Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to lighten the load of my mods by replacing the steel wire and steel roller fairlead. I have the Fab Fours winch bumper without guards, and the Warn 9.5si MOSFET winch.

I'll be going for some 5/16" x 125' synthetic rope and a light-weight hawse fairlead (aluminum or composite).

Question: Which hawse fairlead fits? (covers all of the mounting hole in the bumper - and fits the winch)? - some examples:
I've searched and found no answer. Does anyone use a hawse fairlead on their Fab Fours bumper? Or is the only solution to use the delrin rollers from winchline.com (and since they only sell the rollers, where do I get the black housing??)

Oh, and, while I'm at it, any tips on whether to use Viking Trail Line, Fire Line or Combo Line (from winchline.com)? Have you experienced the Warn 9.5si winch seriously warm up in occassional use?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
It's pretty standard sizing. I really like the Fourtreks. It's the lightest one too. I have the Viking Trail Line and it's been flawless so far. They are all very good. Get what you can afford. Take a look at Superwinch's site about pulling power and line length. Sometimes a long line is a detriment.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running the viking on my fab fours
There is also viking rope so just making sure I understand correctly, I assume you mean the viking hawse fairlead? - if so, does it fit perfectly over the hole in the bumper? On pictures the hawse fairleads look too narrow to entirely cover the width of the hole that is left when you take the roller fairlead off...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
To be absolutely sure, I would email or call Winchline (I'm assuming you're getting it from them).

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I think it's a good idea to contact winchline directly. Thx for the advice.
¨
A little digression: yes, it can sometimes be hard to judge dimensions from pictures on the internet - just today I received a book via email that I'd ordered on Amazon - John Wiseman's "SAS Survival Guide" - I expected a normal size book, it turned out to be matchbox size! OK practical when you're out there "surviving" but just not what I expected :lol:

·
Wanderlust
4,162 Posts
I've used the Viking hawse fairlead on my old Fab Fours bumper and this fairlead fits perfectly. The delrin hawse fairlead is no longer available from winchline.com but the aluminum version is exactly the same (dimensionally). AFAIK, this is the only hawse fairlead which uses flat head screws so there is not dirt/mud build-up around the counterbores. I also recommend the Viking synthetic trail line and aluminum thimble. To save some weight, you can also consider using only 100 ft of line instead of 125 ft. HTH

I'm trying to lighten the load of my mods by replacing the steel wire and steel roller fairlead. I have the Fab Fours winch bumper without guards, and the Warn 9.5si MOSFET winch.

I'll be going for some 5/16" x 125' synthetic rope and a light-weight hawse fairlead (aluminum or composite).

Question: Which hawse fairlead fits? (covers all of the mounting hole in the bumper - and fits the winch)? - some examples:
I've searched and found no answer. Does anyone use a hawse fairlead on their Fab Fours bumper? Or is the only solution to use the delrin rollers from winchline.com (and since they only sell the rollers, where do I get the black housing??)

Oh, and, while I'm at it, any tips on whether to use Viking Trail Line, Fire Line or Combo Line (from winchline.com)? Have you experienced the Warn 9.5si winch seriously warm up in occassional use?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tcau, thanks for the response, that was exactly what I was hoping for!:clap:

Just FYI, I got the following info back from Viking Offroad / Winchline:

Thanks for the questions. Going with a synthetic winchline and hawse fairlead will most definitely reduce your weight, especially if you get the Safety Thimble.

1. I am not 100% sure on the question about covering the bumper-fairlead opening. Both Hawse fairleads are about the same size, utilizing the standard 10" bolt spacing. But any Hawse fairlead is going to be smaller than the roller housings. Our fairleads measure 2-3/4" x 11-3/4" with tapered ends.

2. The only reason you would encounter extreme heat high enough to damage the winchline is when the winch is powered out. It is best to always freespool the winch when removing the rope. The Warn winches have internal brakes which heat up the winch drum. If you don't power out or at least not for more than a few seconds at a time, like the owners manual recommends, you will be ok with the Viking Trail Line.

3. You can replace the winchline with the exact same setup I.E. 5/16" x 125' of synthetic. For your info, winches are rated on the first layer so going with less winchline is actually better. So you could go with 100' of 5/16" or 80-90' of 3/8". If you don't use the winch much you will be fine with 5/16".

When you get your synthetic wnchline, be sure to check the bumper fairlead opening behind the fairlead that it has enough clearance / opening so the winchline will never touch the bumper. If it ever touches the bumper (this happens occasionally) the line will break. Bumper manufacturers often do not leave enough space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts