Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change out my stock H/T for a new set of mud tires....I really don't do rockcrawling...but I do use rocky trails...I like that they both have 3ply sidewalls and pretty good load ratings....I also want a good street tire...I do have to get to work and back to pay for all the toys.

Any opinions would be welcomed
Tires are Dick Cepek MUD COUNTRY Radials & PRO COMP XTremeMT.....I am sticking to the stock 275/70r17 because I think that I am going to keep the stock stance.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,463 Posts
Why not just go with the BFGS A\T that everyone uses? Those could easily conquer most things.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I am about to change out my stock H/T for a new set of mud tires....I really don't do rockcrawling...but I do use rocky trails...I like that they both have 3ply sidewalls and pretty good load ratings....I also want a good street tire...I do have to get to work and back to pay for all the toys.

Any opinions would be welcomed
Tires are Dick Cepek MUD COUNTRY Radials & PRO COMP XTremeMT.....I am sticking to the stock 275/70r17 because I think that I am going to keep the stock stance.

Thanks
These are a great looking tires. I will be getting the BFG A\T's installed tommorrow. I don't really need mudders for my use. So in that respect I agree with Savage X25. It's all personal choice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just go with the BFGS A\T that everyone uses? Those could easily conquer most things.
OK....I like the BFG ATs ...I kinda want a more agressive look....but I want funcionallity more than anything.

More than likely I will go with the BFGs...more realistic for on and off pavement

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Good choice.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
umm, if you do lots of rocky trails, the goodyear mtr is one of the most proven tires out there. it is a great tire, doesnt get chewed up on the road, stays in balance, and has a super tough sidewall.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
umm, if you do lots of rocky trails, the goodyear mtr is one of the most proven tires out there. it is a great tire, doesnt get chewed up on the road, stays in balance, and has a super tough sidewall.
I appriciate it....i'll look into that one as well

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Go with the Dick Cepek Fun Country 11s ! There better than the BFG AT and they look much better on the FJ . The only proplem is they don't make them in a 265/75r17. The proof is in the pudding. ....

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Seriously. If you have the $$$ for the Pro Comps Xtreme MT's, you will not be disappointed.....:pinklove:

·
Registered
67 Posts
PowersFJ - You didn't tell us what part of the country you live in and what the typical trail condition is. The reason I say this is because a tire that does great in one part of the country may really suck where you are.

Case in point, the BFG AT mentioned above. Its a great tire for sand and okay in the rocks, but it gums up and becomes a slick on typical New England muddy trails. The BFG AT also has very thin, cut prone sidewalls. I know this because I made the mistake of listening to a guy from across the country tell me that the BFG AT was the best thing ever... Maybe where he lived. :mofo:

I'm running the Hankook DynaPro MT RTO3 and have used them everywhere from New England mud to Moab slickrock. Overall it does great. It doesn't have that ultimate grip on the slickrock because the tire isn't siped, but overall it does very well.

If you can, go see what the people are wheeling in your area. Both the tires you have above are great tires and should do well everywhere. As a more budget minded option consider the Maxis Big Horn radial. That tire rocks. A friend of mine has them and they hook up like glue. She's run them in the mud of S.Carolina to Ouray, and Moab.

But ultimately the key thing is, make sure that you get a tire that works well in the terrain you wheel! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PowersFJ - You didn't tell us what part of the country you live in and what the typical trail condition is. The reason I say this is because a tire that does great in one part of the country may really suck where you are.

Case in point, the BFG AT mentioned above. Its a great tire for sand and okay in the rocks, but it gums up and becomes a slick on typical New England muddy trails. The BFG AT also has very thin, cut prone sidewalls. I know this because I made the mistake of listening to a guy from across the country tell me that the BFG AT was the best thing ever... Maybe where he lived. :mofo:

I'm running the Hankook DynaPro MT RTO3 and have used them everywhere from New England mud to Moab slickrock. Overall it does great. It doesn't have that ultimate grip on the slickrock because the tire isn't siped, but overall it does very well.

If you can, go see what the people are wheeling in your area. Both the tires you have above are great tires and should do well everywhere. As a more budget minded option consider the Maxis Big Horn radial. That tire rocks. A friend of mine has them and they hook up like glue. She's run them in the mud of S.Carolina to Ouray, and Moab.

But ultimately the key thing is, make sure that you get a tire that works well in the terrain you wheel! :)
I am in California...just north of LA....not a bit of mud.....lots of hardpack rocky dirt trails with loose rocks nothing too difficult....I just know that I am affraid that my stock tires (which have actually done quite well) will catch an edge on one of the rocks and decide to air down on me unexpected and expensively....I also find that when it gets muddy around here it seems to have a fairly high clay content so it gets sticky and slick....if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am in California...just north of LA....not a bit of mud.....lots of hardpack rocky dirt trails with loose rocks nothing too difficult....I just know that I am affraid that my stock tires (which have actually done quite well) will catch an edge on one of the rocks and decide to air down on me unexpected and expensively....I also find that when it gets muddy around here it seems to have a fairly high clay content so it gets sticky and slick....if that makes any sense.

The BFG AT's will go well most of the time then, but soon as it gets muddy... well... :( Again, like I said, they also have a thin, weak sidewall that cuts easilly. I'd advise a more robust tire if you intend to wheel. Here's a review of the 'Kook RT03 I wrote for Off-Road.com

Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 Tire Review - New shoes for the H3. - Hummer at Off-Road.com

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great review IpeH3

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That was a nice wright up even for a H3 owner !! :) After reading the article i remember there were 2 jeeps that cut the sidewalls on there BFG ATs at the last event i attended . The 1 jeep was a brand new 4 door Rubicon . H3 have you ever done a wright up on the FC-11' ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
BFGS M/T

they kick ass

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yoda, I have no personal experience with the MT FC11. AFAIC it is an older tire design, but proven. Beyond that I can't say much. Sorry.

Of all the tires I've seen fail on the trail, all have been BFG's. Don't get me wrong, BFG makes a great tire, but the AT and the MT both have very thin sidewalls and this is where I've seen the failures. As I understand it BFG is releasing a new MT next year based on the Krawler that will have much thicker sidewalls, just because of this problem.

Oh, and thanks for the complement. Some of us can actually read and write. :lol: While I love my H3, my dealer has been really pissing me off lately, so who knows, maybe an FJ is in my future. I donno...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Some of us can actually read and write. While I love my H3, my dealer has been really pissing me off lately, so who knows, maybe an FJ is in my future. I donno...

Do It Do It ........ You know you want to ! :stickpoke:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts