Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to the summit from New England and have gotten different advice on which road to take some say to take US 80 others have said US 70. Which highway would most of you recommend.:confused:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I'd do a mapquest search to see what the options are.. distance, time, scenery, etc.

I drive a lot of interstates, but the highways are interesting and much slower paced.

But, with gas costing what it does now, the shortest route may be best...

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
They are within a hour time difference & less than 50 miles difference. Both are showing a lot (to me) of Toll Roads.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I would suggest taking 285 south from Denver to Alamosa, west to Durango and up. A scenic drive to say the least. Or cut off of I70 just east of Grand Junction on 65 and down thru Delta. Ya this may add a few miles and a couple of hours. But some of the best Colorado has to offer in my opinion.

See ya soon!

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
If I were you, I'd take 80 over to Cleveland, then down 71 to Columbus, and take 70 all the way out. Sure there are a few things you can check out along either 80 or 70 but there is sooooo much more to see once you get out west.

Dayton, Ohio is home to the Wright Patterson Air and Space Museum where you can easily spend an entire day seeing everything from WWI triplanes to SR71s and everything in between. A great place to see.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Take I-70 south from Denver to Colorado Springs, then west on Highway 24. Straight shot to Buena Vista, Monarch Pass, Gunnison, Montrose and into Ouray.
I-70 goes west through Denver....:)

I-25 goes from Denver, South to Colorado Springs. Then to 24.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I would pick I80 over I70. De Moines easier to get through than St Louis and KC. A lot of traffic on I70 in Missouri.

Once you get west traveling in Kansas or Nebraska the scenery is about the same.

If you go I80, you can take I76 in western NE to Denver for the quickest route.
If you want a more scenic route from the north PM and I can give you options.

Have fun and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I took I-70 all the way out last year but this year going to take I-70 out to Colorado go south to Colorado Springs to Pueblo and then west through the mountains over to Ridgeway. I -70 all the way on the north side of the state is something to see but looking back is the usual boring up n down. Will probably take that route to Moab in the future.

If its your first trip to Colorado you will not go wrong no matter which way you go.
See you in Ouray!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts