Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Which TRD Pro is the Most Worthy FJ Successor?

• Tacoma

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 4Runner

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Tundra

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well everyone, I would have to say it is safe to assume that Toyota's intention with the TRD Pro series rigs was to try and fill the gap in their off-roading roster left after the retirement of the FJ Cruiser. It is especially obvious when you see that all the features included on the TRD Pros are what came on the 2014 Trail Teams Ultimate Edition FJ Cruiser from the TRD aluminum bash plate to the TRD tuned suspension designed to level the rig from the factory.

So today's question is which of the rigs do you think is the most worthy or most spiritual successor to the FJ Cruiser? The TRD Pro 4Runner, Tacoma, or Tundra?

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
My opinion is that the Tundra is a great vehicle, but it's too big and not in the same class as the FJ. For a nice rig to blast down dirt roads and then be able to tow a trailer or haul stuff it's great, but it's not going to be a rock crawler. The Tacoma and the 4 Runner are both great vehicles and are closer in size to the FJ. I think the Tacoma is a little easier to be able to wheel in some ways since it doesn't have as big of a front end hanging down to hamper the approach angle. The new 4Runner TRD Off Road seems to be a nice vehicle from what I've read as it comes with the manually shifted transfer case like the FJ had in it. I don't know if the new Pro version of it or the Tacoma have that feature or not. The biggest thing that is a turn off is the price on them though as they aren't cheap. I priced out the 4Runner TRD Off Road online a couple of weeks ago when I was bored and it came in at about $5000 more than a Tundra like mine and is at the very high end of what I'd want or be able to pay so it's not really an option. I think all of them are good vehicles and capable in their own way. The Tundra on dirt roads and light stuff. The Tacoma and 4Runner for the more technical stuff. I wheeled with a guy in a built Tacoma when I had my FJ and it was very capable and set up just like we set up our FJs or how people set up their 4Runners. It basically comes down to what fits your needs. A pickup to haul a couple of people and gear and still be able to make a run to Home Depot so a Tacoma, or if needed or a 4Runner to haul more people. I like them both, but I like the access cab version of the Tacoma with the suicide rear doors like the FJ as it would work a lot better for me for access to things.

Oh and I voted 4Runner because it seems to be more of what people were wanting the FJ to be. More room, 4 full sized doors, more fluffy comfort stuff, and still able to be wheeled vs the Tacoma being smaller in room and a pickup that is still able to be wheeled.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree with Big Guy that the 4 runner is what so many wanted the fj to be but for the majority of people I think the Tacoma remains the Toyota of choice for wheeling. It seems that the truck has always had sheer numbers over the 4runner and FJ as it relates to a build platform.

All of the vehicles are fine choices but the Tundra is just too big for wheeling seriously. Ive seen some nice ones but there are better choices out there even under the same Toyota roof.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
I agree with Big Guy that the 4 runner is what so many wanted the fj to be but for the majority of people I think the Tacoma remains the Toyota of choice for wheeling. It seems that the truck has always had sheer numbers over the 4runner and FJ as it relates to a build platform.

All of the vehicles are fine choices but the Tundra is just too big for wheeling seriously. Ive seen some nice ones but there are better choices out there even under the same Toyota roof.
I learned real quick how much bigger the Tundra is over the FJ. I was used to driving down dirt roads and 2 tracks and stopping to take photos and if I missed something I'd just flip a quick U turn or maybe a 3 or 4 point turn and go back. With the Tundra it's more like a 5-10 point turn depending on the width of the road. It's also a lot harder to keep traction when making a turn like that if you drop the rear off the side since it's light and you'll spin a lot easier. I've had to use 4wheel drive a lot more when turning like that than I ever did with the FJ. Now blasting down a dirt road at 80mph feels a whole lot more stable than the FJ did and that V8 roar is a lot better sounding. I had a 4Runner before the FJ and I loved it. The biggest thing I missed was that it seemed to have a bit more room in the back seats and cargo vs the FJ. I liked the FJs rear door better than the drop down tailgate with power window as I had problems with the window when it quit working and my sister had the same year of 4Runner and she had a lot of problems with her window too. I loved the suicide doors better too. I never had a Tacoma, but I had a Toyota pickup and it was awesome off road. If they wouldn't have come out with the FJ I would have bought a Tacoma. I looked hard at one when I bought my Tundra as I had planned on getting one as a second rig to go with my FJ. The Tacoma just didn't have the room as the FJ did and it was hard for me to get my broken body into and out of. Then I looked at the Tundra and it was a lot bigger inside and easier for me to get into and it was almost the same price too. I'm also planning on getting a small trailer to camp and travel with so it will work better for me for that. I can't really wheel like I used to anymore as it beats my poor body up too much now so dirt roads are what I'll mostly be driving on anymore.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Then I looked at the Tundra and it was a lot bigger inside and easier for me to get into and it was almost the same price too. I'm also planning on getting a small trailer to camp and travel with so it will work better for me for that. I can't really wheel like I used to anymore as it beats my poor body up too much now so dirt roads are what I'll mostly be driving on anymore.[/QUOTE]

Your gonna love pulling ANYTHING practically with that Tundra. Fine vehicle for sure!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The Tundra is way too long and bulky. I have a couple friends with built Tundras and they're getting stuck frequently so they definitely need to winch. Also they're not as nimble as the Tacoma which are a blast to drive in most terrains. Haven't been in a newer 4runner yet but if they are anything like their past gens, they ride smoother than the FJ and just as capable. I voted 4runner but believe the Taco would perform just as well, possibly better in certain situations where their lighter chassis shines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts