Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for Christmas we drove up to see some of the family in St Louis. Well on the way home (since I drove the entire way, about 13-1/2 hours) I had a lot of time to think about my ODB-II scanner. So the scanner gives you a numerical value for the amount of gas in the tank, down to the 100th place.

So the question is this, which do you trust the gas guage or the ODB-II scanner? Especially when the gas light comes on and the scanner says you still have 4 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Sounds like your scanner is right on cos I have read several times around here that your gas light comes on when there are four gallons left :bigthumb:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am pretty sure it says in the owners manual that there is 4 gallons left when the light comes on.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I know that about the 4 gallon reserve. I just mean, take away the scanner, if my light comes on, I get gas. But when you add the scanner, I have my gas light saying "feed me Seymore!!!" while the scanner is saying, nah, you still have 4 gallons. I guess to be more specific, when the light first comes on, whatever no big deal, but when you've driven for a few miles with the light on, at this point do you put your faith in the scanner, or still freak out cause you've driven for a while with the gas light on. Personally, I get a tingly I need to get gas now and not get stranded on the side of the road feeling when I see my light come on while driving down the freeway. But since adding the scanner now I get the tingle, but have a scientific measuring device saying calm down you still have plenty of gas. So yeah, who do you trust? Even though I know the scanner is right, I still succumb to the tingle and I have to get gas immediately.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The Light "feed me Light" Is nothing more than a Idiot light for those that get in vehicles and drive until it runs out of Gas! Back Before the Light People actually Looked at there guages and paid attention to how many miles they drove on a tank. Once the light comes on, you have right at 4 gallons+/-. if you look at your tripometer, know you have 4 gallons and know your fuel Milage then Why would you panic? 4 gallon at 16 mpg = 64 miles.... I wouldnt push it that far, but the rule of industry is the light is to let you know to get gas in about 40 miles safely....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah this is true. I guess to be clear, this is just a, not really phobia, but close enough thing with me. I'm very aware of the 4 gallons and mpg and math idea. But it's just there screaming at me "FEED ME!!!" Actually I try to save every gas receipt jot down the mileage, and what my average mpg was. I keep them in an envelope in the driver's side glove box. It's a little annoying to the wife because every time she is with me and we get gas, I have to sit there for a minute and do some math.

So maybe this thread is really me coming out about my fear of the gas light. I don't know. But I do know even though I know I have 60 miles left to go, I freak out and have to get gas ASAP!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
LOL, DOnt worry I am sure your not alone... Im alot more extreme... Mine hits 1/4 tank Im looking for a gas station! :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say you can trust the scanner, but as a general rule I like to keep my tank at least half full at all times. This is probably a habit I formed as a young driver living in Vermont, if you got a phone call in the middle of the night and you had to drive a distance there might not be any gas stations open at say 1am. Not sure if many other places around the country experiance this, but small towns in New England don't generally have 24 hour gas stations.

Plus the fact that it is winter now I like to have the extra weight of the fuel in the tank for added traction on the back tires.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
If I need extra weight and tracktion I just stick the wife in the back...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Let me go hide now!

·
Registered
434 Posts
When that light comes or the scanner tells you only have only 4 gal left on your tank and you are not sure of the nearest gas station, my spidey sense tells me start looking for gas ....

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
The gas gauge and the scanner , both get their information from exactly the same place. The scanner just gives you more specifics. It does give you the option of at least going much closer to empty, but can you really trust the gauge in the tank?
I always double check the gauge against the typical miles I get out of a tank. I have had a fuel gauge fail on another brand truck. It said I had 1/2 a tank , but I ran out of gas. So now I always double check.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I get the tingly feeling when the light goes on too. I feel a little nervous thinking "oh, I've still got 60 miles or so" even though I know it's true. If I had the scangauge I would probably feel more at ease.

This reminds of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer test drove a car and wanted to find out how far he could stretch the gas

Listen to me. When that car rolls into that dealership, and that tank is bone dry, I want you to be there with me when everyone says, "Kramer and that other guy, oh, they went further to the left of the slash than anyone ever dreamed!"

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
These other guys are idiots.

If i was you, i would panic more when the light comes on.
. . . 'cause that means you're getting close to having to shell out more bones for dino fuel ? :lol: Yup, it scares me too. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get the tingly feeling when the light goes on too. I feel a little nervous thinking "oh, I've still got 60 miles or so" even though I know it's true. If I had the scangauge I would probably feel more at ease.

This reminds of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer test drove a car and wanted to find out how far he could stretch the gas

Listen to me. When that car rolls into that dealership, and that tank is bone dry, I want you to be there with me when everyone says, "Kramer and that other guy, oh, they went further to the left of the slash than anyone ever dreamed!"
Oh Tom, you must be a lady killer, what with your Seinfeld references. :rofl::clap: I love that show. It's great how they're going down the highway and it dies, so Kramer pulls over and is just like, "I think I'm going to pass."

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I need extra weight and tracktion I just stick the wife in the back...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Let me go hide now!
Ouch! But on a lighter note, when you have a full tank of gas, and she's riding shotgun, I'll bet the FJ's left/right weight distribution is 50/50! Zing.

I apologize to you wife, I'm sure she's a very lovely lady.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Layton, I agree, seems like the best time to freak out. I usually end up screaming like a little girl and punching whomever is in the passenger seat, then they have to slap me back to reality.

I will say that I've never been out west where you can go a very long time down some stretches of highway without seeing a gas station. I mean at least here on the east coast we have them every 20 miles or less for the most part.

(paragraphs just for you.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts