Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up an FJ cruiser in a few days. I need to drive a few hours to get it and I plan on renting a 1 way uhaul flat bed and using that to tow my current car home with the FJ. That means I need to buy a ball hitch and hitch draw bar. For towing a car trailer with a bone stock 4x4 Would I be best off with a 2" drop bar, a 3 1/4" drop bar or a 3 way bar with the ball hitches welded onto it (no drop). I'm assuming the 3rd option would be too high, but I like the welded style for security. I'm guessing any of these will work, but I figure I might as well try to get the best fit. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Well, it really depends on the height of the trailer. I have a 2" drop bar, and it works about right with most trailers I have towed, including a U-Haul (although it probably still sat a bit high). A no-drop bar would be definitely too high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it really depends on the height of the trailer. I have a 2" drop bar, and it works about right with most trailers I have towed, including a U-Haul (although it probably still sat a bit high). A no-drop bar would be definitely too high.
Yeah that is the one I was leaning towards. I noticed the bar on Toyota's website looks like about a 2" drop. I'm not too worried about this either way. I just figured I'd ask on here and see if there was a better one to go with. I'm not sure the height of the rental trailer, so I'm just looking for a best guess.

Probably safe to assume a port installed Toyota receiver is going to be a class 3 rated at 5k lbs? I hate to tow with this thing before 500 miles, but I really have no other good way of doing this. I can put some miles on it before I leave the dealership and I have no major hills to go up. I figure it should be ok.

Is Mobil 1 0w20 the stuff to use in these? I plan on changing at 1k and again at 3k to get rid of any metal that may be floating around in there. Are you guys changing the diff fluid on these before the recommended interval when they are new? Any other break in type maintenance you'd recommend?

·
Registered
672 Posts
i agree, i have a 3 size drew bar (welded) and its def to high, trust me i bottomed out the rear of my trailer.....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah that is the one I was leaning towards. I noticed the bar on Toyota's website looks like about a 2" drop. I'm not too worried about this either way. I just figured I'd ask on here and see if there was a better one to go with. I'm not sure the height of the rental trailer, so I'm just looking for a best guess.

Probably safe to assume a port installed Toyota receiver is going to be a class 3 rated at 5k lbs? I hate to tow with this thing before 500 miles, but I really have no other good way of doing this. I can put some miles on it before I leave the dealership and I have no major hills to go up. I figure it should be ok.

Is Mobil 1 0w20 the stuff to use in these? I plan on changing at 1k and again at 3k to get rid of any metal that may be floating around in there. Are you guys changing the diff fluid on these before the recommended interval when they are new? Any other break in type maintenance you'd recommend?
Toyota 2011 FJ owner's manual clearly states not to tow in the first 500 miles. It could become a warranty issue I suppose, but I am paranoid.

You might check this thread regarding oil, filters, and towing, especially during break in.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...7-2011-oil-filter-oil-brands.html#post1861908

Hitch is port or dealer installed.

Reese Part Number: 44545
Description: Professional Receiver
Class Rating: CLASS III/IV
Weight Carrying: 500/5000 lbs. (WC)
Weight Distributing: 600/6000 lbs. (WD)
Box Size: 2" x 2"
Black powder coat finish
Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Footnotes:
Ø Uses all existing holes No Drilling required.
GP Hitch crosstube concealed behind bumper.

The dealer gave me the drop hitch to go in the receiver for free, to my surprise, (2" drop) but no hitch ball. Went to Lowe's and got a 2" ball and a Reese rubber plug to put into the receiver when the drop hitch is out. Cost less than $20 total and the dealer torqued the hitch ball for me free. Reese stock plastic plug broke the first time I took it out, and the chrome plastic trim around the receiver was way too ugly. Pulled that off. Inserted black rubber Reese plug from Lowe's to replace shattered plastic plug and cheap looking plastic chrome hitch trim. Problem solved.

-FJ Florida-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts