->starter is the last bit of info I need.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I found the answers the hard way. Hopefully this helps someone else.

In my 2013 FJ, these were the stock cable connections, gauges, and lengths.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I really appreciate this info!!
I'm in the middle of a dual battery mod, and I have everything figured out, except for the hot wire that goes to the fusebox.

I have located it, but how did you get to that in the fusebox??? I need to run a longer lead so it reaches my auxiliary battery.

With the smart solenoid, I want to keep everything but the starter isolated from the primary battery.

The other thing I'm still looking for is the starter relay that only energizes when the key is turned to start.
The smart solenoid has a lead that will use both batteries when energized. Tying that to the starter relay would give me combined battery power under starting conditions.

Thanks again for the provided pix and info!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Austin, [30.05.17 18:41]
how did you get to that in the fusebox??? I need to run a longer lead so it reaches my auxiliary battery.
You take the fuse box off and out… :(

The other thing I'm still looking for is the starter relay that only energizes when the key is turned to start.
I don't have any helpful photos or guidance for this. I had the ripping out of the stock wiring loom done by my mechanic, and the starter power cable vanishes down into the starter where I can't really see with the FJ all put together. In this video (
) you can kind of see the end of the starter power supply (which must eventually reach that relay, as it starts on the battery terminal so the relay must be on the far end) but the guy doesn't explicitly show the relay.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I know this is sort of old, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has a 4AWG Battery to Starter cable. When I pulled mine out of the loom, cut the end off to terminate a new ring terminal, the 2AWG terminals were much bigger than the cable. Fortunately, I had 2AWG and 4AWG cables and terminals on-hand. Im 99% sure my cable was 4AWG, not 2AWG as mentioned in the diagram.

I have a 2012.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The battery cables are so short so is it really necessary to upgrade? I'm running a 10,000lbs winch, a pair of HID spotlights, 4 amps, and an upgraded 160amp alternator and have no issues with the OEM wiring or diming of lights when the stereo is at full tilt.

-B

·
Registered
931 Posts
Looked at my wiring today and the battery to starter cable is definitely 4awg. My FJ is a 2008 model.

Since I'm swapping out my winch I may look into swapping out all of my cables for a larger gauge to accommodate the additional load.

-B

I know this is sort of old, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has a 4AWG Battery to Starter cable. When I pulled mine out of the loom, cut the end off to terminate a new ring terminal, the 2AWG terminals were much bigger than the cable. Fortunately, I had 2AWG and 4AWG cables and terminals on-hand. Im 99% sure my cable was 4AWG, not 2AWG as mentioned in the diagram.

I have a 2012.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Y'all're right - the starter wire is actually 4-gauge, not 2-gauge. I, rather than cut off the coating and actually measure the copper inside, compared the whole width to other known 2GA cables. Differences in the insulation thickness caused me to get it wrong.

I will update the graphic(s) when I can / when I remember...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Y'all're right - the starter wire is actually 4-gauge, not 2-gauge. I, rather than cut off the coating and actually measure the copper inside, compared the whole width to other known 2GA cables. Differences in the insulation thickness caused me to get it wrong.

I will update the graphic(s) when I can / when I remember...
Well, I must say, the diagram was quite helpful non-the-less, so thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great info. Another correction, on my 2010 the batt to starter negative is also 4ga instead of the 2ga on the diagram.

Looks like the ground chassis to starter leg is 8ga? This on is not on the diagram.

Toyota’s electrical diagrams are all really vague on the grounds. Hard to tell where they actually ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts