Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
what gear oil are working best for off-roading?
The best for offroading is generally a thick gear oil. ECGS recommends 85w140 Lucas oil. Its not a synthetic it is dyno. Their reasoning is below (sound enough for me) I figure if I'm changing it rather frequently (15k miles) it makes no sense to use a more expensive synthetic anyway. The only downside is ever so slight MPG drop. Mine is a pig as-is so I didn't really care nor notice.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ft-2536-ecgs-gear-oil-recommendation.html

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been using Castrol 75w140 synth in all my vehicles' diffs for quite a few years now and I'm totally happy with it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure if any of you have euro vehicles, but I buy all my fluids (and everything else really) through FCP Euro and utilize their lifetime replacement for all my fluids, which means I tend to change them at shorter intervals.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On the topic of Diff fluid, don't forget about replacing your drain and fill plugs with a higher quality magnetic drain plug. I've been running dimple magnetic drain plus for both drain and fill plugs on both diffs and T-Case since 2k miles when I did my first change of all these oils. I figured 2k would be good for a break in period then did one more change at 6k and have moved onto longer change intervals.

I also, have one for the motor oil drain plug too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all!

I know this is an older thread now but was hoping for some guidance. I stumbled on this while starting to do handle my own maintenance on my 2011 manual FJ so I am very new at all of this (lots of YouTube!).

I am planning to use the Royal Purple 01300 Max Gear Ultra-Tough High Performance Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 on the front and rear differentials as well as the manual transmission. On the transfer case, I plan on using the Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid. The Synchromax in the transfer case sounded weird to me and contradicted what was posted in this thread so I reached out to Royal Purple directly. Below was their response:

"We recommend Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle) for the six speed manual transmission, and the Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) for the transfer case."

Has anyone used the Royal purple for this? I hear it is the best product to use even though it is pricier.

Also, is there a video showing how to change the MT? I have an understanding of the front and rear diff as well as the transfer case but the MT side is new to me and I haven't found a video walkthrough for the FJ just yet.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts