Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add a tow hitch to my new 2011. I'm not pulling anything--just want the receiver for a bike rack, cargo carrier, and recovery ring.

A few questions:

1) Is the Toyota OEM trailer hitch the same for all model years? Some websites that list it aren't clear on this.

2) Should I go with OEM or a third part hitch? I don't want to lose ground clearance. Any difference in ease of installation?

3) With no plans to pull a trailer, there's really no reason to add the wiring harness, right?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I'd like to add a tow hitch to my new 2011. I'm not pulling anything--just want the receiver for a bike rack, cargo carrier, and recovery ring.

A few questions:

1) Is the Toyota OEM trailer hitch the same for all model years? Some websites that list it aren't clear on this.

2) Should I go with OEM or a third part hitch? I don't want to lose ground clearance. Any difference in ease of installation?

3) With no plans to pull a trailer, there's really no reason to add the wiring harness, right?

Thanks...
I just installed a Toyota OEM hitch on my 2011 FJ, kinda of a PITA to install...this helps in the install GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install .

I don't really don't think you would lose that much ground clearance if you went with one of the hitches offered by etrailer.com, the install should be much easier also.

I haven't ordered the Toyota OEM wiring harness yet but that's next on the list, in your case I still would suggest you get harness just in case...it's your call.

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
I would go with the OEM one. They should all be the same through the years. If you never plan on towing anything then you shouldn't need the wire harness but if there is ever a chance you might you should just do it all at once and be done with it. I have no plans on towing anything in the immediate future but I would like to get a trailer to take stuff to the dump or go camping with so that is why I have the harness. Would you rather have it and not need it or need it and not have it?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
forgot to mention, if you order the Toyota OEM hitch you have two valance color choices. with Black Valance Hitch part number PT228-35110, with Silver Valance Hitch part number PT228-60060.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
You can install the OE wiring harness at any time so don't feel any pressure to do it at the same time. I installed mine 3 years ago without the wiring harness but plan to add it this summer to tow a 2 place atv trailer.

All the hitches for the FJ are Class III rated (5,000 lbs) so just get the one you like best. The factory one is a little more difficult to install but it's a very clean look and does provide a little better departure angle than some of the aftermarket ones.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
321 Posts
IMO the factroy hitch is the only way to go! yes its a little harder to install but looks so much better then any of the bulky aftermarket hitches.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
If your never going to tow the OEM is the way to go!! There are six bolts two lower four upper and its the two up high that make it a difficult install. Just do the two lower and then the two above that and you will be fine with a ten minute install just make sure if you sell it you inform the new buyer about the install of four bolts and NOT SIX!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts