Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I will have to change differential fluid again soon. To avoid over or under-fill differentials and gear boxes, one should have the vehicle perfectly level (I experienced this myself with a FWD vehicle that was raised on jackstands in the front section only). Where would you check for level while on jack stands, simply on the frame?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I will have to change differential fluid again soon. To avoid over or under-fill differentials and gear boxes, one should have the vehicle perfectly level (I experienced this myself with a FWD vehicle that was raised on jackstands in the front section only). Where would you check for level while on jack stands, simply on the frame?
The FJ is high enough, even on stock tires to drain and refill with the vehicle on the ground. Unless your body is X-large or greater.

DEWFPO

Reactions: OBXCRUZR

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The FJ is high enough, even on stock tires to drain and refill with the vehicle on the ground. Unless your body is X-large or greater.
Hello
well unfortunately the area where I'm going to work has a slight slope and I need to put it on jackstands anyway for other reasons (skid plates etc)

So my question stands, will I check level on a flat area of the frame?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just replaced the stock rear diff fluid on my '14 (AT w/4wd) with Amsoil 75w-90. Original fluid had 30k miles on it and was a light grey color when draining. Some smudge was on the drain magnet. Vehicle was parked on level ground and I filled the pumpkin until fluid just dribbled over the fill lip. The manual calls for 2.59 qts for the locking diff and I added maybe 5 oz above that, judging by what's left in the 3rd Amsoil bottle. Driving 70mph on highway the following day, I notice a slight whining noise possibly from the rear of the vehicle, when I let off gas slightly. I'm worrying that perhaps I have an issue with the rear differential? I did install 285/70/17 KO2's 4 months ago, but that seems like a short amount of time to be the cause. I suppose tires and my Radflo lift have probably voided any warranty claim I could make if there were a drivetrain issue. Short sighted on my part perhaps.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I suppose tires and my Radflo lift have probably voided any warranty claim I could make if there were a drivetrain issue. Short sighted on my part perhaps.
Desmo, do not despair. You have done crrectly according to what you have written. Everybody installs a lift right away, and while it might have negative consequences on the front end (angled CV joints) (guess how I know this), the rear solid axle is very unlikely to be bothered by a lift. Investigate the matter more in the nest few days and be sure to let us know more details, maybe open a new thread about it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just replaced the stock rear diff fluid on my '14 (AT w/4wd) with Amsoil 75w-90. Original fluid had 30k miles on it and was a light grey color when draining. Some smudge was on the drain magnet. Vehicle was parked on level ground and I filled the pumpkin until fluid just dribbled over the fill lip. The manual calls for 2.59 qts for the locking diff and I added maybe 5 oz above that, judging by what's left in the 3rd Amsoil bottle. Driving 70mph on highway the following day, I notice a slight whining noise possibly from the rear of the vehicle, when I let off gas slightly. I'm worrying that perhaps I have an issue with the rear differential? I did install 285/70/17 KO2's 4 months ago, but that seems like a short amount of time to be the cause. I suppose tires and my Radflo lift have probably voided any warranty claim I could make if there were a drivetrain issue. Short sighted on my part perhaps.

Honestly, I had the same thing happen to me after I changed my diffs and xfer case the first time and I was using Amsoil 75w-90 as well. I took it down to the dirt road near me and went around in 4 Hi and 4 Lo, locked the diff and then went back out on the highway after that. It helped in my case.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
My '07 has made an intermittent whining noise on deceleration since new. The service mgr. said it was normal. I doubted him. I changed to Amsoil 75W90 (twice now) and it made no difference that I could tell. I even overfilled mine a little to see if it would make a difference. My initial factory fluid looked the same as yours at about the same mileage. I now have 125k on the clock and I am starting to think that maybe some of these Toyota diffs make noise, but it doesn't affect their longevity. Just like the 'ticky' Toyota engines that go 300K.

I do have to say, the more miles I put on it the quieter it seems to be getting, either that or I'm getting used to it or I'm losing my hearing and playing the radio louder. Take your pick.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I hope I wasn't hijacking the thread. I might see if I can siphon out a few ounces of the the new oil I put in to get it closer to 2.59 qts. Hard to imagine 5 oz would have much of an impact, but you never know.

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
From reading on here until my eyes can't see from my phone glare the redline is the preferred choice for the 6speed I'm getting??

Thanks for the link to make it easy to find
If there's something thought of as better option post up
I put the Redline MT-90 in mine about 15k miles ago and shifting is buttery smooth with 175k on it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Good post bump to the top to make easier to find
FYI...you can always "subscribe" to a thread so you can find it later. Look at the dropdown menu under Thread Tools and subcribe to the particular thread you have open.

Later you can click on the blue "Subcriptions" link that appears next to your name, visited date, private messages and then Subscriptions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I put the Redline MT-90 in mine about 15k miles ago and shifting is buttery smooth with 175k on it.
Did you also flush clutch master cylinder? I figure ill do that as well on when I start changing fluids since mines now 10 years old. Just a standard dot3?? I seem to keep seeing is used

I just ordered the redline. Hoping it gets here by Friday Im hoping to mess around in the garage that day

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you also flush clutch master cylinder? I figure ill do that as well on when I start changing fluids since mines now 10 years old. Just a standard dot3?? I seem to keep seeing is used

I just ordered the redline. Hoping it gets here by Friday Im hoping to mess around in the garage that day
I didn't flush it but will be soon. I believe DOT3 fluid is the correct fluid to use. I'm hoping to find time in the next week to flush the brake fluid and clutch fluid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but are the part numbers for the drain and fill plug gasket washers the same for all FJ's? All years? All models (Base, TRD, TT...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 FJC 4x4 with 62,000 miles. I want to change out the gear oil in the differentials and transfer case. I can’t find any local distributors for Amsoil. With the change in technology over the years, what gear oil are working best for off-roading?

101 - 120 of 130 Posts