Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auto 08 .. for towing i understand its 4th gear and D for everyday driving, but what about 3 2 1L? if i were to help someone stranded that needs help getting pulled out would i use 4L? just trying to understand the usage of the lower gears and what gear should i be using when trying to pull someone out of a ditch or something along those lines ... sorry if this is the incorrect section to be posting

·
Registered
954 Posts
Laylow, If I were pulling out a stuck vehicle I would probably shift the transfer case to 4 low and then use low gear just to be on the safe side. I shift from D to 4 when going down grades and I want to slow the fj down without getting on the breaks too much. Also, if I am in steep grades and sharp downhill curves I will shift to 3 or 2 to help with the braking. I have been on grades so steep that I had to shift to 1. Hope this helps.
Alien

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
It depends on how stuck they are and the type of recovery gears you have. Static pull with a vehicle that's barely stuck would be simple. You can just stick in drive and go. If someone is deep you may have to get down to lower gears. I wouldn't lock the diff if I'm doing a dynamic pull though. Use the lower gears for more power (if speed isn't needed) and control. If I'm crawling I'm often in the lower gears.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the inputs. Just didnt see anything on the strenghts of the drivetrain are when trying to pull stuck vehicles other then towing trailor :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts