Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new brake pads and most likely rotors. Last time around I went to one of those nation wide chain brake shops and they turned my rotors and put new pads on. I didn't like the way it felt. My stopping distance was worse and it felt soft but I was so busy that I didn't have time to take it back until I was out of warranty.

Now my brakes are squeaking again so I want to just do it myself by replacing the rotors and pads. I know how to do it and I have some time now.

I just need some advice from those of you who put aftermarket brakes on your FJ which ones you liked. This is a daily driver so I don't need anything exotic like slotted or drilled unless there is a good reason.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I always go to the local auto parts store and buy the OEM equivelent . I don`t waste my money on fancy rotors and brake pads. They last for a long time and I live in the mountains so they get a lot more use than an FJ that lives on the flat lands :)

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,977 Posts
I got like 155K miles out of my stock ones so that's what I stuck with when I replaced the pads and they turned the rotors.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I'm kinda hard on brakes, but use OEM pads ... I've always just replaced rotors if they need turned ...
:smile

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a set of front rotors off eBay...link: https://goo.gl/krkw5D

I've put about 3000 miles on them so far and am really satisfied. They cost about half of what I would have paid at O'Reilly's. I did buy my pads at O'Reilly's and was surprised when one of the long-time knowledgeable employees suggested the cheaper pads, saying they were probably just as good if not better than the higher dollar ones. Again, I've had no issues with noise or performance.

One other thing. I was tired of getting a little packet of brake grease to sparingly use on my service. I bought a larger tub of it, a little expensive at $13 but I think worth it. I have no issues with squeaking.

·
Premium Member
8,177 Posts
I had the OE brake pads for a lot of miles. Then I got bigger/heavier tires and had to change how much I was braking because I would accidently come up to stopped traffic faster. I wasn't used to it. Then I put on front TRD brake pads since my OE were wearing a little thin. Noticeable increase in stopping power. They just seem to bite better. My experience/recommendation. They are ceramic and as far as I know, no downside except they cost a little more. Supposedly I will get about the same life out of them than the OE ones.

If you need to replace the pads, IMO the TRD are a nice upgrade.

Another piece of advice is stay away from drilled rotors. Slotted are ok and some people swear by them. But drilled ones are prone to cracking.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,555 Posts
X2 on the TRD pads and OE rotors - fantastic performance and qualify :rocker:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I haven't had to replace them, yet but I will probably stick with Toyota parts on this. Pushing 11 years on the originals no qualms about the performance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I currently used Duralast ceramic pad from AutoZone. I've got about 45K miles on them and they still have plenty of life left in them. They have a lifetime warranty, so when they wear out, they replace them for free. No brake dust either.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Power Stop, EBC , Monroe etc are all good , what does help a lot is rebuilding the calipers switching out to stainless steel brake lines etc..and if you need even more stopping power we have a good thread about big brake kits going from the stock 319 mm rotor to the 5th gen 338mm 4 runner rotor which is a huge improvement, we all put a lot of time in this thread running down part numbers etc

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...9833-stoptech-true-big-brake-kit-400-diy.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts