Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
You need to find a CB Shop---usually close to a truck stop in your area. Its amazing how much crap I had to got through with my CB. All other mods were simple compared to the CB.:flame:

:cheers:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I found a good selection through ebay.But I dont trust the stuff on ebay I havent bought anything that has had no problems from ebay.
The outher guy said that installing a cb was alot work,was there anything that had to be done in order the computer doest get interfeared with?
I want to make a overhead console for my truck and tuck a cb in it along with some gauges in it. I found some cool looking gauges made by swoosh they realy look awsome with their lighting,but since there on ebay for 45 bucks each im leary to chance them. Do any of you know what a tilt gauge is called like the one you can get with the FJ,I wanted to see if there are any afermarket ones.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Yeah, Radio Shack has Cobra mounted-units for teh cheap. Thugasaur also says he got his for teh cheap at a truck stop. I got my hand-held at Walmart, but it also mounts in the truck and sounds JUST LIKE a larger unit.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I deal with Walcott CB
Walcott CB - CB Radios & Amateur Radios Superstore & Repair -

Have bought a lot over the years from them.
I also like Cobras.

My HUGE radio is from around '99, it is the Cobra Nightwatch 29.
Built in SWR meter, and the radio can be "supertuned" which it is, it puts out 25 watts verses the stock 5 watts.

Mic is mounted to the left side now.
Unit does not interfere with passenger in anyway.

Using the infamous Bandi mount too, serial number six :D

PS, good gosh, here is an updated version of mine, it has Bluetooth for phone calls
Cobra 29LTDBT CB Radio - WalcottCB.com

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Fry's electronics has a decent selection, I cant remember if they have one in Chi town though, I do know there are tractor supply stores down south now, there was one in Mokena I beleive. Awesome store, they even had AUX gas tanks!!

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Truck Stops are the best for Selection, this where I have bought mine over the years. They carry, Uniden, Cobra, Galaxy, etc. I will tell you I was told by a Tech at a CB Shop at a truck stop that the best CB for wear and tear is the Cobra. He told me after reparing CB's for over 45 years, that the Mother boards on the Galaxy's are thinner and tend to break and crack when used in rough envrionments where their is a lot of vibration. I have a Cobra 148 NW ST myself, I have had mine for about 8 years, with built in SWR meter, it is also Single Side Band too. I love it myself, it's big, but I removed the stock FJammer and inserted my CB and Sony radio in the slot, it worked out great. Good luck with your purchase. I also run the Bandi mount with a 3' fire stick.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We need one but I really want a small one. I want the smallest, least obtrusive CB that will still deliver a reasonable range. (Yes....I know that sounds a bit girlie.....but sometimes I just AM girlie.)

Is that too much to ask?

And.....I know, I am probably WAY out in left field.....but since our stereo is blue tooth enabled and our phones work through it and a mic we have installed.....is it at all possible to incorprate a CB into this set up?

(My stereo electronics knowledge is miniscule so sorry if this is a dumb question.)

I am probably dreaming, huh?

If this helps, this is the stereo. Excuse the bad photo and finger prints. I was taking photos for insurance purposes and didn't want to get GROUNDED for cleaning the face with something vewwwy bad for it....so I left it alone.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I don't have a truck stop near by, so I ended up getting a Cobra unit from Wal Mart, and an antannae set up at Radio Shack. I already had a hand held, but wanted greater reception than they offer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the door hindge Bandi mount,Do you know the model this is? I may do this.
Ebay is ok but I see there good radios are like 20 bucks cheaperand you will spend this in shipping. Truck stops are better for getting it now I think I have one near me im going to check out. I want a cobra that has blue lights installed.At first I wanted the chrome case but if im going to install it in a overhead console you wont see the case. I was thinking of mounting it on top the dash but that means taking it off when im not in the office.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Here is my Midland hand-held. Does it look a little like yours, Bill? It gets poor reception and even less transmission inside the truck, but it's great for spotting communication.

BUT, take off the battery pack and the antenna, and plug in the car power cord and 4' firestick mounted to the Bandi Mount, and I get GREAT reception and VERY GOOD transmission...just like it's big brothers, the hard-mounted CBs. And I can it remove completely from the truck too!

I just slide the antenna cable under the center console until the connector is the only thing showing, and you'd never know from inside the truck that I have a CB. I think we call that, "The best of both worlds."

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
We need one but I really want a small one. I want the smallest, least obtrusive CB that will still deliver a reasonable range. (Yes....I know that sounds a bit girlie.....but sometimes I just AM girlie.)

Is that too much to ask?

And.....I know, I am probably WAY out in left field.....but since our stereo is blue tooth enabled and our phones work through it and a mic we have installed.....is it at all possible to incorprate a CB into this set up?

(My stereo electronics knowledge is miniscule so sorry if this is a dumb question.)

I am probably dreaming, huh?
Sorry but you are not going to find anything like that for a CB. There is a "Bluetooth" enabled CB from Cobra (29LTDBT) but it is intended to be used as a hands free system for your phone like your Pioneer, not the CB going to another device.

The smallest mobile (usually hard mounted in vehicle) that i have found is the Cobra 19DX IV. It has worked well for me.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Fry's electronics has a decent selection, I cant remember if they have one in Chi town though, I do know there are tractor supply stores down south now, there was one in Mokena I beleive. Awesome store, they even had AUX gas tanks!!
Fry's Website said:
Downers Grove, IL 3300 Finley Road 60515 (630) 390-2100 (630) 390-2118
FRYS.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts