Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Techies I am looking for info. on correct rear OME coil springs for RV application 17 ft. trailer with tongue weight 440 lbs. (loaded)

I currently have OME 895e rear coils (1 inch lift)

Question is will i need the 2" 895 coils for this RV application. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Didnt you just put your FJ up for sale???

I had the 895e coils and i was okay towing heavy boats.

I personally wouldn't replace the springs just for towing. When you aren't towing the ride will be too firm for my likings. The better solution is to even out the weight in the trailer so that the tongue weight is slightly lighter. Easiest solution would be the lead counterweights used on the front of tractors. Cheap and heavy. Placing these at the back of the trailer would reduce the tongue weight to a more manageable 200-250.

Having a heavy tongue severely reduces braking ability and turning ability and safety when towing.

Another reason that i don't think you need to replace the springs is the stock springs are rated for the same tow rating and the 895e springs have a higher spring rate than stock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
How about some airlift air springs? This way you air up when towing, and air down when not so the ride isn't harsh

Toyota FJ Cruiser Air Bag Helper Spring Kit 2007-2010 - "Air Lift 1000" Suspension by Air Lift
I agree with the air bags for towing extra weight. Your truck should have the springs set up for everyday use and not overly stiff. If you over spring your rig it will effect the ABS system under certain conditions and will not operate properly. It will cause the back end to chatter over small bumps and prevent you from stopping. This is why a lot of people say the ABS system in the FJ sucks. Sometimes it is self induced by installing too heavy of springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts